Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to buy a 2014 Hyundai Accent GLS but there seems to be a real lack of stock within a 100 miles of me.

·
Registered
525 Posts
That was the issue I ran into when I bought my 2013 Accent GLS in October 2012. I could have my pick of hatchbacks, but the sedans were hard to come by. I think it's because the hatchbacks are more popular.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Overall demand for new cars has not kept up with projections and car makers have cut back on production. In other words, there are a glut of 2013 models on dealer lots and they have to be sold.

Example. Honda is forgoing the 2014 Fit and projects to introduce the 2015 model this spring, so I've read.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had a hard time finding what I wanted too.

Hyundai's sales model is a little different than other manufacturers. The dealers do not get to request what type of Accent they get in the USA. Even though the car you want is coming off the ship they will not divert it to you, it MUST go to it's original destination first. Hyundai's thought is that sales-people should be able to sell whatever they get sent. It's frustrating for sales when they could easily move a certain model, but Hyundai won't send them what their customers actually want.

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
I had a hard time finding what I wanted too.

Hyundai's sales model is a little different than other manufacturers. The dealers do not get to request what type of Accent they get in the USA. Even though the car you want is coming off the ship they will not divert it to you, it MUST go to it's original destination first. Hyundai's thought is that sales-people should be able to sell whatever they get sent. It's frustrating for sales when they could easily move a certain model, but Hyundai won't send them what their customers actually want.
That's what always bothered me about Hyundai. You have to take what they want you to have and be happy with it, there's no ordering exactly what you want like with other manufacturers (particularly domestics.) If the customer really wants something specific, they have to expand their search radius or have a dealer do a trade (which would bother me immensely since I have to scrutinize a car prior to giving them money.)

In 2006 when I bought my Accent, they were very simple - one body style, 2 interior colors, not may exterior colors, 2 transmission choices and one option package. Still, I had to drive 90 miles to find one that didn't have crank windows and a manual transmission. Which was all for the better, since I was not having much luck working with the local dealers anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes, Hyundai has a bit of a strange order / shipment process that I'm sure hurts sales to some degree. However, my experience with "getting the car I want" from both Mazda and Toyota has usually involved either traveling over 50 miles or doing a dealer swap for a car that was 75-100 miles away...and I live in an nine county area with 8 million people and 100 dealerships. If those "wants" include a manual transmission then it just gets harder every year. Conversely, if you don't want a Homelink mirror, cargo net, and IPod cable and add-ons over and above the regular add-ons...at most trim levels...then that too seems to get harder every year.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i agree with the above statements, but I have to say my dealer in ontario was very helpful. I had to have Green apple with air and stick. They brought one in from Vancouver. It took a few weeks, but they gave me a loaner car (for free), while i waited.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I bought my car in July 2013, my dealer told me that my car was the last model available in GL model hachtback, Marathon Blue and with a manual transmission in the region of Montreal. One of my good friend purchased a 2013 Accent 2 months after mine and his salesman told him that my model was no longer available. It therefore buy the same model as me, but with AUTOMATIC transmission

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yup, it seems like it's now impossible to get the upper two trim levels with a manual transmission for the sedan. Only the base model offers it. As of last year I noticed Hyundai Canada had removed the manual option for the GL from its website. The hatchback GL still seems to offer manual.

If my sedan were to be totaled it would put me in a tough spot. I would only accept another manual GL sedan, and since they're apparently a rare breed, I'd probably have to go with another class and/or a different brand. I really hope nothing happens to it because I quite like it and I'm planning to keep it until it no longer runs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was fully expecting a problem getting a manual transmission car this time around but I think it's a common sentiment these days that if a manual isn't offered then some people with brand shop until they find one. The "take rate" for manuals is apparently so low that Hyundai's order / shipment process might even work in your favor...at the time I bought my car at least and depending on the model.

My SE was at the dealer for over 100 days before I bought it and apparently was the only manual SE in a 75 mile radius. I know it was parked way in back of their lot against the concrete wall and not exactly front and center for prospective buyers although it had already been prepped. My take was they loved to sell it but didn't promote it because there wasn't much interest in relation to the Elantra, Sonata, Santa Fe and Genesis that filled their front showroom. The ( automatic ) Accent was around the corner of the showroom in the side foyer hidden by the potted plants.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I found a dealer that is like 100 miles away that actually has what I want for a decent price but it's looking like the black book value on my 2013 Chevy sonic sedan is around 9-10K when I owe 13200K on my note. I don't mind losing money for something that is worth it. The Chevy Sonic that I have is not well made at all, the Accent has way more quality and I mean way more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You would probably do better selling the Sonic privately - with the disadvantage that you couldn't fold the loss into the new loan.
There won't be any rollover as I have thousands saved up and I don't mean just a couple thousand either...much more infact but not enough to pay the 13200K I now owe now as of today.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There won't be any rollover as I have thousands saved up and I don't mean just a couple thousand either...much more infact but not enough to pay the 13200K I now owe now as of today.
I suppose, but selling the Sonic privately will still fetch you more money. It doesn't matter how much you have, a few thousand dollars is still a few thousand dollars, and it's better saved than lost to some dealer.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Check the black book trade-in, private party sale, and retail value on the Sonic, either at Edmunds or Kbb.com, or other sites. - For that matter, see what CarMax and AutoTrader.com will offer to buy the car outright.

Look at the difference in cost, and then figure that you will have to negotiate with the Hyundai dealer to get trade-in for the Sonic, or get least cost on the new Accent, whereas you can always take a bit less than private party to make a quick sale and probably still come out ahead.

As stated, the way you get thousands saved up is by making smart decisions with your money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts