Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a set of winged badges, trunk, wheel caps and steering wheel. All went well, steering wheel worked out great, wheel caps were a "snap" and taking off the original "H" emblem off the trunk was not too bad. BUT! After I took off the trunk "H" I noticed that the paint on the inside the oval was different than the rest of the trunk. It almost seems like the paint does not have the pearl in it. Also there is a slight ridge where the paint meets on the outer edge of the oval. I put the winged badge on, but I'm not too happy how it looks since there is a clear oval around the wings now. So now, I'm debating whether I'll leave it the way it is, take it off and put the "H" back on or order a trunk wing emblem for a Genny coupe (it comes with an oval portion surrounding the wing) and try that to see if it will cover the oval paint variation. I'm a bit cheesed because all the videos and photos I've seen of re badged Genesis sedans did not have this oval paint variation when the "H" was removed. Then again mine is a 2010 and all I have seen were 2009s. In any event...this rebadging thing did not go as planned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Great... I just checked things closely in daylight and guess what guys? This trunk panel had been repainted. They repainted the trunk without taking the "H" badge off this is why there is a difference in paint and a ridge... The dealership sold me a new car with a repainted trunk panel. I'm going to get to the bottom of this. The dealership manager has some answering to do.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's weird. It would take a fair amount of time to mask off the trunk badge as compared to removing it for repainting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talked to the Manager. He said that the car arrived from the factory with a paint defect on the trunk and they sent it out to get paint matched/painted. I asked for all documentation of the paint work to confirm that it was only the trunk that had been repainted and that they did not sell me a car that has been in an accident. He agreed to provide all documentation on monday and to repair the paint work on the trunk.

Now here is a question. Does this story of a Top of the Line Genesis arriving at the dealership with a paint defect on the trunk seem plausible? I would think that QC would catch something like that on their flagship vehicle.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think it is more likely to be shipping damage than a paint defect. It doesn't take much to scratch the paint or even put a ding in a panel if hit by a chain or something. I agree with you that a paint defect is more likely to be caught before the car leaves the factory than at the dealership.

·
Registered
92 Posts
QUOTE (Talontsi96 @ Nov 21 2010, 11:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373547
Talked to the Manager. He said that the car arrived from the factory with a paint defect on the trunk and they sent it out to get paint matched/painted. I asked for all documentation of the paint work to confirm that it was only the trunk that had been repainted and that they did not sell me a car that has been in an accident. He agreed to provide all documentation on monday and to repair the paint work on the trunk.

Now here is a question. Does this story of a Top of the Line Genesis arriving at the dealership with a paint defect on the trunk seem plausible? I would think that QC would catch something like that on their flagship vehicle.
Honestly this isn't uncommon and many ports do touchup to vehicles at the docks before they even get on the trucks to be delivered to the dealership. Sorry for the mishap, and hopefully they get ya all cleared up! Good eye, and follow up !

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (Talontsi96 @ Nov 19 2010, 06:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373166
Great... I just checked things closely in daylight and guess what guys? This trunk panel had been repainted.
It happens all the time man. ANd unfortunately, most states allowed dealers not to disclose such damage if it's fixed 'properly' and not structural. And I've seen many expensive BMWs with jobs that'd make you laugh. It almost seems like we have to go equipped with a paint thickness gauge when buying a car. BUt glad at least your dealer admitted it when confronted.

Hey, do you have a pic of your new badges? If I end up buying the 4.6 I'd debadge the trunk emblems for sure, and would like to replace the middle ones if nicer. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts