Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Hyundai Elantra from 2011:

I hate to be the guy always complaining on this forum but I'm praying someone from Hyundai will notice this forum and step up to help me with the problems I'm having with my 2011 Hyundai Elantra.

My Elantra transmission was replaced with a rebuilt at 20,000 miles. Was without the car for 12 days.

My Elantra engine is in the process of being replaced with a rebuilt at 40,000 miles. I'm going to be without my car for 3 weeks to a month more. It's already taken them 10 days to diagnose this.

They're replacing my compressor with a rebuilt now as well.

I don't even want to know what goes at 60,000 miles.

I've had paint peeling off the car and missing, I've had nothing but problems with the dealer. I've probably had the car in for paint 6 times. Easily spent 3 weeks with my car in the shop for this.

I've had rusty door hinges that squeak and squeal like a 50's truck.

I've had a better part of the exhaust replaced because of grinding noises and the dealer found other problems while under the car. Another week.

I've also got a trunk light that works intermittently to which service shrugs and says deal with it.

Also my carpeting in the car is not fixed to the floor at all so those handy clips that hold the floor mats, they don't. The mats come loose and get jammed against the gas pedal.

Customer care is absolutely no help. Their advice: "There's nothing else we can do. File a complaint with the BBB or call a lawyer.

I've probably logged in the 20-30 hour neighborhood on the phone with Hyundai customer care.

I've talked to Hyundai via Twitter and their advice is contact customer care. I'm so furious right now. I don't even know what else I can do.

My next step is to get one of those paint markers and write "LEMON" all over the car and make a list of repairs right on it so everybody can see. I drive 90 miles a day to work and back through Ft. Lauderdale and Miami and it's neighboring cities. I want everybody to know how bad this 2011 Hyundai Elantra has been for me.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've had enough of this car and I don't know what else to do.

One of the Hyundai techs told me they've had a lot of engine problems at Hyundai. He says the cause is a faulty oil pump that fails to properly move oil through the engine. This causes engine failures. Has anybody else heard of this?

Any help would be most appreciated. At the very least hopefully if enough of us make enough noise about these cars Hyundai will take notice and do right by us.

-B

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Just to be clear is it an élantra touring.

I have put over 200k miles on two Hyundai cars; and they were still running well at that point.

You couldn't offer the warranty they have and stay in business if all their cars were junk. If the mileage is low dump it for something else.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Just to be clear is it an élantra touring.

I have put over 200k miles on two Hyundai cars; and they were still running well at that point.

You couldn't offer the warranty they have and stay in business if all their cars were junk. If the mileage is low dump it for something else.
If this indeed a 2011 Elantra and they will not help you, yet you keep having all of these issues I would get an attorney. Look into the lemon law act for your state and get things moving that way. I originally had a 2011 Elantra and my local dealership had it in the shop for 56 days! I ended up getting my brand new 2013 for the same cost as the 2011. It really depends how far your willing to take it honestly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lemon law expired after 2 years. I think that's why I'm getting the run around. If you don't mind me asking what does an attorney charge to handle this sort of thing and how long did it take? It's looking more and more like that's the way this is going. It's really disappointing that the company hasn't stood behind its product and that it would even come to that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have filed with the BBB but I don't know that they can help me since it's over 24 months. The thing is I noticed the car acting funny well before that but was continually told there was nothing wrong and don't worry you've got a 100,000 mile warranty. :-/

·
22,788 Posts
If this indeed a 2011 Elantra and they will not help you, yet you keep having all of these issues I would get an attorney. Look into the lemon law act for your state and get things moving that way. I originally had a 2011 Elantra and my local dealership had it in the shop for 56 days! I ended up getting my brand new 2013 for the same cost as the 2011. It really depends how far your willing to take it honestly.
+1 ^ What he said! Seriously, what he said. Sometimes it takes someone "good with words" to effectively get the other party to sit up and take notice.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Lemon law expired after 2 years. I think that's why I'm getting the run around. If you don't mind me asking what does an attorney charge to handle this sort of thing and how long did it take? It's looking more and more like that's the way this is going. It's really disappointing that the company hasn't stood behind its product and that it would even come to that.
I would still call around to get an attorney that will help you with this and get prices. It only cost me $300 but all I had to do is have my attorney type up a letter of intent to file a lawsuit and take Hyundai to court. The largest part of the whole ordeal is how helpful your dealership will be. Thankfully the General Manager of my local dealership bent over backwards and then some to get me satisfaction.

For the record, my 2011 had hail damage on it as well, and they were so intent to make me happy that they didn't even make me pay to get the hail damage repaired. They asked me what I wanted and had the car shipped in from another dealership over in Wisconsin 2 days later.

Also, just because you are demanding to be taken care of and may get your dealership involved doesn't mean you will tarnish your relationship with them. If anything, I will say the whole situation solidified my relationship with mine.

Good luck and keep us up to date!

·
22,788 Posts
I would still call around to get an attorney that will help you with this and get prices. It only cost me $300 but all I had to do is have my attorney type up a letter of intent to file a lawsuit and take Hyundai to court. The largest part of the whole ordeal is how helpful your dealership will be. Thankfully the General Manager of my local dealership bent over backwards and then some to get me satisfaction.

For the record, my 2011 had hail damage on it as well, and they were so intent to make me happy that they didn't even make me pay to get the hail damage repaired. They asked me what I wanted and had the car shipped in from another dealership over in Wisconsin 2 days later.

Also, just because you are demanding to be taken care of and may get your dealership involved doesn't mean you will tarnish your relationship with them. If anything, I will say the whole situation solidified my relationship with mine.

Good luck and keep us up to date!
And it's a dirty shame that it has to come to this level in order to get properly satisfied. So much of this headache could have been avoided had it been handled better by the dealer.

I guess I'll never understand why they (dealer) allow it to progress to this stage. Then, suddenly, they want to be your best friend for life after you have held their feet to the coals. Why couldn't they have lived up to their end of the bargain in the first place? Sometimes, life doesn't give you answers. Attorney's do. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It disgusts me really.

A few weeks ago I had a problem with a Keurig coffee maker that wasn't working properly. I checked their website, followed troubleshooting instructions and still it didn't work. I called customer service and explained the situation to them. They said, "you've tried everything we would have you do so we're not going to make you go through that again. It would just be a waste of time. Would it be alright if we sent you a new one?" Of course or would! I was hoping just to get some advice: whack this, replace that, whatever. The thing wasn't even under warranty still to the best of my knowledge. The machine was well past it's expiration. But the company stepped up.

Better than the poor customer service at Hyundai. The only thing they are good at is telling me "wow, you must be upset and that they feel sorry I'm in this situation." The only reason I'm in this situation is because nobody helps! I've seriously never seen any more ineffective people at work. Ever. If other people have had better luck dealing with them I'd love to hear about it and what you did, but that's been my experience.

This Elantra is only a 2011. Only 40,000 miles. It's unacceptable for a car this new to have so many problems. Especially engine and transmission replacement. I should mention I have babied this car from day one. Driven it like a granny! It rarely even sees 2500 rpm or goes over 60mph. On the highway! Occasionally it's driven 70-75 just to keep up with traffic because I don't want to be "that guy"! Lol This engine has never been pushed at all. Or the transmission. Remember Ferris Bueler's friend, Cameron's father? Yeah, I treated this car the same way as that Ferrari. Looked at it once a week and wiped it down with a diaper. I had planned on driving this thing for 200,000 miles. Instead Hyundai has kicked it through the window like Cameron.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Bradley if everything you've said is true then you must have a lot of self control. Just reading what you've posted is making my blood boil. If that happened to me somebody's head would of repeatedly been bounced off the concrete by now and i would be in jail. Don't know what to tell you but i hope you end up with a new vehicle in the end. Don't give up!

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If it were me, I would get it repaired as you are doing and then sell or trade it on another brand of car. This is where Hyundai is going to lose, on brand loyality. They just don't care after the sale.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If it were me, I would get it repaired as you are doing and then sell or trade it on another brand of car. This is where Hyundai is going to lose, on brand loyality. They just don't care after the sale.
Its not that easy. Who the heck is gonna purchase that vehicle with a rebuilt engine & tranny unless he sells it dirt cheap. Either way trading it in or selling he loses big time. It's a crazy situation.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Was this purchased new?

I'm having trouble buying all this from a properly used and maintained new vehicle, no matter who built it, but especially Hyundai. One or two things, but that's a big list in a short time.

Engine
Transmission
Compressor
Exhaust system
Paint and rust
Carpet
Electrical problem (trunk light)

Sounds almost like a flood salvage car to me, or someone regularly beats the living sheet out of it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Its not that easy. Who the heck is gonna purchase that vehicle with a rebuilt engine & tranny unless he sells it dirt cheap. Either way trading it in or selling he loses big time. It's a crazy situation.

Sent from my SCH-I535
I think it should be easy to sell or trade with a clean bill of health and 20,000 miles and 2 years of factory warranty remaining, not to disagree though, as I said, that is what <I would do> in the OP's situation. Everybody has their own opinions, and that's just mine. I cut my losses and never throw good money after bad. The way that car has gone for him, I wouldn't want to own it when the factory warranty runs out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's got 40,000 miles on it now as it sits in the shop for a rebuilt engine that is on order. It does have 60,000 mile power train warranty remaining. I think part of the problem is that I bought one of the original cars for this model built at the Alabama plant. It was literally one of the first off the line. I think I've learned a valuable lesson on that one. When I say I baby it, I'm really not kidding. Oil is changed every 3000-4000 miles. Washed every couple weeks. It is a long list. I noticed when they put me in a 2012 Elantra for the first time there were a lot of little changes inside the car, I'd assume there was a lot of internal changes too. The compressor they are changing not because anything is wrong with mine, only because it won't fir with the engine they've ordered. The dealer told me the engine is coming from a newer model year car and uses a different configuration making my compressor incompatible. Unfortunately they say they are given no choice but to use a rebuilt. That's what the factory dictates.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Engine-They've said it's nothing I'm doing, just a lemon.

Transmission-again, They've said it's nothing I'm doing, just a lemon.

Compressor-Not compatible with coming engine.

Exhaust system-There's a TSB on this. However after TSB problem persisted. Dealer quote, "After performing TSB and installing clamps, found exhaust still rattling. Replaced center exhaust pipe.

Paint and rust-Rust was on the door hinges. No explanation.

Carpet-They've changed the rigidity of the material since the first model year. I guess they heard a lot of complaints. You can find others here with carpet problems where the carpet isn't affixed properly. Most are in the back in front of the seat. My problem was the front.

Electrical problem (trunk light)-They said there must be a problem with the latch but since it is intermittent and just a trunk light they can't fix it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Well bradleyphoto, good luck certainly, I was a bit nervous when I saw the Hyundai's built in Alabama on the stickers, that's why went with the Accent, built and parts from Korea. I really have had good luck with Japanese cars and wanted to stay with Asian built vehicles. So far the Accent has been good, except for a peeling steering wheel, although only 15K miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would get rid of it but who's gonna buy a vehicle with a history report that states: rebuilt transmission and rebuilt engine. Anyone who sees that on a CARFAX would assume either it's a lemon or I drove the piss out of it.

I regularly get 43mpg on the highway and 33-36mpg around town. Do you still believe that I've abused the car? Or that I haven't maintained it properly? I've got a STACK of receipts for oil changes and repairs.

I'd be skeptical too reading about someone with SO MANY problems but hand to God, I have babied this car. It's an Elantra not a Corvette. There's no incentive to abuse it. I've tried to save money by driving the way I do just to get the best mpg I can and keep more $ in my wallet. I should also mention I'm months away from turning 40. A responsible adult. I'm not a 16 year old kid still driving like an ass and learning what a car can and can't do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also cannot afford to take the loss on this car. Money is tight these days. That's why I bought the car with the best mileage and the best warranty, because I had PLANNED on keeping it for a looooong time.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.