Hyundai Forums banner

Rear turn signal lamps are down on the bumper

18K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  PMCErnie 
#1 · (Edited)
I’m assuming that the amber rear turn signal lamps (that sit too low on the rear bumper) are the only rear turn signals. ??? What a terrible, unsafe, position IMHO. Drivers are pretty used to watching turn signals doing their thing very close to the brake and taillight assembly.

#3 ·
I actually like it. Makes it stand out from the brake lights. KIA has been doing this for a couple years; real easy to see.

What's worse is turn signals in the middle of the headlights. I added turn signals into the front bumper of my Scion so they could be seen.

#4 ·
Agree with the above, integrated or not, to me being behind cars with it in the bumper made it stand out a lot more. Some of the newer cars today that have it integrated within the brakes(let alone the same color as the brake lights) felt more unsafe. Not a big deal though. Just have to pay attention. What i feel is more unsafe is watching the people that drive behind me constantly looking down at their phones and not at the car in front of them. :-/

#8 ·
When driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic, the guy behind you often cannot see your rear bumper well because he’s up your ash. That’s why I feel the low location of the turn signals is dangerous.

Reactions: cwpost
#10 ·
Thanks for making me feel young for a change. :smile:

We had an old farm truck when I was growing up that didn't have turn signals. It had a window that rolled down and I had a left arm that could signal 'left' or 'right', however. There was the double-clutching too...

#23 ·
Sorta related comment but even at stop signs/lights many follow and move in too close for no apparent reason. One of the few comments I remember from the few over 55 senior driving classes I've taken (we get them free every 3 years for insurance discounts) is if you can't see the bottom of the tires of the vehicle stopped in front of you, you are too close even when you are stopped. Of course there are exceptions for trucks etc but it actually works fairly good for standard cars, SUVs, pickups.

Why do I care? We've gotten rear ended 3 times at lights in the past 30 years from people not following that rule.
One time the rear of our sedan was crunched pretty bad (the same sedan that crunched/totalled the front end in another accident). The other two times someone hit our Jeep GC rears both of which had trailer hitches. The first when we lived in CT didn't damage either car much but the 2nd in MN creamed the front end of the other car with only a buffable scratch on the Jeep GC bumper plastic. Would my Santa Fe with installed trailer hitch fare as well, hmmm, not sure of that?

#24 ·
You also need to leave room in case the car in front of you can't move and you have a way out. When the shooting starts and you have no escape you're a sitting duck because you're sniffing his back bumper. Give yourself an out. One of the Smith System driving course. Life in the big city. More of a country boy. Following distances at freeway speeds are also being ignored. This isn't NASCAR folks but people drive like it.

#32 ·
Wondering if OP made the realization of the turn signal location "before" or "after" purchase. It seems a little research would tell you where the blinkers blink. That is one of the things I noticed when i bought mine. I also realized the DRLs were not the actual headlights. Most cars integrate them in the headlight housing, effecting the DRLs to switch off with the blinker on. Having the rear blinkers down on the bumper is how cars have been made for years before the high waisted trend of SUVs took over. Not everyone is driving a vehicle with front collision prevention technology.

#35 ·
I’m surprised that some folks here don’t bother to read the dates of postings. My remarks regarding the too-low placement of the rear turn signals were made in August ‘18 as the ‘19’s were first debuting. I didn’t own my ‘19 then. As I said In my post, it was my humble opinion that the taillights were poorly placed. I haven’t changed my humble opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.