Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know of a source for rebuilt right front axle shafts? (Dealer wants $500 to repair using a new part.)

Also, the dealer told me the damage to the boot wasn't covered under warranty because the damage was caused by road debris which I understand. Suprisingly my insurance says it's not covered because I didn't hit something. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but Rockauto doesn't carry the part. (I checked them before I left the dealer having ordered from them in the past. I was really surprised.)

Joe

·
Registered
699 Posts
Suggest you check with places like TiresPlus and other tire shops that do mechanical work. Most of them can source rebuilt axle shafts. Most rebuilt axle shafts carry a one year warranty. Even if they must use a new shaft the price should be lower than the dealer.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Who said the damage was caused by road debris? Did you admit that?

Insurance should cover. What if a tornado launches a tree into the windshield while its parked. I don't understand.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Does anyone know of a source for rebuilt right front axle shafts? (Dealer wants $500 to repair using a new part.)

Also, the dealer told me the damage to the boot wasn't covered under warranty because the damage was caused by road debris which I understand. Suprisingly my insurance says it's not covered because I didn't hit something. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Joe
Set up a Conference Call with the Dealer and your Insurance Company. Tell them that you want to bring your car to the dealer and have both the Dealer Mechanic and Insurance company look at your axle. Tell them that either you hit some road debris or you didn't. IT CAN NOT BE BOTH. Get one of them to pay. If they can not agree then tell them that you are going to file with the Better Business Bureau as well as your State's Attorney General for BOTH of them. I am tired of insurance companies or dealers weaseling out of claims. Even if your insurance covers it, you will probably not get them to pay for the whole thing because you probably have a deductible. Another thing you can do before you file with Attorney General is to get a signed affidavit from your Insurance Company saying that you didn't hit anything which you can forward to the Hyundai Corporation as well as your dealer.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Did the dealer show you the damage and how they concluded it was caused by road debris? If not, ask them to physically show you, or go to another dealer for a second look. Axle shafts are covered under the 10yr/100Kmile powertrain warranty, so Hyundai is pretty confident in that part. It would take some substantial road debris to damage one.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
My insurance would cover if a vandal broke my axle. I could drive over an escaped moose and they'd pay for it. I could decide to jump ditch and they'd cover the damage. Who is your insurance company? Comprehensive and collision are almost mandatory on vehicles you are making payments on. Those will usually cover everything.

·
22,788 Posts
What if a tornado launches a tree into the windshield while its parked. I don't understand.
Funny that you should mention this. On May 20th, last year, saw exactly that. In fact, I (we) saw the tide turn as some of our vehicles were launched into branches as the trees were parked in the neighborhood yards. Poor trees didn't see that coming! Good to be insured! :wink2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks all. The service writer gave me a loop of greasy packaging twine which he said had wrapped around the boot and also showed me the leaking boot on the car.

I was amazed that my insurer said it wasn't covered for the very reasons shared by Blue-Silver & Destro. I also thought that it was going to be covered by my comprehensive which has a $100 deductible rather my collision where the deductible exceeds the cost of the repair. (I tried calling the insurer again to speak to a different agent but the office had closed.)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Who said the damage was caused by road debris? Did you admit that?

Insurance should cover. What if a tornado launches a tree into the windshield while its parked. I don't understand.

Sorry, cv boots are normal wear and tear and not covered by insurance. Now if the boot was cracked and not punctured then the warranty should cover that. Half axles are pretty inexpensive and any mechanic can find one for you for less than or similar to the cost of just replacing the boot.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just to share a thought on thinking auto insurance should cover this...auto insurance is not a maintenance policy. Yes, you pay your premium and want to use it whenever you can, but was it really worth it? Now you would a claim against you which could mean the loss of a "claim free" discount if you've never filed before. Not to mention 99.9% of auto policies use an insurance score that takes into account claim history which could lead to higher rates at renewal... Auto insurance is for big ooopsies...hitting a deer and wiping your front bumper off your car, windshield/glass replacements, collision with major damage, personal injury protection & liability in case you hurt others. Wonder why insurance rates are so high? Because everybody wants their $120 repair covered with their $100 deductible to save $20 (at least until their policy increases $50 at the next renewal). Just my opinion & I already know everybody has one.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Most auto insurance claims just hike the rate until they recoup the loss. If you are lucky the rate will drop back down. But that seldom happens.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
I agree insurance differs from maintenance but this us not that case. It it failed, that's between him and Hyundai. By policy, this should be covered. I would not claim it, myself and just by another one and chalk it up ( had to do it when the road wasn't big enough for two one tons we with tow mirrors couldn't fit and bought another mirror assembly ). Not saying it is best practice to claim, but is justified.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I had to replace both my Cv shafts allready, the pass side one went first (small pin hole in the recess of one of the folds) dealer denied warranty claim for it. Contacted a friend that works for USA Industries (they reman cv shafts, alternators...etc) Had the cv shaft back same day, fully rebuilt looking brand new. $40 bucks to have it done.

six months later I hear clicking from the driver side one... straight to dealer, reproduced the noise, no punctures or leaking grease. 2 hours later I had a brand new cv shaft.

I would try and find a place that performs rebuilds of your current cv shaft. Call a few parts vendors in your area (car quest, advanced auto, auto zone, even the smaller guys...etc) and ask em if they know a rebuilder.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am now being told by my insurance the repair will be covered. Unfortunately, it is covered under my collision which has a $500 deductible rather then my comprehensive.

Smoke1991 thanks for the lead. I visited USA Industries website and I'll give them a call.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Sorry, cv boots are normal wear and tear and not covered by insurance. Now if the boot was cracked and not punctured then the warranty should cover that. Half axles are pretty inexpensive and any mechanic can find one for you for less than or similar to the cost of just replacing the boot.
If the physical damage was cause by some kind of anomaly, he's within his rights to file an insurance claim.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
But if it a collision claim it will cost you more than just getting it fixed. Comprehensive would be OK but I doubt if it qualifies for that kind of claim.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
OP,

How many miles do you have on your car?

Reason I ask is because, unless you are past 100K or are a second owner (most likely), then the CV axles are covered by the powertrain warranty as replacements for boot breakage.

I know this because, like TxBoy, I had both of mine replaced at the dealer (1 for cracked boot, one for clicking). So, if you are still under either warranty, you should be covered.

Now, if you are not, there are places to get brand new CV axles but it ain't gonna be cheap. Thats why so many places sell rebuilt ones since the only wear parts are inside the boot. Also, this is a job that rates about 7.5-8 on a scale of 10. If you don't have the tools, time, and space, then prepare to pay about $700 bucks all in to get them replaced. And yes, they are wear items as mentioned previously, but should last you about 100-150K between replacements.

Best of luck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts