Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just replaced the front struts, stabilizer links and ball joints on my 2008 Elantra and that seemed to solve the clunking issue.

Now I can hear the back clunking, hah!

Here are a few pictures:

Driver side overview. Lots of rust down here...

Passenger side overview.

Passenger side upper arm bushing and sway bar bushing.

So, there are 125k miles on the car. With regards to the clunk, it seems like that might be a bushing issue somewhere? Or maybe the stabilizer links? There are a few different bushings so I don't really know where to start....

Also, the shock replacement seems relatively straight forward, but RockAuto lists three different makes, what should I go with? Are the cheap FCS fine? Should I replace the bushing for it at the same time?

RA Shocks

Do I also need to replace the coil springs at the same time? Do they wear out?

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to wrap my head around it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
For shocks I would go Monroe. I would check all ball joint part first such as sway bar links, then the rubber bushings/mounts that close to shocks and coil springs if there's any crack or damage. For coil springs check the pan of lower control arm to see if any break, but your springs look pretty new.

·
Registered
93 Posts
+1 for the Monroe shocks. That's what I used... as for the springs, unless the car sits lower than normal, I wouldn't touch them.
The replacements I got at the same time are now rusted so badly that I pulled OEM ones from a '10 car at the scrap yard.

As for the clunk, check links 1st... but that might be coming from the ball joint in the control arm. I replaced one... noise disappeared for 4 yrs / 40kmiles. Now it's back on both sides :( .Really difficult to pinpoint, as everything will seem tight once the car is lifted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts