Hyundai Forums banner

2881 - 2890 of 2890 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hyundai has been offering free oil change if you bring the car in before 31 Dec and have the Service Campaign 953 knock sensor detection software update done. I'm with Bronz2, kind of afraid to get updates because if it ain't broke don't fix it. I.ve been running conventional 5W20 oil with Hyundai OEM oil filters since new. I did the first oil change at 500 miles, the second oil change at 3500 miles and have been going approximately 7500 ever since; now got 150K miles on it. I did that first oil change at 500 miles because that's what I have always done with new cars despite what the manual said. The 7500 mile oil change interval is because where we live its always a minimum 30 mile round trip anytime we go anywhere, don't drive dirt or gravel, no trailer towing, very seldom run into any traffic that leads to stop and go driving, etc so just use the normal oil change schedule.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Two weeks ago I was in downtown Chicago and just getting up to speed. I needed to accellerate to get in between a set of cars and the engine paused and then went and then locked up...losing power and the Christmas lights coming up on the dashboard. Was thankful enough to get across three lanes of traffic and to an off ramp by coasting. Saw a little smoke and the electrical smell coming into cabin. Thankful to not have caused an accident and or injured anyone. Ended up having a Chicago road crew bumper me up the off ramp and to a street parking spot.

Car lights we’re having issues and the dash still going nuts. Wasn’t able to restart car and seemed like the starter failed and was fairly certain I seized the engine.

Called AAA and asked to take to recommended shop. Hindsight, I should have asked how close the nearest dealer was located (turns out a mile down road on Michigan Ave).

Shop shared I needed a new starter and that they would need to open up engine to see what issue was. Starter was $400+ and to look at engine was $450 (which could go towards any necessary repair). I have 138,000 on the clock. Received word a week later it was the engine and needed to be replaced with an engine they found on a used 22k car ($6,000.00).

Called AAA and had vehicle moved to Hyundai dealer. It took me a few days to find time to get back to Chicago to oversee move. Had taken a MegaBus home when it seized.

A few days later, received Confirmation it was the engine and that they needed to tear it apartment further ($300.00) to get photos to send to Hyundai. On Friday I learned that Hyundai has agreed to coverthe work,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Two weeks ago I was in downtown Chicago and just getting up to speed. I needed to accellerate to get in between a set of cars and the engine paused and then went and then locked up...losing power and the Christmas lights coming up on the dashboard. Was thankful enough to get across three lanes of traffic and to an off ramp by coasting. Saw a little smoke and the electrical smell coming into cabin. Thankful to not have caused an accident and or injured anyone. Ended up having a Chicago road crew bumper me up the off ramp and to a street parking spot.

Car lights we’re having issues and the dash still going nuts. Wasn’t able to restart car and seemed like the starter failed and was fairly certain I seized the engine.

Called AAA and asked to take to recommended shop. Hindsight, I should have asked how close the nearest dealer was located (turns out a mile down road on Michigan Ave).

Shop shared I needed a new starter and that they would need to open up engine to see what issue was. Starter was $400+ and to look at engine was $450 (which could go towards any necessary repair). I have 138,000 on the clock. Received word a week later it was the engine and needed to be replaced with an engine they found on a used 22k car ($6,000.00).

Called AAA and had vehicle moved to Hyundai dealer. It took me a few days to find time to get back to Chicago to oversee move. Had taken a MegaBus home when it seized.

A few days later, received Confirmation it was the engine and that they needed to tear it apartment further ($300.00) to get photos to send to Hyundai. On Friday I learned that Hyundai has agreed to coverthe work,
i wouldn’t accept a junk yard car engine. Make them order one from Hyundai. They’ll cover it.

·
Registered
197 Posts

What highway robbery! That independent shop sold you a load of bull! Sorry to hear that man. Good luck with your new engine.

2881 - 2890 of 2890 Posts