Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 2000 Hyundai Sonata in April 2009. Since I purchased the car (11 months ago), I have had to replace the front passenger side wheel bearing 3 times. I just had the job done the third time three days ago, and it turns out that the wheel bearing, which was purchased at a Hyundai Dealership and replaced by my own personal mechanic, NOT A DEALERSHIP, is thoroughly rusted and in many pieces. This wheel bearing was replaced 4 months ago.

I'm wondering if there anre any other Hyundai owners who have had similar experiences regarding a worn out wheel bearing on the front passenger side associated with the subframe recall.

I've had my car in for the subframe rust recall, and it took the dealership all of 5 minutes to determine that the car was a safety risk and needed to have the recall work done - big hole in the frame after tapping on it with a hammer. They replaced the subframe.

Since I got my car back from the recall, I am noticing that it "sits" a little differently than it did before the subframe replacement. I notice that the front end is sitting higher up than it was before the work was done - kinda like the car is slightly jacked up in the front end now. The dealership was trying to tell me that although I had severe rust, there were no structural changes on the subframe due to the recall. But as the car is now "sitting" differently I am tending to disagree on this point. Is my logic flawed here?

After picking up my car at the dealership after the subframe replacement, I only drove it 200 feet before I turned around and headed straight back to the dealership - I could hear the wheel bearing noise. Funny thing is, the dealership found other things wrong with my car when they did the subframe, yet they NEVER mentioned the wheel bearing. Seems kind of like they were trying to cover something up.... they got all cagey when I told them I could hear trouble with the wheel bearing, and just by coincidence the mechanic was standing there, and he did acknowledge the wheel bearing issue, but tried to blame it on the car being too old. This, after I had already replaced the wheel bearing twice within the past 6 months. Why on earth would they send me on my way with a bad wheel bearing and not even mention it to me? Smells fishy to me.

Another thing that happened to me that I'm wondering if any one else has a shared experience, is that a couple of months after I got the car, before the subframe work was done, the windhield broke spontaneously while I was on a steep curve on an entrance ramp to a highway. I could feel the weight of the car shift and "POP!" the windshield cracked. No impact anywhere. Careful inspection with a magnifying glass does not show any microscopic "cracks" or "nicks". Now I'm wondering about this because I have read that some folks subframes have cracked while going around a corner on the highway, so I'm wondering what else might have a tendency to break while cornering on a highway if the subframe is in poor condition and the weight is getting shifted all over the place.

Besides the fact that the dealership did not disclose the problem with the wheel bearing, I had originally brought my car into the dealership last July or August, only a few months after I had purchased it, to try to get the recall work done, which I had become aware of by doing an internet search. The dealership told me at the time that my car was out of warranty and therefore not covered, which I knew to be false, but I couldn't get the dealership to change their minds. I also knew however that if this was a national safety recall, I would eventually have to be contacted by the manufacturer, so I decided to just wait. Once I had the letter from Hyundai, the dealership changed it's tune, and they went ahead with the recall work - some 8 months after I had originally brought it in.

So, between the wheel bearing problem not being disclosed and the fact that the dealership told me I wasn't covered by the recall when in fact I actually WAS covered leaves me in a position where I feel I cannot trust the dealership anymore. If they weren't telling me these things, what else aren't they telling me? That perhaps they are liable for the wheel bearing too, but don't want to admit it? Maybe the windsheild too? Or that I may have a bent axle as well? I have to wonder....

Furthermore, now that I have my car back from the recall work it seems that the front end has a slight wobble or shake to it that it never used to have. My personal mechanic thinks it may be a bent axle.

I've seen the horror stories about the subframe completely collapsing, the lower control arm seperating and the axles falling right off. But what about the situation where there is somewhat less than a complete breakage of the subframe - the frame is very weak, it gets bent at crucial support areas, the front end sags, that pouts pressure on the axle which causes the axle to meet the wheel at an angle, which pouts pressure on areas that weren't designed to take that much stress, which then jams the wheel bearing into the wheel? Hows that for a theory? Are there any good mechanics out there that can shoot holes in this theory? Just curious...

Of the many strange noises that my car has made along the way, there was one noise in particular that I have never heard before (I'm a musician and have very critical ears....). It was a steady-pitched squeal that had a certain resonance to it. NO what speed my car travelled at - be it 1 mph or 50 mph - the pitch of this squeal remains constant. I've never heard that before. Usually the pitch will rise as the speed increases... If I had to describe the sound further, I would say that it soulded a lot like when you take a piece of fine crystal stemware. moistern your finger and rub it on the rim of the wine glass. I mentioned this sound to the person who took my car in at the dealership and his reaction was, "Oh, that's NOT good". He didn't elaborate. Any good mechanics out there who might have any idea what could cause a sound like that? What if something was rubbing up against the axle, could that cause a sound like that? Could that even happen, or am I totally off the mark?

Just looking for answers to see if I need to take any further legal action on this....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a used 2000 Hyundai Sonata in April 2009. Since I purchased the car (11 months ago), I have had to replace the front passenger side wheel bearing 3 times. I just had the job done the third time three days ago, and it turns out that the wheel bearing, which was purchased at a Hyundai Dealership and replaced by my own personal mechanic, NOT A DEALERSHIP, is thoroughly rusted and in many pieces. This wheel bearing was replaced 4 months ago.

I'm wondering if there anre any other Hyundai owners who have had similar experiences regarding a worn out wheel bearing on the front passenger side associated with the subframe recall.

I've had my car in for the subframe rust recall, and it took the dealership all of 5 minutes to determine that the car was a safety risk and needed to have the recall work done - big hole in the frame after tapping on it with a hammer. They replaced the subframe.

Since I got my car back from the recall, I am noticing that it "sits" a little differently than it did before the subframe replacement. I notice that the front end is sitting higher up than it was before the work was done - kinda like the car is slightly jacked up in the front end now. The dealership was trying to tell me that although I had severe rust, there were no structural changes on the subframe due to the recall. But as the car is now "sitting" differently I am tending to disagree on this point. Is my logic flawed here?

After picking up my car at the dealership after the subframe replacement, I only drove it 200 feet before I turned around and headed straight back to the dealership - I could hear the wheel bearing noise. Funny thing is, the dealership found other things wrong with my car when they did the subframe, yet they NEVER mentioned the wheel bearing. Seems kind of like they were trying to cover something up.... they got all cagey when I told them I could hear trouble with the wheel bearing, and just by coincidence the mechanic was standing there, and he did acknowledge the wheel bearing issue, but tried to blame it on the car being too old. This, after I had already replaced the wheel bearing twice within the past 6 months. Why on earth would they send me on my way with a bad wheel bearing and not even mention it to me? Smells fishy to me.

Another thing that happened to me that I'm wondering if any one else has a shared experience, is that a couple of months after I got the car, before the subframe work was done, the windhield broke spontaneously while I was on a steep curve on an entrance ramp to a highway. I could feel the weight of the car shift and "POP!" the windshield cracked. No impact anywhere. Careful inspection with a magnifying glass does not show any microscopic "cracks" or "nicks". Now I'm wondering about this because I have read that some folks subframes have cracked while going around a corner on the highway, so I'm wondering what else might have a tendency to break while cornering on a highway if the subframe is in poor condition and the weight is getting shifted all over the place.

Besides the fact that the dealership did not disclose the problem with the wheel bearing, I had originally brought my car into the dealership last July or August, only a few months after I had purchased it, to try to get the recall work done, which I had become aware of by doing an internet search. The dealership told me at the time that my car was out of warranty and therefore not covered, which I knew to be false, but I couldn't get the dealership to change their minds. I also knew however that if this was a national safety recall, I would eventually have to be contacted by the manufacturer, so I decided to just wait. Once I had the letter from Hyundai, the dealership changed it's tune, and they went ahead with the recall work - some 8 months after I had originally brought it in.

So, between the wheel bearing problem not being disclosed and the fact that the dealership told me I wasn't covered by the recall when in fact I actually WAS covered leaves me in a position where I feel I cannot trust the dealership anymore. If they weren't telling me these things, what else aren't they telling me? That perhaps they are liable for the wheel bearing too, but don't want to admit it? Maybe the windsheild too? Or that I may have a bent axle as well? I have to wonder....

Furthermore, now that I have my car back from the recall work it seems that the front end has a slight wobble or shake to it that it never used to have. My personal mechanic thinks it may be a bent axle.

I've seen the horror stories about the subframe completely collapsing, the lower control arm seperating and the axles falling right off. But what about the situation where there is somewhat less than a complete breakage of the subframe - the frame is very weak, it gets bent at crucial support areas, the front end sags, that pouts pressure on the axle which causes the axle to meet the wheel at an angle, which pouts pressure on areas that weren't designed to take that much stress, which then jams the wheel bearing into the wheel? Hows that for a theory? Are there any good mechanics out there that can shoot holes in this theory? Just curious...

Of the many strange noises that my car has made along the way, there was one noise in particular that I have never heard before (I'm a musician and have very critical ears....). It was a steady-pitched squeal that had a certain resonance to it. NO what speed my car travelled at - be it 1 mph or 50 mph - the pitch of this squeal remains constant. I've never heard that before. Usually the pitch will rise as the speed increases... If I had to describe the sound further, I would say that it soulded a lot like when you take a piece of fine crystal stemware. moistern your finger and rub it on the rim of the wine glass. I mentioned this sound to the person who took my car in at the dealership and his reaction was, "Oh, that's NOT good". He didn't elaborate. Any good mechanics out there who might have any idea what could cause a sound like that? What if something was rubbing up against the axle, could that cause a sound like that? Could that even happen, or am I totally off the mark?

Just looking for answers to see if I need to take any further legal action on this....
Hey rb10237!!!!!! I have same issue! Subframe recall, Subframe replaced, and my driver side leans lower. I complained, they sent a "special tech" to look over work at Hyundai dealer (NJ), and stated all was well with subframe replacement. My brother is a master tech auto mechanic and swears that he noticed the car leaning immediately after the above service. Please call me. (856) 693-3439. Eli Wilkins

1 - 2 of 2 Posts