Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Sonata Hybrid that has fallen under the recall 198 for the connecting rod bearings. I have spoken with a service technician and a service manager at my local dealership and there seems to be a very large problem that I want to get to the bottom of. The recall for those that don't know is for the connecting rod bearing being worn prematurally and causing engine premature engine damage. For my car in particular this engine damage ended up only being notices when the engine had a catastrophic malfunction and the connecting rod on one of the cylinders failed. My local dealership has told me that there were 11 cars before mine that had "blown engine". Then a few weeks later I called to check in and found out there were 6 vehicles before me and they had now 30 cars on the lot with "blown engines". I was told by one of the service people at this dealership that some of the people with blown engines are having to pay $10,000 out of pocket to put in the car. I think most can see how this is problematic, I luckily had an extended warranty that is picking up most of the bill. My issue though lies with the people not as lucky. With Hyundai knowing of this issue and having an active recall for something that can cause catastrophic engine failure, shouldn't they be checking all of these cars that could be affected even if the engine is blown? The main reason i ask is because i spoke with the service manager and he told me the check for the recall is for them to have the engine in the car and run the engine to find out via sensors if the motor is still within spec. As many of you might be able to see though having a running engine to have sensor see if a motor is in spec is not possible if your engine is blown up. Has anyone else had issues with this recall or had their motor blow up and you are fighting with your dealership to get it replaced or have been told to pay the close to $10,000 for a new engine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Print out this link from the NHTSA site for this recall and ask your dealer why they are not supposed to check the bearings using the noted test equipment and procedure. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10190044-0001.pdf

The warranty extension: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10190049-0001.pdf

The TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCRIT-20V746-0573.pdf
I will bring this up to him and find out why he either lied or isn't using the equipment, but even with this type of test how would one test a blown up motor where they cant get it to go turn over to be at TDC? The service manager also told me they (being hyundai service) are never told what the exact sizes are to measure even if he wanted to take the oil pan off an manually measure the clearances. So from my understanding this is still leaving people that have experienced catastrophic engine failure with a $10,000 bill without anyway to prove it was Hyundai's recall and miss manufacturing of parts.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The third page of the last link, the TSB, has a fault tree to follow. The first question is "Does the crankshaft rotate normally with Crankshaft Rotator SST?"

If the engine failed for a non-recall reason , yeah, that may be a challenge to get covered under warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The third page of the last link, the TSB, has a fault tree to follow. The first question is "Does the crankshaft rotate normally with Crankshaft Rotator SST?"

If the engine failed for a non-recall reason , yeah, that may be a challenge to get covered under warranty.
It just seems to me that if the engine fails and there is a known issue with the engines failing, you then have to submit to them to say "It's failed but we can't diagnose due to lack of ability turning the crank. Now we need to replace the engine." I am just not seeing what Hyundai's incentive is to replace said engine vs just saying "It's the users fault so they need to pay to replace the engine." It appears to my untrained eye they are trying to make an arbitrary test that has a LOT of variables so that the motors have a high likelihood to pass, then the motors that failed already due to bad design/specifications. they won't cover because they cant run the test and you are simply asking them to replace it because it would be the right thing to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I took my 2016 in for the recall and they said it was in spec. They never told me the warranty was extended to 150,000 miles on the engine. They said there are some relays that need to be replaced as part of the recall and they had to order them. That was 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard back from them about installing the relays. I also never got any paperwork on the recall even though I asked.....nothing about that it was inspected and checked out ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took my 2016 in for the recall and they said it was in spec. They never told me the warranty was extended to 150,000 miles on the engine. They said there are some relays that need to be replaced as part of the recall and they had to order them. That was 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard back from them about installing the relays. I also never got any paperwork on the recall even though I asked.....nothing about that it was inspected and checked out ok.
According to to all the recall stuff i've read there is nothing about a relay. Only a program update. I'm not understanding why service centers are not being upfront about what is going on and what needs to be done. I'm close to getting an attorney to start going after service centers on this. They need to be upfront and honest about what is going on with peoples cars.

·
Registered
516 Posts
These are 2 different issues/recalls here. One has to do with the ICE (this thread), and the other has to do with the Hybrid Charging system (relays). Yes, it is unnerving to have recalls to the major systems of this Hybrid vehicle...

There should be solid paperwork and data showing the inspection of the connecting rods was acceptable and anything warranty wise resulting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are 2 different issues/recalls here. One has to do with the ICE (this thread), and the other has to do with the Hybrid Charging system (relays). Yes, it is unnerving to have recalls to the major systems of this Hybrid vehicle...

There should be solid paperwork and data showing the inspection of the connecting rods was acceptable and anything warranty wise resulting.
I did not know of that recall, in that case what I said about not reading about it is irrelevant. Thank you JKK for pointing out the 2nd recall.

I am one that understands companies make mistakes on cars they are complex machines and getting every single one perfect is incredibly difficult and would add a substantial cost. So im not against recalls or companies having to have them or get them fixed. But I see recall 198 as the NHTSA had to force Hyundai to do something. Along with at the minimum my dealership and service center being very shady and not helping how they should with a known problem, as a huge issue that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, they were very shady. I said to the service guy you have to take the pan off and remove the bearings to inspect them don't you? He said no and told me about the hookey piston moving test. He even admitted it was suspect in detecting the problem. Also, and as I said they provided no paperwork. I figured I would request it again when I get called back in for the relays but now I wonder if that is ever going to happen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes the test they have for the check on recall 198 is not very accurate because you have the play of the wrist pin and main bearings for the crank moving so there is a lot of moving parts so its not very accurate to measure just that 1 part. So i feel like this test is designed to make 99.99% of the vehicles pass then when they blow up later on the service center will look at the customer and state. "You must have ran the car out of oil" or something similar and try and make it so the customer pays for a new engine. My service center also purposely filled my oil as low as possible. I found this out because i checked the oil level and it was at the bottom of the dipstick. There was also a puddle of oil under my car when back in my driveway. They claimed that was just residual oil from the chassis from when the motor blew up.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yes the test they have for the check on recall 198 is not very accurate because you have the play of the wrist pin and main bearings for the crank moving so there is a lot of moving parts so its not very accurate to measure just that 1 part. So i feel like this test is designed to make 99.99% of the vehicles pass then when they blow up later on the service center will look at the customer and state. "You must have ran the car out of oil" or something similar and try and make it so the customer pays for a new engine. My service center also purposely filled my oil as low as possible. I found this out because i checked the oil level and it was at the bottom of the dipstick. There was also a puddle of oil under my car when back in my driveway. They claimed that was just residual oil from the chassis from when the motor blew up.
Ya I wonder how many vehicles would get inspected this way and they find it to not pass and go good thing we caught it in time, here is a "new" motor for ya. I would take the vehicle back and make them detail the engine compartment or areas they left a mess then for a variety of reasons. First steps with issues/leaks is to have the area clean so as to determine where the leak really is and them leaving oil all over like that is not professional. Does the vehicle have all the underbody splash guards? Would seem like a lot of oil to be coming through those then. Not to mention the fill level of the oil being low...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I wonder how many vehicles would get inspected this way and they find it to not pass and go good thing we caught it in time, here is a "new" motor for ya. I would take the vehicle back and make them detail the engine compartment or areas they left a mess then for a variety of reasons. First steps with issues/leaks is to have the area clean so as to determine where the leak really is and them leaving oil all over like that is not professional. Does the vehicle have all the underbody splash guards? Would seem like a lot of oil to be coming through those then. Not to mention the fill level of the oil being low...
The splash guards are not on otherwise I most likely wouldn't have noticed. I see no reason they couldn't have seen where it was coming from because its supposed to be a new motor in my car. A new motor should not be dirty or have any oil on it at all. They have also lied to the State Attorney because they claimed I "oked" the new parts they wanted to charge me for when I very clearly didn't.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Still nothing from my dealer about installing the relays. I even emailed them 5 days ago and no response. I requested the results/paperwork for the recall work in the same email. Nothing but crickets from them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts