Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
You could try pierce motorsports Performance Auto Parts - Race Car Parts | Pierce Motorsports or Evilla E Villa Motor Sports - Sport Auto Parts
Actually I believe these are the same part. I have the one from Evilla with its paint scheme and branding. I can't really say it does that much. The Accent already has a non-independent rear suspension courtesy the stock torsion beam "axle". if you go and make the roll bar super stiff, the tendency of the back end to hop around over broken pavement will become even more pronounced.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could try pierce motorsports Performance Auto Parts - Race Car Parts | Pierce Motorsports or Evilla E Villa Motor Sports - Sport Auto Parts
Actually I believe these are the same part. I have the one from Evilla with its paint scheme and branding. I can't really say it does that much. The Accent already has a non-independent rear suspension courtesy the stock torsion beam "axle". if you go and make the roll bar super stiff, the tendency of the back end to hop around over broken pavement will become even more pronounced.
So are you saying it's not worth it?

I remember when I put a rsb in my Civic Si, there was a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
13,367 Posts
So are you saying it's not worth it?

I remember when I put a rsb in my Civic Si, there was a noticeable difference.

Civic Si has an independent rear suspension, can't remember if it's double wishbone or just "plain" old MacPhereson stru. Believe it's wishbones. In that case the sway bar would make a difference.

With a "U" shaped torsion set up, it's already pretty rigid. My advice is you'd just be throwing money away, unless you want to play with engine power as well.

In which case I'd say the current Si is a pretty snappy number...

·
Registered
284 Posts
IMO, no not really worth it. That's the short version. I think it might have been more worth it to me if I had added the anti roll bar in combination with other suspension upgrades - stiffer springs and shocks for example. But I haven't done any upgrade of those things. I haven't done them because I haven't found any options for doing that which I thought I could live with. A super stiff anti sway bar by itself might become more of a negative than positive. I don't think the one I have is too stiff, but by the same token it doesn't do that much. Probably it is tuned to perform well in the presence of other mods. If you want less roll you probably have to make everything about the suspension stiffer. But unless I see some more options become available for the springs and shocks, I'm never going to complete my "upgrade".

People say good things about the KYB rear shocks. I'll probably do those, but without stiffer springs the change is probably going to be fairly minor.

I'd really like less body roll. But the only comprehensive suspension mods for Accents I've seen are fairly radical lowering coil-over sets that go for about $1,500 and the ones I've seen will surely make the ride of my car intolerable (for me) over Atlanta's moonscape of potholes and speed bumps. I'm not after a "look", just less roll at the same ride height. I really can't go any lower. Speed bumps alone -there's like 5 of them just on my street- dictate this for me.

It could be that I'm underestimating the sway bar. I've never taken it off to see what it would be like without it, and I'm not about to. Once you manage to get this thing bolted on you will never, ever want to touch it again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the rear sway bar and removed it. Installed KYB gas adjust rear shocks that I got from rock auto.
Hundreds and hundreds of people have done this to there elantras.

It is the single best thing you can do to reduce body roll.
Also did the kyb "upgrade". Very inexpensive, takes only a few minutes to install, and noticable improvement.

Sounds good.

Can you guys confirm that this part will fit the hatchback?
KYB 554385

Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Also did the kyb "upgrade". Very inexpensive, takes only a few minutes to install, and noticable improvement.
Yes, KYB 554385 fits!
Is there a specific way to get the top bolt off?

I'm trying to loosen the passenger side turning counter clockwise with a breaker bar it turns just slightly, but it doesn't break loose.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Mine came right off.
Oh my. I figured out what was happening. It took my a couple hours to do this 30 minute job!

The top bolt hole was rust seized to the bolt. The bolt came out a little about half an jnch, then would turn and not do anything even with tons of WD40. I got fed up and broke out the propane torch. After a few minutes of fire directly aimed at the top shock mount , I used the impact gun and it finally broke loose.

Torqued everything to 80ftlbs.

I've just been driving around town. There's a slight improvement on cornering.

I'll be on the highway tomorrow and see how it does at that speed.

I think the bigger improvement was getting a new set of ultra high performance all season tires. I got General AS05s. They are super sticky and have a strong sidewall.

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Accent
50 Posts
Have you guys driven these accents on a dirt road? the amount of over steer is incredibly enjoyable! nearly behaves like a rwd on gravel, try it! Snap the wheel and stomp it, as you get more comfortable turn off traction/stability.
Yup I've done it...is fun
I've Installed both the Sway bar from Evlla & KYB gas adjust rear shocks on my Accent and i've seen lots of improvement!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.