Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience installing the Auto Dimming mirror? Is this something a mechanically inclined person can do on their own?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
dunno about your car, but on the elantra it was easy. there are a couple of pieces to remove, one is the a pillar, instructions say to cut one of the clips, i didnt, i just routed the wire around the airbag. then i had to pull the lower dash cover, really easy, couple of screws, and it pops off. T tap quick connects, and it is wired. the mirror assembly is a torx, i forget which, and the old one easily comes off, new one easy-on. if you get the kit, it has all the parts needed, and excellent step by step instructions. ebay usually has them for cheap

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,033 Posts
On my 2017 it was a 5 minute job.

1. Snap off the plastic trim piece covering the mirror mounting screw
2. unplug (1 plug under the trim at the mirror)
3. loosen the 1 set screw (I believe it was a torx not allen)
4. slide off mirror
5. Repeat to install.
6. Calibrate (follow instructions, I think it was drive the car in a couple circles, I did not do that and it took about a mile of normal driving to calibrate the compass)

I got a new in box OEM Hyundai Homelink Auto Dimming Mirror off e bay for $89. They are always under $ 150. I think Hyundaioemparts.com has them for $135, new in box. Dont pay the Dealer price of almost $ 400. I dont know if the 2018 is the same as the 2015-2017 but they are still LF model so this is the mirror I got still available on ebay $95 https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-17-HYUN...199466&hash=item2f1b75552c:g:JuEAAOSwZ5Ra6VYp

The thread link I have at the end is about it there were 2 parts numbers that were the same mirror and worked on all LF, one had a extra wire kit in it for the YF and the other that specified LF did not have the extra wire kit. Both were the same mirror and on the LF are direct plug and play. Bluelink, SOS openers all work, Compass and auto dim

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/lf-2015-sonata-i45/568506-2017-upgraded-rear-view-mirror.html

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
As @xaran said, 5 minute job tops.
It was completely plug and play.
When you calibrate the compass just make sure to put the compass in the correct zone for your area.
And if you program the Homelink buttons just know that they will work even with the car completely shut off.

·
Registered
2011 Santa Fe LTD 4cyl, 2wd: 2021 Tucson LTD 4cyl, 2wd
394 Posts
As @xaran said, 5 minute job tops.
When you calibrate the compass just make sure to put the compass in the correct zone for your area.
And if you program the Homelink buttons just know that they will work even with the car completely shut off.
Not trying to speak for the OP but I think you guys are talking about two different things.

I think OP is asking about changing the regular mirror to an ECM. I doubt a 5 minute job. The poster that talked about the Elantra sounds more like what would be involved to swap out a regular mirror for an ECM.

I think what you guys are saying for a 5 minute job is replacing an ECM with another ECM.

My apologies if I am wrong.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,033 Posts
Not trying to speak for the OP but I think you guys are talking about two different things.

I think OP is asking about changing the regular mirror to an ECM. I doubt a 5 minute job. The poster that talked about the Elantra sounds more like what would be involved to swap out a regular mirror for an ECM.

I think what you guys are saying for a 5 minute job is replacing an ECM with another ECM.

My apologies if I am wrong.
I dont know what a "ECM" is regarding a mirror but my response was changing the stock rear view mirror (does not have homelink or auto dimming) to the Homelink / Auto Dimming Mirror that Hyundai has as an accessory for $400. They are available all over Ebay or online parts at $100 or less and are a 5-10 minute plug and play job on the Sonata LF (2015-2017 for sure cant speak to the 2018 but it is still LF)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I dont know what a "ECM" is regarding a mirror but my response was changing the stock rear view mirror (does not have homelink or auto dimming) to the Homelink / Auto Dimming Mirror that Hyundai has as an accessory for $400. They are available all over Ebay or online parts at $100 or less and are a 5-10 minute plug and play job on the Sonata LF (2015-2017 for sure cant speak to the 2018 but it is still LF)
ECM = electro chromatic mirror

Found this on a website to explain:

What are they?

Really, electrochromatic mirrors are pretty simple. They’re electronic and they work similarly to eyeglass lenses that automatically darken when exposed to sunlight. They also offer a number of advantages to standard manual rearview mirror options.

The advantages

You’ll find these mirrors also called auto dimming rear view mirrors, and that truly sums up what this technology does.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just to be clear, you are saying that the wiring is already there and you just remove the std mirror and plug in and attach the new mirror? Can anyone verify this for a 2018?

I am glad to hear that if that is what you are saying. When I get my SEL I want to add the auto dimming mirror. You guys just saved me a bunch of money and sounds like an easy swap.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I did replaced mine in a 2014 YF and I needed to tap into 2-wires behind the sunglasses holder. It sounds like the LF connector has everything you need already there and no need to tap into additional wiring. Again, as others have posted, they cannot confirm the 2018, however since the 2018 was more of an appearance upgrade, it is likely to have similar wiring to the 2015-2017s.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Been waiting for about 6 months for some brave soul to buy this and give it a shot on an '18. My '18 Sport seems to sit in the perfect position for headlights to shine straight into my eyes through the rear view.

Seems i may have to take the $95 gamble.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,033 Posts
Just to be clear, you are saying that the wiring is already there and you just remove the std mirror and plug in and attach the new mirror? Can anyone verify this for a 2018?

I am glad to hear that if that is what you are saying. When I get my SEL I want to add the auto dimming mirror. You guys just saved me a bunch of money and sounds like an easy swap.
Yes that is how it is on a 2017 and from the thread I linked above where I found out about the swap it was the same for earlier LF model Sonata.

I dont know about the 2018 but it is still listed as a LF so someone will have to give it a try if it is like mine it is plug and play. on the YF I believe you had to use the splice kit that was included in my mirror box.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,033 Posts
Been waiting for about 6 months for some brave soul to buy this and give it a shot on an '18. My '18 Sport seems to sit in the perfect position for headlights to shine straight into my eyes through the rear view.

Seems i may have to take the $95 gamble.
On the link below from EBay for the mirror they accept returns so your only out the return shipping,it is a small box so it could be returned USPS Flat rate ad will cost you less than $12 if it does not work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-17-HYUN...199466&hash=item2f1b75552c:g:JuEAAOSwZ5Ra6VYp

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
Anyone have experience installing the Auto Dimming mirror? Is this something a mechanically inclined person can do on their own?

Don't confuse the auto-dimming mirror with the Homelink mirror.

I had a Homelink mirror installed by the dealer on my Kona SEL. Even the Limited only had the auto-dimming mirror.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The mirror I installed in my LF had both auto dimming and Homelink, along with the compass.
The factory mirror was a Bluelink manual dimming mirror.
I also had the factory Bluelink and manual dimming. Through another post here somewhere, I found and posted that I also got a homelink/bluelink and auto dimming on my 16 SE. Very quick and easy install.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The mirror I installed in my LF had both auto dimming and Homelink, along with the compass.
The factory mirror was a Bluelink manual dimming mirror.
My Santa Fe came with an auto dimming, compass, Homelink mirror. I want the same one for my Sonata although I don't need the Homelink.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,033 Posts
The post I had above with the EBay link is for a Hyundai OEM auto dimming with Homelink and Blulelink,SOS,Directions buttons. It is the same mirror listed on accessories on Hyundai site when you choose build except if you get it from Hyundai for $ 471 and from ebay dealers or on line dealers it is $ 185 down to $ 85.

Ive attached the link from Hyundai accessories

https://ca106.hyundaiaccessories.com/accessories/2017/sonata/

available now on Ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-17-HYUN...=item2f1b75552c:g:JuEAAOSwZ5Ra6VYp&rmvSB=true

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My Santa Fe came with an auto dimming, compass, Homelink mirror. I want the same one for my Sonata although I don't need the Homelink.

I did not want the Homelink but that is the only way the factory mirrors come so I had to get it.
Just never programmed the buttons since the Homelink function works even when the car is off.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The post I had above with the EBay link is for a Hyundai OEM auto dimming with Homelink and Blulelink,SOS,Directions buttons. It is the same mirror listed on accessories on Hyundai site when you choose build except if you get it from Hyundai for $ 471 and from ebay dealers or on line dealers it is $ 185 down to $ 85.

Ive attached the link from Hyundai accessories

https://ca106.hyundaiaccessories.com/accessories/2017/sonata/

available now on Ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-17-HYUN...=item2f1b75552c:g:JuEAAOSwZ5Ra6VYp&rmvSB=true
I did not want the Homelink but that is the only way the factory mirrors come so I had to get it.
Just never programmed the buttons since the Homelink function works even when the car is off.

Got it guys. Thanks. My SF is a 2011 so it did not have Bluelink. I live in condo with no garage so I don't need Homelink ( I know it comes with it and I am fine with that)

Will want the exact Hyundai mirror like you would get from the dealer so thanks Xaran

1 - 20 of 36 Posts