1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
339 Posts
so what will this thing do? is it worth 200 clams?

·
Registered
265 Posts
QUOTE (silverflash @ Nov 19 2010, 07:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372962
so what will this thing do? is it worth 200 clams?
NOTHING! I don't understand why people think a bar will do anything when you have a beam rear axle. Sway bars are only for independant suspension.... Which this car doesn't have in the rear the axle is like a big massive sway bar...

·
Registered
339 Posts
ahhhhhh.. thanks....

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've read something about the torsion beam setup in the accent being considered semi-independent. The way the spring seats are pushed back off of the beam allows the beam to flex almost independently, whereas a traditional rear beam setup, the beam, springs and wheels are in a straight line.

I'm not saying it's the perfect system or that it is independent, but there is flex and an anti roll bar may reduce the flex. This may help during cornering. I don't know how it will effect our car and I doubt anyone has gotten any before and after performance numbers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (omg grip @ Nov 19 2010, 07:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372958
Ok slight difference, that product is more like a torsion bar stiffy, designed to tighten down the rear torsion bar to prevent flex. A rear sway bar would move independently of the torsion beam on its own bushings and endlinks. So if lets say the car is leaning to the left, the sway bar would lean and place pressure on the other side wheel.

Torsion stiffy:

Torsion beam sway:

QUOTE (berserko @ Nov 19 2010, 08:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372970
NOTHING! I don't understand why people think a bar will do anything when you have a beam rear axle. Sway bars are only for independant suspension.... Which this car doesn't have in the rear the axle is like a big massive sway bar...
I have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe (Stock) and having taken a ride in another forums members upgraded vibe with a proper rear sway bar I can assure you it does make a significant difference. Sway bars (not torsion beam stiffies) add a large amount of preload to the opposite side wheel. Making the car turn flatter. But hey dont take my word for it, I only experienced the difference my self.

And yes both Pontiacs had identical suspension except for the sway bar.

So back on topic. Anyone have an accent in Australia that would be willing to slide by Whiteline AU to see if they would make something like this for us? Otherwise I'll have to fab something up and mail it off.
NEWB

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUOTE (berserko @ Nov 19 2010, 06:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372970
I don't understand why people keep making statements about suspensions without knowing what they're talking about.

The accent doesn't have a beam rear axle, it has a torsion beam suspension. It's considered semi-independent, because while there is a beam connecting the two trailing arms, it can twist and allow independent motion of the wheels. How difficult it is to twist that beam is what provides the anti-sway effect that you'd normally get from a sway bar. The KFX swaybar runs parallel to the beam and connects to the spring perches, in effect stiffening the beam.

Also, sway bars aren't for independent suspension only, they work on live axles too. ;)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
The most cost effective swaybar for a twist beam like ours is a simple bar that sits inside the beam.

Hello 3 legged turns :grin:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Nov 20 2010, 11:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373355
The most cost effective swaybar for a twist beam like ours is a simple bar that sits inside the beam.
hmmm yes but that just stiffens the torsion beam without actively pre-loading the other wheel. :/

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Nov 20 2010, 06:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373445
I don't see how it could preload the other wheel when it moves up and down with the suspension.

Yes even though the beam would move slightly, the sway bar would still act independently of the beam with pressure on each side. The movement at the ends of the torsion beam where the shocks are located, is greater then distance traveled by the beam its self.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No, the movement at the wheels is greater than the movement at the beam by the same ratio as the movement at the main body of the sway bar, meaning it would work in parallel to the beam, exactly as the kfx bar and exactly as the one burnitwithfire posted. The only way you'd be able to preload it is by twisting it, which would make the car lean to one side. That might be beneficial if you're racing in nascar I guess.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
preload completely aside....obviously diameter plays a factor of how much each bar stiffens the twist beam, but I would assume having 4 mounting points as shown in the whiteline photos would be a pretty big improvement over two points like the UR bar sold by KFX.

As an unrelated side note KFX claims the UR bar is 19mm.....but all of UR's websites specifies its 16mm.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (omg grip @ Nov 21 2010, 03:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373604
preload completely aside....obviously diameter plays a factor of how much each bar stiffens the twist beam, but I would assume having 4 mounting points as shown in the whiteline photos would be a pretty big improvement over two points like the UR bar sold by KFX.

As an unrelated side note KFX claims the UR bar is 19mm.....but all of UR's websites specifies its 16mm.
Mounting points on the beam aren't a necessity but I think they would help prevent the bar from twisting out of shape. It would twist lenghtwise instead of deforming a bit.

16mm is pretty flimsy considering the soft spring rate of the OEM suspension.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts