Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had to rotate the tires and adjust the emergency brake on Friday. Noticed leaking shock so I removed upper bolt and lower nut (need breaker bar to remove) and cant seem to pull it off. Is there a trick. I used a jack and put tension and no tension but cant get the sucker off. :confused::confused:

Any suggestions?

I will gladly post how to when I finally get it off.
New shock $80 each at hyundai.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
You're lifting just a little with the jack on the lower arm? You've pulled out the top bolt, and are having trouble getting it off the bottom? There's not a lot of room in there, but are you able to grab the top and rotate shock around the mounting stud at all? If not, you may have to get in behind the shock with a cat's paw or similar to loosen it. Just go easy on it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will admit. I didn't fight with it too long cause of the cold weather however I was able to remove the upper BOLT and lower nut. Is it simply a matter of pulling -pushing to get the lower part of the shock off, then work the top portion loose? Or do I work the top off then the lower?

I guess Im just going to have to be patient and persuasive with it. (cat paw, crow bar etc)

"Lifes a #@$ she like to give you the test then you learn the lesson"

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How you do it…hopefully not seized.

Boring Job

1) Chock front wheels and jack up rear end.
2) Install jack stands
3) Remove Wheel 21mm
a. use small jack and lift control arm literally 1 inch
4) Remove Upper Shock Bolt 23 MM and pry it out
5) Remove Lower Shock Nut 19mm
6) Compress Shock by hand and jam under frame
7) Take Pickle Fork & pry out lower shock from bolt (might need cheater bar)
8) Reassemble ( I purchased newer nuts for the lower for $2.00 at Hyundai and put anti seize when reassembling)

*****************Seized Shock On Lower Bolt************************

Fun Job

If the lower part of the struck is seized it’s a pain the A$$!
In other words after removing the lower nut the shock does not slide of the shaft.

1)Soak with PB blaster…Soak again and again.
2) Take Mapp Gas torch and heat just the lower casing of the shock that surround the bolt. Careful those shocks are filled with gas.
3) Take small sledge smack it around a bit
4) Compress the shock by hand jam it under the frame
5) Take pickle fork and cheater bar

I attached some pics of the job including some of the tools I used.

Attachments

·
22,793 Posts
^^^ Nice finish on the floor! I replaced my stock shocks with KYB's. $123/pair. But car was only a year old. Not difficult. Well, until it came to torqueing those lower nuts. The shocks just fell out, once I drove the bolts back through the mounting holes of the shocks. But we're talking an Elantra, not a SF. Same setup, basically. I'm thinking age had a lot to do with the ease of the removal.

Once in, you'll certainly enjoy the enhanced quality of the ride. "Once in..."

·
Registered
215 Posts
For future people tackling this (I'm doing it today) a pulley puller worked spectacularly well for getting the shock off the lower bolt. It's not exactly designed for the job but it made quick work of getting the shock off.

No need to wail on the thing with a pickle fork (my least favourite thing in the world!)

Neil

·
Registered
11 Posts
For future people tackling this (I'm doing it today) a pulley puller worked spectacularly well for getting the shock off the lower bolt. It's not exactly designed for the job but it made quick work of getting the shock off.

No need to wail on the thing with a pickle fork (my least favourite thing in the world!)

Neil
I second the use of a puller. I did my shocks on my 08 Santa Fe and they were seized hard. I hammered them, used a fork separator, tried to pry them using various ways and almost gave up. Got a puller and in a matter of 20 minutes the shocks came off the lower mount. They were also seized hard on the upper mount. You cannot use a puller there but after major wriggling with vice grips they came off.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Going to be doing this on my "08" sante fe. Should I use Hyundai shocks from the dealer or can I shop elsewhere to see if I can save some $$$

Also gonna replace the rear sway bar links as well...

Thanks!!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Going to be doing this on my "08" sante fe. Should I use Hyundai shocks from the dealer or can I shop elsewhere to see if I can save some $$$

Thanks!!
Lots of people on Elantra forum changing out to KYB shocks. People buying from from Rockauto, Advance auto, amazon etc...

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
A little over a year ago, in another thread, I had said
On the whole, I wouldn't have any qualms about using a KYB strut, but do be aware that they offer a couple of different 'grades' of struts, and that not all of those are made for every vehicle. As an example, I believe that for an '07 Santa Fe, they only offer the Excel-G line which isn't likely to last any longer than an OEM unit. Good news, less than $75 on Amazon and Prime eligible.
I haven't looked to see if they have extended their range for an '07 Santa Fe to any heavier duty models. Do you know if they are still offering just their Excel-G line for these vehicles?

·
Registered
87 Posts
A little over a year ago, in another thread, I had said

I haven't looked to see if they have extended their range for an '07 Santa Fe to any heavier duty models. Do you know if they are still offering just their Excel-G line for these vehicles?
I just replaced the front struts with KYB Excel-G ones. But advance has two different KYB rear shocks for the "08" Sante Fe.

??

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts

Thanks!!

KYB for me. Try kyboutlet.com. Good prices. Just bought a set for my Mustang as well.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Unlikely to have changed anything . The one model of KYB available are supposed to emulate OEM specs. Might be a bit tighter than 100K OEM shocks, though!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just did them on our 08' Santa, one side came off ok with the puller, other Drivers side left the metal bushing from shock eye on the stud, or pin as Hyundai calls it. What a nightmare getting that seized thing off there. Finally after hours of alternating heat, soak with atf/acetone, repeat etc. Funny that the pin looked perfect on that side, whereas on the other I had to burnish it with emery cloth to remove the rust! Now hardware is coated with silicone grease and anti seize on threads. Shocks were original, lots of miles (200K or 135mi) and well due.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hend0005, I am having EXACTLY the same problem as you did -- my 2009 Santa Fe is on jackstands right now! Passenger side, bottom shock came right off... just fell off, no puller needed.

Driver's side... the puller ripped the rubber of the shock and left the shock's metal bushing on the stud/pin. We are currently alternating heat and Kroil -- I am wondering how you got a purchase on this seized metal bushing? We've melted the residual rubber off, but having trouble getting a hold of this metal bushing thing to pull on it.

I see you are in Canada... I'm here in Minnesota... salty winter road country.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts