Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I was driving down the highway at 65 mph, something caught my attention in the rear view mirror. I looked, and the headrests on both 2nd row seats were vibrating back and forth. It was subtle, not a violent shaking, but enough where I noticed it.

The road was smooth, and the car was driving perfectly fine, and I did not notice any unusual vibrations anywhere other than the 2nd row headrests.

It was noticeable, but just subtle enough where I'm wondering now if it has always done that and I just haven't noticed before. I don't think that is the case, but it is possible. Anyone else have any kind of experience like this? I have never had a car where I could see (or notice) the headrests vibrating on smooth pavement. Seems odd to me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine is the same way. It is rather annoying when you are trying drive and you see something moving out of the corner of your eye.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Same here. I attribute it to the fact that they are captain's chairs and don't have the normal support afforded by a bench seat. No big deal.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I guess it's been doing it all along and I just never noticed it before today. That in itself proves that it's no big deal.

Of course now that I noticed it for the first time, I'm going to notice it every time!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I drive a Santa Fe Sport with a 40/20/40 rear seat, and the rear headrests and seat backs vibrate when going over the slightest uneven pavement. It doesn't vibrate if someone is sitting in the seat. I took it to the dealer and they confirmed it was happening but they don't have a solution. It's not a big noise, and for a while I thought it was coming from the styrofoam cargo tray. I've never had a 40/20/40 split before. It looks as though there's not enough support to keep the seats from chattering.

·
Registered
539 Posts
great, now you got me thinking. My wife's new 2014 santa fe only 2 weeks old at 1,000 miles at msot I drove today about 35 miles and kept hearing a rattling over normal bumps in the road seemed to be coming from behind 2nd row seats in back behind 2nd row seats. I took out the spring loaded cargo cover tray and re-checked secure of spare tire parts in the foam and made sure no seat belts were rattling and no spare tire under vehicle was loose jiggling.

It better NOT be the 2nd row seats or headrests rattling around that bad or it will be going back to dealer for a buyout I cannot stand rattles and if 2nd row seats or headrests, that is pretty piss poor quality control.

If happens again I will try removing the 2nd row headrests and if that is the problem, I'll be ticked. I had an issue with both front seat headrests creaking on our then new 2009 toyota corolla and dealer had to remove and stuff more foam inside the seats on top to eliminate the looseness of the metal bars going down into the seats - such terrible quality control for a new vehicle of any kind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I saw the title of this thread and thought YES, ME TOO! My captains chairs in my 2014 vibrate even when I can't feel any vibrations from the road. I think it's done it all along. I'm just over 4,000 miles now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting, I've noticed the same thing with the armrest/cupholder in our LWB (bench seat). I thought it might be that my winter tires were out of balance and I just put the summer's on and have forgot to check. With the winters on (after the snow had all melted), the kids would be talking and I could hear their voices waver. I'll have to check now and report back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2015 Sante Fe seat vibrations!

I saw the title of this thread and thought YES, ME TOO! My captains chairs in my 2014 vibrate even when I can't feel any vibrations from the road. I think it's done it all along. I'm just over 4,000 miles now.

We just test drove 2 new 2015 sante fe's and they both had seat vibrations (both front and 2nd row chairs), even at low speeds. I'm concerned this will become annoying and am disappointed since the Hyundais are fabulously designed and appointed! Not sure now we'll be buying one!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
My rear seats vibrate a bit at speed or over bumps, but it doesn't bother me one bit, because I for one, don't spend my time staring at my rear seats while driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We're talking about a $40,000 car here and the vibrating isn't just visible. Both of us saw all the seats shaking and felt the vibrations throughout our lower backs- whether driving at 20 or 60mp or sitting in the front or back. We checked the digital tire readout and pressure was correct so unless both test vehicles had sensor errors, this seems to indicate a potential design flaw. I'd like to know if it's how the seats (front and back) are secured or if there is something else. We keep our vehicles for 10 + years and currently drive a 12 year old Avalanche that has nowhere near these vibrations so I was very surprised.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Compared to an Avalanche, the Santa Fe is built much lighter with associated engineering differences for certain. The vibration might be a deal breaker for you. It wasn't for me. I've had mine for a year next month, and simply love it compared to my heavier 2002 GM SUV that it replaced. I too keep my vehicles for 10+ years. I think it's a smart thing to do. Here's hoping Hyundai's warranty is indicative of their longevity.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
We're talking about a $40,000 car here and the vibrating isn't just visible. Both of us saw all the seats shaking and felt the vibrations throughout our lower backs- whether driving at 20 or 60mp or sitting in the front or back. We checked the digital tire readout and pressure was correct so unless both test vehicles had sensor errors, this seems to indicate a potential design flaw. I'd like to know if it's how the seats (front and back) are secured or if there is something else. We keep our vehicles for 10 + years and currently drive a 12 year old Avalanche that has nowhere near these vibrations so I was very surprised.
I have driven several SFs, both LWG and the Sport, from a variety of dealers before buying mine, and never experienced what you're describing. I don't "feel" anything. My rear seats vibrate a bit but suspect that is because they are independently mounted, and don't have the lateral support of a bench seat. Only time I "felt" vibrations in my SF was when I put on 20" after market wheels, and even then it wasn't "shake the car" bad. Nevertheless, being as picky as I am, it took 5 visits to tire shop where I bought them to finally get them properly balanced. By the 3rd time, I am sure they were swearing under their breath when they saw me pull up again. Anyway, since then, they have been smooth as silk.

Causes could be a bent wheel, a wheel out of balance (weights to fall off), or perhaps the tires developed flat spots from sitting on the lot without movement too long, or it could be a myriad of mechanical causes. Who knows, but what you describe, both a low and higher speeds, is not normal, especially if felt as well as seen.

If it was a common problem, you would see a ton more activity on this forum. Honestly, I feel no vibrations in my SF and the slight movement of seats doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I do feel some vibrations on my lower back. Yes, the headrests are shaking a little bit too. Vibrations on the steering wheel also, just a little bit. They are the same vibrations as on my previous 2007 SF and older 2004 Volvo S40. Same vibrations on a Mazda CX9 I was recently as a passenger. On a perfectly smooth asphalt my 2014 SF is smooth, no vibrations at all.
So, I think, some vibrations is normal, unless you guys have driven cars that feel like flying over any kind of asphalt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seat vibrations

Thanks for your helpful responses all! Plan to head out for more test drives this weekend and will consider your comments. So far, have driven the 2015 Buick Enclave, Toyota Hghlander and Cadillac XRS without noticing the degree of vibrations, but will make another round! Point taken about the extensive Hyundai warranty- I was impressed too. Moving back to Germany for a few years soon, so even tho (most) US dealers have said the manufacturer won't honor the US warranty overseas, it would be good to know they confidently stand behind their products.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 santafe and have experience the rear head rests vibrating as well around 60 mph. I thought it was caused by wheel balancing or snow tires.

The garage said the wheel balancing was fine.

Go figure??

·
Premium Member
2021 Santa Fe Limited 2.5T
314 Posts
My 2014 Santa Fe second row captain chair was vibrating & squeezing so after I took delivery. Took it back & they removed the seat & something about bushings, then replaced it. Headrests still vibrate a little but no squeak.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts