Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put in rear sensors or rear camera for the accent? Would the touch screen radio/stereo have an aux in to display the camera image?

·
Registered
63 Posts
You could also do a true backup camera which displays the video feed in an embedded display in the rearview mirror. That's a more elegant solution if all you are looking for is a backup camera and don't want to replace your radio or have a dashcam.

I am a huge proponent of dashcams and I encourage their use, but they are not the best solution if what you truly want is a backup camera.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You could also do a true backup camera which displays the video feed in an embedded display in the rearview mirror. That's a more elegant solution if all you are looking for is a backup camera and don't want to replace your radio or have a dashcam.

I am a huge proponent of dashcams and I encourage their use, but they are not the best solution if what you truly want is a backup camera.

But you want to have a recording in case you get rear-ended by a truck and the truck gets no damage and drives away, the recording would capture the face and the front facing camera can capture the license plate if it drives off ahead of you... makes getting insurance money to fix everything much, much easier.

·
Registered
63 Posts
But you want to have a recording in case you get rear-ended by a truck and the truck gets no damage and drives away, the recording would capture the face and the front facing camera can capture the license plate if it drives off ahead of you... makes getting insurance money to fix everything much, much easier.
I am not disputing the value of dashcams in a variety of circumstances, and not just the instance which you mentioned. I run one in every car I own. As I previously very clearly stated, I am a huge proponent of dashcams (for your reading pleasure here is my thread about installing a dashcam *with rear cam* input capability, btw: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-rb-2012-accent/224953-modding-my-accent-well-sort.html).

However, it does *not* appear the OP was asking about dashcams. The OP is asking about rear sensors or rear cameras which indicates he is more interested in a backup camera, not a dashcam. If what he wants is a backup cam, then the more elegant solution is a true backup camera with a display built-into his rearview mirror.

It's great to make the suggestion, but if he is looking for a backup camera, then telling him to get a dashcam may not necessarily be the best answer for the guy; just one possible alternative direction. Since I had another option for him, one that appeared to address the request he seemed to be making, I felt it would be reasonable to give it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I installed a peak wireless rearview camera for $35. It came with a small display that I mounted on my sunvisor. i just flip the visor down to see the display, and back up (out of the way), when not needed.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Honestly, if you can do it, get both the sensors and camera. The sensors can sense people coming from the sides of the cars, out of the view of the camera and the camera views what's directly behind.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Pyle L

I bought and installed this system and I'm very pleased with it. The screen sits on the dash of my '11 Sonata and I leave it up all the time. It does fold down out of sight if you prefer. It's easy to install and works well.
The price has gone up since I bought mine; I paid $51.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BOPOY70/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am looking to install a rear camera (wireless) with a mirror which will replace my 2014 Accent SE mirror. Not a pop on mirror, but a actual mirror which will mount on Accent windshield mount (remove factory mirror) which works in conjunction with a Accent rear view camera. Does anyone know who offers such a setup?
Rear view camera must work on supplied mirror ONLY. Many thanks if anyone can assist in this matter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
4 3" HD Car Rear View Mirror Monitor with H 264 1080p DVR G Sensor Backup Camera | eBay

Another option which not only incorporates the dashcam style set up which mrmr256 suggests BUT is embedded into the rearview mirror as one unit and acts as a back up camera as well.

Now *that* is what I call an elegant solution which meets multiple needs and is pretty danged stealth.

No, it's not wireless, but if you live in a metropolitan area you may want to avoid wireless backup cams since many use WiFi to transmit/receive and if the receiver happens to pick up a stray wifi signal from something you are driving past, it can cause distracting flickering of the display unit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Afterthought... The only thing I see wrong with the camera above is that the camera lens is really on the wrong side of the mirror back for those in a left hand drive vehicle. For best viewing, it needs to be to the other side of the mount bracket. Otherwise, part of what you will end up recording will be the bracket due to the angle the driver needs to have a mirror at for it to work as a mirror.

·
Registered
27 Posts
RMurphy
Thanks for your information and recommendation on the forward view camera being on the wrong side for left hand drivers. I emailed supplier on installation instructions as I do not know if this is something I can do on my 2014 Hyundai Accent SE and being vehicle is new, I do not want to screw something up. Many thanks my friend.
John

·
Registered
63 Posts
^^ You could also go to any reputable stereo installer for assistance. If you can install a stereo, you can do one of these. If you have any concerns about your ability to install a stereo, then chances are you should have someone else handle it for you.

Seriously, if this is the first bit of research you have done on the topic, you really want to do more than just post on this forum, ask who else has installed a back up camera, and then base your decision on what you read here. You might want to seek forums that specialize in the topic of installing electronics (including backup cameras) and not just this forum.

·
22,793 Posts
Silvergls did the sensors on the rear bumper. One of the Elantra GT guys did sensors, and front/rear cameras.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just looked at license plate light lens (2) on rear plate and it is removed by using straight edge screwdriver, no screws. I do not know how I can connect a rear camera to the license plate light lens without screws on light lens cover. Also, I cannot use a camera on my plate frame (type) as I use a locking license plate which will not allow me to use plate frame. Does anyone else have a 2014 Accent SE with a rear view camera? If you do, please let me know where and how it is mounted. Many thanks.
John

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think I might be inclined to buy an aftermarket rear view camera if it was truly plug and play, wireless, and simply has an on/off button. A thin video screen panel that attaches to your visor like the old registration holders and is easily removable. Push for on, push for off ( that's located on the screen ) and it runs on ( for example ) a large watch battery or small lithium ion power source. To me, THAT would be the only elegant solution if you're only looking for "rear view when you want it." I'm not going to wire something into my car that operates when reverse gear is engaged and all this other flatulence that I don't need. If I'm in a sketchy area, I'll just take it off the visor and put it in my pocket if I'm afraid it's any kind of enticement. I don't see units like this for sale at present...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts