Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The salesperson mentioned that the rearview camera does have an audible alarm if an object is very close to the car - is that true?

·
Registered
533 Posts
In my experience so far not true at all. Just a camera with an overlay of lines on the image you see on screen that actually turns with the wheel. There are three or four boxes (zones) shown one in red as you back up towards an object. The red zine obviously is closest to the bumper.

·
Registered
932 Posts
No audible alarm except the THUNK when you hit something.

·
Registered
932 Posts
No doubt. But really regarding the alarm, I read a lot of posts on the Fusion forums where people were asking how to disable this feature. I guess it gets pretty annoying.

But I do really like the backup camera. What a great feature.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I haven't heard any alarm yet but I haven't got that close,,, I might have to rig something up and try it...

The book says I got all these colors but all I see are red and white.... red box the closest of course.

I actually measured how far from the back of the car the lines are.... furthest one out is 10 feet, next one is 3 feet and the red box is 1 1/2 feet....

I wonder if I can get the neighbor I hate to stand still as I backup to see if I have an alarm or not... :innocent:

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Apr 22 2010, 10:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315622
No doubt. But really regarding the alarm, I read a lot of posts on the Fusion forums where people were asking how to disable this feature. I guess it gets pretty annoying.

But I do really like the backup camera. What a great feature.
That's nonsense. My 335 has it and I love it. Maybe the ford implementation is crappy, but I'd rather have the beeps than the camera personally. The beeps don't give you a false sense of security like the camera does.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (jfulcher @ Apr 22 2010, 10:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315649
That's nonsense. My 335 has it and I love it. Maybe the ford implementation is crappy, but I'd rather have the beeps than the camera personally. The beeps don't give you a false sense of security like the camera does.
First, the Fusion has both the camera and the beeps. Second, I'm confused about the false sense of security you speak of. I could envision something like a bicycle laying on the ground that a sensor might not pick up, but a camera would allow you to see it. I could see a small curb that might be too short for a sensor, but not the camera. I can't envision what a sensor could pick up that a camera wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Korean model has the alarm as it has the sensors in the bumper cover. We just have the camera. another case of sales people not caring enough to learn about the products they sell. If your not sure be honest with the customer and say ill look into that for you instead of making things up. If that customer buys it cause u said it has a feature it doesn't have you just lost future referral and gained a angryoff customer. My sales rep had very good knowledge of the car but there were a couple things I stumped him with such as if limited with nav had infinity and he said that I'm not sure lets look it up on hyundais site and then he asked the manager to be sure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not sure what's worse, that we're debating beeps vs. camera (on a sedan, no less) or my desire to contribute to it.

camera >>>>>>>>>>> beep.

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Apr 22 2010, 12:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315654
First, the Fusion has both the camera and the beeps. Second, I'm confused about the false sense of security you speak of. I could envision something like a bicycle laying on the ground that a sensor might not pick up, but a camera would allow you to see it. I could see a small curb that might be too short for a sensor, but not the camera. I can't envision what a sensor could pick up that a camera wouldn't.
The sensors are all along the back bumper. They pick up things at ground level even on the sides of the bumper that you just wouldn't see on backup camera. At the same time they require you to still look behind you somewhat when backing up - unlike what i've seen with people that have back up cameras - they become to dependent on the technology until they run over a kid that was just outside of the camera POV. Albeit the camera is better than nothing - and I wouldn't have bought this car without it or the sensors. The view out the back is just horrible.

Having both would be the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
650 Posts
This feature should be standard on the Sonata. Regardless if it comes with Nav, nav and the beeps adds more confidence. The Genesis Sedan has both camera and beeps, not sure why the excluded the sensors on the Sonata.

But the camera is very convenient for close parking.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have not been in many cars with backup sensors but the best system I have seen was standard on a Citroen C5. It used electromagnetic sensors (not ultrasonic) and when backing up a screen with a top view graphic of the car would appear. When an object is detected it would beep and flash an indicator on the graphic showing in which area behind the car the object is detected. I found that this system still forces one to look back and then act as a "second pair of eyes" in looking out for any obstacles. As a matter if fact, this Citroen had lots of neat features which I would have loved in our cars over here. When you lock the car the mirrors automatically folds back keeping them out of harms way. The speed control was act as a speed limiter rather than a speed controller. As long as you keep your foot on the gas pedal the speed will be electronically limited to a digitally set max. As soon as you lift your foot the car will slow down. Adjusting the set speed is done on a digital readout and it is very easy to adjust the speed according to the posted speed limit.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
good news is there are a lot of aftermarket products to add sensors, but they do require drilling into the bumper cover.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts