Hyundai Forums banner

2821 - 2840 of 2890 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
... it raises question as to the competency of Hyundai management, certainly evidence of organizational dysfunction and poor decision making .
They can consider themselves fortunate to be Korean. Had this been Japan, right about now they would likely be getting the sword and spreading out that little white towel.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
They can consider themselves fortunate to be Korean. Had this been Japan, right about now they would likely be getting the sword and spreading out that little white towel.
Toyota was fined $1.2B in the US for deliberately hiding and denying their unintended acceleration issue. The CEO afterwards publicly admitted culpability and committed to make organizational and cultural changes - which by all accounts he has. The Toyota investigation conducted by the FBI uncovered documents that provided irrefutable evidence of Toyota's knowledge of the unintended acceleration cause - which amazed some that they were able to access these internal documents.

I would have thought Hyundai would have taken notice and not have made a similar miscalculation- but they also got whacked $100M for deliberately misstating mpg calculations - again after an investigation revealed the truth, We'll see what their CEO has to say once the US DOJ concludes it's investigation and the whistleblower has provided sworn testimony and maybe even some documents that the Theta II issue was a cover up.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Lackluster refreshes where the new product is similar to or inferior to the outgoing one
Like the front end on the new Elantra.... bleh

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Genesis sales way below expectations

Hyundai has a major leadership problem it needs to address and now.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Genesis launch is difficult for me to understand - producing a product that from what I've seen gets universal acclaim, matches or bests more expensive competitors, car of the year from car mags, adequate or large $$ spent on advertising - how do you manage not to succeed ?

If the stock continues to decline I would expect to see some change in leadership.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Genesis launch is difficult for me to understand - producing a product that from what I've seen gets universal acclaim, matches or bests more expensive competitors, car of the year from car mags, adequate or large $$ spent on advertising - how do you manage not to succeed ?

If the stock continues to decline I would expect to see some change in leadership.
Genesis is failing at the moment due to a lack of dealerships and some legal issues getting them established. Lots of demand, but few places to acquire one.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Anecdotal

The Sonata that I bought had 2 owners that put on 140,000 miles in 7 yrs. The car has 154,000 now and running extremely well.
I can't say it was taken care of, it had a Honda oil filter and a gross engine air filter on it when purchased. Oil used was most likely 5W-20 dino for most of its life.
Surmise what you will...some of these, so far, have not died! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
The Sonata that I bought had 2 owners that put on 140,000 miles in 7 yrs. The car has 154,000 now and running extremely well.
I can't say it was taken care of, it had a Honda oil filter and a gross engine air filter on it when purchased. Oil used was most likely 5W-20 dino for most of its life.
Surmise what you will...some of these, so far, have not died! :thumbsup:
That's it, you have inadvertently stumbled upon it, the cure all, the panacea, the magic formula to stave off engine failure - ta da ladies and gentlemen it's the Honda oil filter. Toyota filter might even be better, or any filter from any maker for that matter.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
That's it, you have inadvertently stumbled upon it, the cure all, the panacea, the magic formula to stave off engine failure - ta da ladies and gentlemen it's the Honda oil filter. Toyota filter might even be better, or any filter from any maker for that matter.
I'll have what you're smoking! :cigareta:

(if you're serious I'll give you the number!)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

Surmise what you will...some of these, so far, have not died!
Check the backside of the valve cover for a barcode. If it has one the that isn't the original engine.

If you by chance do have the engine it left Montgomery with I'd suggest you try your luck at more profitable games of chance. You may be the next Powerball/Mega Millions winner in waiting. **** play both and you may get doubly paid.

All kidding aside you may have a diamond in the rough. Treat her well and you may be one of the few owners to see one of the things hit true high mileage!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
sbr ran the VIN and it's the original motor with the infamous orange dip (not referring to the POTUS!). :ph34r:
dtech, I stand by my statement! :cigareta:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
sbr ran the VIN and it's the original motor with the infamous orange dip (not referring to the POTUS!). :ph34r:

dtech, I stand by my statement! :cigareta:
Nice!

Well keep the oci at 5k or less and maybe step up to 5w30. Otherwise sounds like it's good to go for another 50k at least.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Nice!

Well keep the oci at 5k or less and maybe step up to 5w30. Otherwise sounds like it's good to go for another 50k at least.
4K/4 months 5W-30 synthetic and syn ATF. And it's burning less oil with the synthetic.

·
Registered
238 Posts

There ya go, somebody said it first but I agree. It reminds me of one of Scotty killers videos where somebody told him he had 300,000 ABSOLUTELY trouble free miles. Scotty said “ I just don’t believe it. Maybe if your very lucky and did everything just right no new engine or tranny but that’s it”.
On the other hand Hyundai is far from alone of late. Almost all of them are putting out garbage cars in that government (EPA) driven quest for ridiculous fuel mileage. CVT is a large part of that but DI is another serious yet lesser player. Still while a PITA for us hands on type those things will be pending disasters for the unknowing . It’s getting to be a very bad time to be looking for that cherry used daily driver on a used car budget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
On the other hand Hyundai is far from alone of late. Almost all of them are putting out garbage cars in that government (EPA) driven quest for ridiculous fuel mileage. CVT is a large part of that but DI is another serious yet lesser player. Still while a PITA for us hands on type those things will be pending disasters for the unknowing . It’s getting to be a very bad time to be looking for that cherry used daily driver on a used car budget.
Nissan's CVTs are prone to problems, but Honda's CVTs are actually quite reliable.

Many other manufactures have been producing DI engines for the past decade or so including VW/Audi, BMW, Honda, but they don't have a 7% failure rate like the Theta 2 engines.

Also, Hyundai's V6 Lambda GDI engines and V8 Tau GDI have been holding up pretty well.

You just have to pick the right manufacturer and model. I strongly disagree with your statement "Almost all of them are putting out garbage cars"

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks. No biggie I just never had seen a percentage posted before.
Does 2,400,000 units represent basically all the Theta II GDI engines, 2.0T & 2.4, produced?

2821 - 2840 of 2890 Posts