Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, brought the santa fe in yet again to the shop. of the list of issues i had with it this time, they found a new one for them.

I had noticed that the rear end of my Santa Fe seemed lower than normal after our family trip to michigan and had noticed that the rear tires seemed to have a fairly noticeable camber to them, more so than other Santa Fe LWB i saw on the dealer lot.

One item they found while looking into this was that my rear springs were both partially collapsed. I've never towed anything heavy or had it loaded down with anything unusual. noticed the stance and wheel camber while in michigan. only thing unusual up there was spent a few hours driving in -20 to -25F weather.

Dealer thinks this may also be attributing to the creaking/groaning/thunking noise i've been hearing from the rear end (have been hearing those noises since before the michigan trip though).

They have the springs on order but have never had to replace rear springs before, so, we'll see how this goes once their in.

Dealer has no idea what caused the springs to partially collapse like that.

Not sure what to say about it, but thought it was odd. wanted to share

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's interesting; I've noticed the rear of our Santa Fe hitting the bumpstops on moderate highway bumps when we've got a full-load.

I wonder whether they spec'd softer springs to produce a more comfortable ride, but didn't take into account how they'd perform over rough pavement with a full-load. This is how they tried to soften the ride of the F-250-based Excursion, and it didn't work too well there either.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i've noticed the creaking and groaning for some time now and some rough ride in the rear end at times. i've carried some stuff for house projects and what not but don't think i've ever come close to loading it to its max cargo nor have i ever pulled any trailer that approached its max weight or should have been to much tongue weight. regardless though, here i am, with my rear springs partially collapsed and not sure why.

I would agree with the soft springs though as i do know it doesn't take much for the rear end to squat down on our car.

May be worth checking out if your rear end seems off or your hearing the creaking and groaning or something else seems off.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read the article. sounds a lot like what i'm experiencing. working on pictures. hard to get a good shot that shows the stance of the car but in person it looks nose high. the bump stops are nearly touching the bottom of the shock with nothing in the car. will add pictures and weights shortly to show

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From looking at it, the bump stops are nearly touching the bottom of the spring base right now. there is nothing in the car and a little less than 3/4 of a tank of gas.

Doing some quick math and leg work, i'm estimating between me, the wife, our two kids, luggage, hitch, hitch carrier and luggage, i'm estimating we had about 800lbs in the vehicle. Door sil says do not exceed 1111lbs of passengers and cargo. that brings us in at approx 72% of max. still a pretty healthy margin to avoid breaking anything i would think. On top of that, does anyone know what the "overage" is on their engineering max loads? i know from my flight engineering work most parts are over engineered and load tested to a set percentage above what is expected to be max load as safety margin. if parts are failing with 70% of listed max load.....

parts will not be in until sometime next week (they have never had to replace springs before). i'll be TDY until early Feb though but will post pics of the "after" once i can.

if anyone has any thoughts on the images please chime in.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of note, the pic of the side of wheel and outside body, i measured from top of tire tread to the fender. theres approx 1 1/2" space between the tire and fender with nothing in the vehicle (except the hitch that is mounted, approx 70lbs for the hitch per manufacture)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think this was all the shots.

I have one of the rear tire and one of the front for comparison. in person, it is pretty obvious there is a larger gap in the front than the rear between the tire and fender. the Santa Fe's on the lot today all looked pretty even between front and rear tire/fender gap.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Really wish my gls came with those rims.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Think this was all the shots.

I have one of the rear tire and one of the front for comparison. in person, it is pretty obvious there is a larger gap in the front than the rear between the tire and fender. the Santa Fe's on the lot today all looked pretty even between front and rear tire/fender gap.
Hard to tell, but it does look like space at the back is smaller than the front, which suggests something is definitely up. I looked at mine and I cannot tell the difference in gap between front and back.

Curious what they mean by collapsed spring as well...is it broken or is the metal of poor quality that it compressed to a shorter length?

