Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasnt sure how to title this. Anyway, yesterday I was driving home from a long road trip (1425 miles in 2 days) and I was listening to my stock radio/speakers. It was a bit chilly with the front windows down, but too warm with them up and I didnt want to turn on the a/c. (no specific reason. I just didnt want to). So I thought I would just open the back windows.

As soon as I did this, the radio bass was just shaking the whole car. It was nuts. I wasnt even listening to anything with a strong bass to it. I closed the windows, it went away. It was better when I turned off the super bass, but I found this odd. Especially since I see people put these large speaker boxes in the trunk.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It's not really bass from the music. It's the air flowing in your car making the bass noise. Same phenomenon happens with peeps with sunroofs without the piece that sticks up in front. I do believe if you rolled down your fronts a little (at the same time as the rears) the banging bass feeling would go a way.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I believe it's called a "standing wave" or something similar to that...a combination of sound pressure level and a sort of sympathetic wave sound that can be generated in enclosed spaces. I think a particular frequency range can set it off. Sound engineers working the boards at amplified live music shows run into something similar every once in awhile.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yeh, you basically have air rushing in through the back and no where else to get out other then the way it entered, that is what you are feeling. I get that too and it bothers my ears, but it goes away if i roll the front windows down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah ok. I just know when it started, I panicked a little. I was wondering how those windows opening could amplify the bass to shaking levels. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts