Hyundai Forums banner

2841 - 2860 of 2890 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
On the other hand Hyundai is far from alone of late. Almost all of them are putting out garbage cars in that government (EPA) driven quest for ridiculous fuel mileage.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As far a running afoul of US regulations - I have mentioned Toyota getting their comeuppance for attempting to hide the unintended acceleration some yrs back, back a then record > $1b fine, then there was GM with the ignition key but they got off easy owing to chapter 11 and maybe some home cooking, then along came VW and their emission fiasco.

But in my recollection engine failures that are occurring in such large numbers over so many production yrs for worn crank bearings - Hyundai is setting a new benchmark and their initial attempts to conceal it were pretty amateurish.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Maybe it's the first one to roll past 1m miles...so its 1,020,000??

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Haha, now that would be impressive on the original engine!
I figure I will hit the 10 year mark before the 120K for the warranty.

03 Dodge has 29K and the 12 Z06 has 8K.
Wow, that's crazy low mileage! My daily '98 V70 has 190k miles, and I consider that low for its age!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
My '11 (delivered 3/10) has 154,250 mi. and I'm the 3rd owner. The 1st owner put-on 71K in less than 2 yrs, the 2nd 63K in almost 4 yrs. Information is from Carfax.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
My 2011 has all recalls completed. The latest software patch is excellent since the car drives much better. So, not sure what else is hidden in the patch besides the knock sensor programming. Its also good to know that the knock sensor is working correctly... as some cars have defective wiring to the knock sensor or a defective sensor. I would definitely recommend ALL recalls and free upgrades like this knock sensor 'campaign'.
We need all the help we can get with our lower cost GDI engine.

https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2009-01-1486/

·
Registered
259 Posts
Soooo...if I don't take my sonata in to have the ecu update done, and the motor blows next year, I wont be covered by the 10yr/120,000mile recall warranty?

Anyone else holding out on taking their car into the dealer for the ecu update?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Jesus. ANOTHER recall. Have been reading about the software update.I'm way over the mileage 182k+ so not even sure if my engine would be replaced if the software update catches a bad engine. Not sure if I'll bother.

Scared to check the mail now. May get a recall from my parents who want a better son.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I took my car in for the latest recall, the ECU update. About three days later the car went into limp mode. Drove it back to the dealer and they told me it would be either a wiring problem or I would get a new motor. They gave me a rental car to drive. The called me and told me that they would be replacing the motor with a long block (New engine). I had the rental car for over a month then they called me and said I could pick up my car and return the rental. When I arrived at the dealer they told me that they only replaced the wiring bundle.

The car seems as though it's running okay but it sure makes me wonder if they just disabled the knock sensor hoping the car would hold up for the remaining 13,000 miles left on the 120,000 mile warranty.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The car seems as though it's running okay but it sure makes me wonder if they just disabled the knock sensor ....
They can't disable it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The car seems as though it's running okay but it sure makes me wonder if they just disabled the knock sensor hoping the car would hold up for the remaining 13,000 miles left on the 120,000 mile warranty.

Any thoughts?
If they could have disabled it, do you not think they would have done it right away and not paid for a month of rental?

2841 - 2860 of 2890 Posts