Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that the rear tires on your limited seem to hear in towards the vehicle. these pictures were taken with nothing in the vehicle (i'd expect as it was loaded down or with weight in it that the tires would do this, but not empty).

does this look normal? In the one pic you can see the bottom of the tire is our farther and in the other two, road salt is covering the tires. notice the black line on the rear tire though. this spot seems more rounded than the front tire though does not seem to actually be making contact with the road. both rear tires look identical.

I've also noticed and had issues with the rear end creaking and groaning when going over bumps and uneven pavement at slower speeds.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Some negative camber in the rear is normal given the independent suspension. My Highlander had it, and so does my current SF XL. This is on purpose so as you corner, the tire/wheel on the outside straightens out (ie. moves to neutral camber position) to maintain maximum contact with the road since it will take most of the load. Nevertheless, it is possible that that there could be too much of a camber. I know most manufacturers will allow a free alignment within yr 1 under warranty if any possible alignment issues are evident. I had one done on my HL in year 1 due to premature wear on the tires.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luck11, what you say makes sense and i understand that. I just don't remember it being so obvious or looking so cambered. the other item of note is the front tires look perfectly straight up and down but the rears look to have more camber than i remember.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Both the front and rear wheels have negative camber in the SF GLS. The specs from Hyundai are -0.5 +- 0.5 degrees for the front and -1.0 +- 0.5 degrees for the rear.

Many vehicles today have negative camber to improve the handling.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
If you really feel they the camber is too great, then I would suggest you get the alignment checked at the dealer as part of warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts