Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this latest recall done on their Tucson's yet ?

We received our notice from Hyundai today. Hyundai says: the hydraulic electronic control unit (HECU) could corrode.
Hyundai will install a fuse kit onto the ABS module and update the ABS/ESC software.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like another BS band-aid. Just got out of the 2016 DCT dangerous issue, and now an ABS module that could corrode and cause an engine fire.. and all they will do is put a fuse in and update software. I would like to know what the fuse will do and how this will solve the problem and keep it safe. Sounds like it is NOT fixing the problem... and we will see another class action down the road. Only this time I will not be replacing it with another Hyundai.

UPDATE: My letter said the same thing you mentioned above... fuse and software. But the recall letter files with NHTSA said the ABS module will be completely replaced. So, WHY does our recall letter have a LESS satisfactory solution? Anyone else get any info on this? I AM SO TIRED of dealing with this Hyundai crap.

ANOTHER UPDATE (since this has me really irate now): Called Hyundai, and their automated system said I have TWO recalls open... both with #195.. one for software/fuse and the other for ABS repair. I want the **** defective ABS unit replaced... NHTSA document says it will be replaced. Hyundai text message on recalls says it will be "repaired".... Hyundai letter says nothing about repair or replace ABS unit. If there are any techs on here that can help shed some light on this, I think many will appreciate that!

·
Registered
43 Posts
So when I talked to Hyundai customer service they said that dealers now have parts... I called my local dealer and they said, NO. Nothing yet. And they think it is ONLY the fuse and software. I will not accept having a faulty ABS module and a band-aid on it. They need to be able to tell me conclusively that my ABS module does not have the issue and will NEVER have the issue before I will accept a fuse and software. If the software just turns off power when parked and the fuse is meant to detect a short and keep it from causing a fire, that all tells me that the fault still exists and they are cheaping out at the expense of our safety. They will need to tell us all WHY the NHTSA filing says the ABS will be replaced and now they are not doing it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I really like the Tuson and will keep it a few more years, but most likely my last Hyundai. Just way to many problems in basically there whole line up...:confused:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Received the notice yesterday.
Scheduled an appointment for this coming Friday.
The service rep said it will take 2.5-3 hours for the work to be done.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I went in for a NY State inspection and oil change last week and was told about the recall. The service was performed then, and yesterday I got the recall letter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I opened my letter yesterday then called the dealer and they said all the parts are on back order and they'll call me, no eta...:oops:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like they just updated this recall to include certain 2016 - 2021 Tucson models. I got the recall info via the Bluelink health check email.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I called dealer 2 months ago, still waiting to get in ....:oops:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I finally have an appointment next Monday. I really want to find out what the software change is. I assume it is for powering down the ABS when car is off. And I assume the fuse is to catch a short "hopefully" before anything bad happens. But I would sure like to get clear explanation from Hyundai on this. I don't think it is too much to ask of Hyundai to explain to us HOW these changes will make the vehicle safe and why they are not replacing the defective ABS.

If anyone gets any info from their dealer/tech please pass it on. Or the tech document for the work being done.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It look like this recall includes 2016-2018 model years as well (I have a 2017). However, apparently THERE IS NO SOLUTION as of yet for these model years. My dealer advised me to contact Hyundai for more info. I'll be sure to keep my Tucson parked outside in the hope it doesn't spontaneously combust before Hyundai develops a fix :(

Recall 195 20V543000 HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA (HYUNDAI) IS RECALLING CERTAIN 2016-2021 TUCSON VEHICLES. THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKE HYDRAULIC ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT (HECU) COULD CORRODE INTERNALLY AND CAUSE AN ELECTRICAL SHORT, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE. THE SUBJECT VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM ("ABS") MODULES THAT COULD MALFUNCTION INTERNALLY AND CAUSE AN ELECTRICAL SHORT OVER TIME, AN ELECTRICAL SHORT COULD RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT OVERCURRENT IN THE ABS MODULE, INCREASING THE RISK OF AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE. CUSTOMERS CAN CONTINUE DRIVING THESE VEHICLES; HOWEVER HYUNDAI RECOMMENDS PARKING THESE VEHICLES OUTSIDE AND AWAY FROM STRUCTURES UNTIL THE RECALL REMEDY IS COMPLETED. HYUNDAI PLANS TO NOTIFY OWNERS TO BRING THEIR VEHICLES TO THE NEAREST HYUNDAI DEALERSHIP FOR REPLACEMENT OF THE ABS MODULE FUSE. FOR MODEL YEAR 2019-2021 AFFECTED VEHICLES, THE ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL ("ESC") SOFTWARE WILL REQUIRE AN UPDATE FOR USE WITH THE NEW FUSE. THE REMEDY PROCEDURE WILL BE PERFORMED AT NO CHARGE. HYUNDAI WILL PROVIDE REIMBURSEMENT TO OWNERS FOR REPAIRS ACCORDING TO THE PLAN SUBMITTED TO NHTSA ON MAY 16, 2018. FOR 2016-18 MODEL YEAR TUCSON (TL) AFFECTED VEHICLES, THE SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR THE AFOREMENTIONED REMEDY IS CURRENTLY UNDER DEVELOPMENT BY HMA AND NOT YET AVAILABLE.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Noticed a few new recall PDFs : https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V543-3047.PDF and

“ The new fuse is rated at a lower amperage to effectively limit the operating current of the ABS module”

“Although unsuccessful in determining an exact root cause, HMC concluded that the risk of an electrical short resulting in a fire could be mitigated by limiting the operating current in the ABS module through a lower amperage fuse. Based on this information, Hyundai implemented a production running change in November 2020 to replace the current-limiting 40 amp fuse in the affected ABS modules with a 25-amp version.”

·
Registered
448 Posts
Anyone had luck with this. I wouldn't have known about this until just reading the posts. I've heard nothing from Hyundai.
Relax! Every time you visit dealership for oil change, they check VIN for recalls. Let me guess that you already checked recalls and found out non.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am relaxed, just interesting that I haven't heard from Hyundai but my VIN pulls up the recall. I've only been to the dealer twice - I do all of the other maintenance myself. Going to be changing the belt this weekend.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called my Hyundai dealer Dec 1, 2020 about the notice I received from Hyundai on this 20V-543 safety recall.
Like others have said here, the dealer told me that the "parts are out of stock", and said they will call when parts are available.
Haven't heard from them yet.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I booked an appointment online at my local dealer for next Monday and the dealer so far has not balked. We'll see if this gets done next week.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts