Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
...Service says now new recall "ecm cluster update" #953 is due.

2011 Sonata GLS, 114,000 miles. Been pinging like marbles in a metal can. Tried Mobil 89 octane, still pings. Also uses oil. Started last year. Extended bumper-to-bumper warranty expired Dec 11th 2018 (9 days ago)!
Original owner (8.5 years) of 2011 GLS with 46k miles and boy has it gotten noisy. i must have that same metal can under the hood! I check oil level weekly, very little consumption. Cold here in Ohio but who knows.

Concerned that the 953 campaign may be too sensitive and trigger limp-home mode excessively. But i'm sure HMA knows best <smh>

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
This campaign was rolled-out Aug 09, 2018...I wonder why they didn't to it when I had 174 done? It shows incomplete on the Hyundai site. :shades:

·
Registered
804 Posts
This campaign was rolled-out Aug 09, 2018...I wonder why they didn't to it when I had 174 done? It shows incomplete on the Hyundai site. :shades:
we are talking about hyundai, right?

i have both 174 (acu) and now this ECU monster (953) open on the recall site. I don't want 953 (yet) so i can't get 174 done either.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had 953 done 2 days ago. What's interesting is that there's no pinging, and that's with full tank of 87 octane. I even stomped on it, pedal to floor from dead stop. Outside the car with hood closed there's still the clickety clickety of the engine which has sounded like that from beginning.

Maybe the knock sensor is now working better or at least the software update is adjusting the timing advance better. Don't know yet about mpg yet, only been weekend driving showing 21.7 avg for mixed driving. Not much highway but some since the update.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had 953 done 2 days ago. What's interesting is that there's no pinging, and that's with full tank of 87 octane. I even stomped on it, pedal to floor from dead stop. Outside the car with hood closed there's still the clickety clickety of the engine which has sounded like that from beginning.

Maybe the knock sensor is now working better or at least the software update is adjusting the timing advance better. Don't know yet about mpg yet, only been weekend driving showing 21.7 avg for mixed driving. Not much highway but some since the update.
I had to switch to 93 octane some months ago due to pinging. I recently tried switching back since the weather cooled, but it made no difference whatsoever. Haven’t tried it since having the recall performed though. This makes it tempting.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well I for one won't be doing this update, it's pointless really. I've seen so many issues with this update and there's no extended warranty or point to it. This update should be at least equal or greater than Kia's with the unlimited miles. Then again if I got this update it would probably unpair my module and I wouldn't be able to use the Lap 3 tune... I'm at 131K miles and have been tuned for about 81K miles now.

BTW there was a car that was in for service a couple days before it caught fire and burned to the ground. It was a 2012 with 48k miles. Hyundai bought the car back for 16K which makes me very suspicious. They did every recall besides 935....

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I might as well get the car done...I've been in "limp mode" for years! :surprise:
The wife=:rant2:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Is it a matter of time before folks start parking their cars outside their garages?!
I might consider doing that for 2 reasons :

maybe the fire threat is one of spontaneous combustion and I don't want to risk burning down the house or garage for that matter.

I can store better junk in the garage in the space that my Hyundai occupies. :laugh:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well I for one won't be doing this update, it's pointless really. I've seen so many issues with this update
Can you provide a link to all the issues with this update?
+1. I’ve seen people comment here about there being issues with this specific recall, but haven’t seen one person mention what the particular issues are, either here or on other sites. Plus the potential for limp mode is great right now since it seems every Hyundai dealership under the sun - even the bad ones - are currently replacing engines free of charge, since PA seems to be approving tons of requests.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Can you provide a link to all the issues with this update?
+1. I’ve seen people comment here about there being issues with this specific recall, but haven’t seen one person mention what the particular issues are, either here or on other sites. Plus the potential for limp mode is great right now since it seems every Hyundai dealership under the sun - even the bad ones - are currently replacing engines free of charge, since PA seems to be approving tons of requests.
There are a couple other threads, but this one is a good summary of the issues related to this program.

The problems start with post #28
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/lf-2015-sonata-i45/641393-2015-sonata-2-4l-2-0t-ecu-cluster-software-update-service-campaign-953-a-3.html

·
Registered
605 Posts
Had the update done this morning, and no problems. They have outstanding coffee. Drank coffee watched CNN News.

Anyway, they pulled the car in at 10:00 and at 10:35 the car was ready. Filled up my coffee cup for the drive home. The car drives the same. I didn't notice anything different. The Sonata performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well I for one won't be doing this update, it's pointless really. I've seen so many issues with this update and there's no extended warranty or point to it. This update should be at least equal or greater than Kia's with the unlimited miles. Then again if I got this update it would probably unpair my module and I wouldn't be able to use the Lap 3 tune... I'm at 131K miles and have been tuned for about 81K miles now.

BTW there was a car that was in for service a couple days before it caught fire and burned to the ground. It was a 2012 with 48k miles. Hyundai bought the car back for 16K which makes me very suspicious. They did every recall besides 935....

From my recent engine replacement that included the ECU update (to get the forever warranty) from what I can tell (still early on), it didn't affect my LAP3USA ECU tune behavior (Stage 1.5+). I'm not "getting on it" until the 600 mile break-in time-frame is complete so we'll see then for sure.

Car has been flawless to date (under 200 miles).

Now, I don't swap around from Stock to Stage 1 or Stage 1.5+ so maybe that will break if I tried it, IDK. When I spoke with David from LAP3USA, he mentioned that if I needed a re-pairing the cost would only be $150.

·
Registered
71 Posts
update-it’s been done on my 2.0 for about 3 weeks now, morning after the 935 recall I am mediately noticed Louder tapping/knocking on initial cold starts on the engine followed by a little bit of a burn oil burn rubber smell coming from exhaust brought the car to a new dealership as I’m having an issue with my local dealer they said they made a adjustment?!? inside of the intake manifold and that was where the tapping was coming from The oil looked little glittery but they found no internal damage or where other than just a little bit of shavings making the oil glittery so they flush the engine and inspected the oil pump to make sure that it was not clogged blocked or covered with any shavings had the car back within a day and a half free of charge Still has a slight burning rubber/plastic smell look on Ashley told start at the tapping and knocking is gone away now so I don’t know what to make of the situation

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
...punctuation would also help...and what's with the random caps? (And who is Ashley?)

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
...punctuation would also help...and what's with the random caps? (And who is Ashley?)

Ashley is the woman who wasn't in the woods to hear the man say something :)

21 - 40 of 125 Posts