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Noticed on the Hyundai website that you can only get those fancy wheels when ordering the Limited Santa Fe with tech package for 2014. In 2013 they came on the Limited w/o tech package.
I was in error--those wheels are available on the GLS also, but again, only with the tech package $4,100 increase. Ouch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a recently purchased 2014 with ~500 miles on it. Just looked and noticed a couple of things. First off there is definitely a space between the bump stops (reddish brown in your pictures) and the bottom plate. It's not huge mind you, maybe an inch or so (ballpark). Secondly, my bump stops are yellow in color, not reddish brown. Maybe they have multiple suppliers and color is how they distinguish between them? Of perhaps there was a design change implemented in the 2014's. Luck11, what color are yours? How about others?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hard to tell, but it does look like space at the back is smaller than the front, which suggests something is definitely up. I looked at mine and I cannot tell the difference in gap between front and back.

Curious what they mean by collapsed spring as well...is it broken or is the metal of poor quality that it compressed to a shorter length?

Keep us posted.
Luck - The spring appears to be in one piece and not broken. What appears to have happened was that the spring, for some reason (poor quality, poor design, ????), has compressed and not rebounded as it should. if you note in the images, the bump stops are nearly touching the base of the spring assembly, with NOTHING in the car and only 3/4 tank of gas.

I would be curios to see others spring/bumpstop gaps and see how ours compares. as soon as the springs are replaced, i'll get "after" shots up for comparison.

Of note, that article that was linked in this article, contained an image of the springs and bumpstops that looked as mine does now. the main difference being that in the Edmunds articicle, there was 700+ lbs in the car at the time of the Edmunds image, mine looks as compressed or slightly more compressed with an empty car.

I had the front/rear fender to tire gap images just for comparison as it was hard to get a shot with my phone that properly showed how the car looks in person with a slight nose high/tail low stance.

The stance of the car and camber of the rear tires right now, with the car completely empty, make the car appear that its loaded down in the back to near max load.

I'd be curios to know how the gap between your bump stops and spring base look.

Also, this could very likely explain the groan and creaking i keep hearing from my rear end when going over slow bumps and uneven pavement. i'd be curious to know if others having this issue have similar rear spring issues.

Also, if the springs failed at 70% load, what should i expect for the life of the vehicle? if i bought the vehicle for its people/load ability and ability to tow 5,000lbs, can i trust i can actually use the listed loads and towing capacity limits without risk of repeated damage?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a recently purchased 2014 with ~500 miles on it. Just looked and noticed a couple of things. First off there is definitely a space between the bump stops (reddish brown in your pictures) and the bottom plate. It's not huge mind you, maybe an inch or so (ballpark). Secondly, my bump stops are yellow in color, not reddish brown. Maybe they have multiple suppliers and color is how they distinguish between them? Of perhaps there was a design change implemented in the 2014's. Luck11, what color are yours? How about others?
Not disputing there is a gap between the stops and the base plate. i do not have an image nor did i look or notice before this event at how much space there was between the stops and the base, but my concern is the lack of space for remaining travel and the noticable camber of the rear tires at this point. i would expect there to be more than 1" of remaining travel with an empty vehicle.

i would be very curious to see how others rear springs look and their bump stop gap when empty.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was in error--those wheels are available on the GLS also, but again, only with the tech package $4,100 increase. Ouch.
yeah, that tech package wasn't cheap on our limited (believe $3,900 for our '13) but that panoramic sunroof is pretty nice, the kids love it as well, even just to open the sun shade and look out while driving. people also comment on the rims all the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not disputing there is a gap between the stops and the base plate. i do not have an image nor did i look or notice before this event at how much space there was between the stops and the base, but my concern is the lack of space for remaining travel and the noticable camber of the rear tires at this point. i would expect there to be more than 1" of remaining travel with an empty vehicle.

i would be very curious to see how others rear springs look and their bump stop gap when empty.
Yep, I totally agree that yours looks different than mine. Sorry I wasn't more clear. Mine is also unloaded so should be a good apples to apples comparison. I'll see if I can post a photo or 2 in a bit.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts