Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been talked about. Knocking in rear right area, when driving over bumps and holes.

Dealer said its the assist arm. $300cdn.

Read its sway and struts. As of 2010 Hyundai had no recall or solution to issue.

Will this correct the noise. When I push the rear up and down I get no noise.

Sorry if this is a duplicate post.

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've been trying to figure out a solution to this as well, but mine is left rear and is noticeable when backing out at an angle over a bump. I've replaced shocks, sway bar links and bushings. When I open the trunk and rock the car back and forth I can hear a knock from the left rear but it takes a bit of effort. I can put my hand on the left rear upper arm and feel it. But I've detached the upper arm and re-did the test and it still knocks. Same with the sway bar bushings, detached and the clunk is still there. I don't feel it in the trailing arm, shock, spring.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Confirmed there is play in the left assist arm (lateral link) balljoint. I've ordered 2 of them (one for each side) for about $100 shipped to FedEx Office in Buffalo from RockAuto.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Pretty handy living close to the border for you guys.

No rear clunks yet on my 07 , slight steering clunk from mps flex coupling I haven't changed yet, only a problem for my year says TSB's.

Autio7 brand on Rockauto comes in Hyundai möbius bags and is made in Korea.

Just put the second timing belt on at 215k , hanging together pretty good.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pretty handy living close to the border for you guys.

No rear clunks yet on my 07 , slight steering clunk from mps flex coupling I haven't changed yet, only a problem for my year says TSB's.

Autio7 brand on Rockauto comes in Hyundai möbius bags and is made in Korea.

Just put the second timing belt on at 215k , hanging together pretty good.
It's kind of funny the amount of stuff you can get on RockAuto for these cars which actually turns out to be OEM stuff in different clothing. The aftermarket is pretty small.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah I even got Moog premium front end parts that where stamped made in Korea, made me laugh.

Kineck has post office boxes at Queenstone Lewiston and a $10 pick up fee for up to 15 days.

·
Registered
147 Posts
replacing the assist arms fixed the clunk. please note: the cam bolt was pretty much seized into place on both sides and required penetrating oil, heat, and an air chisel.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
.... and patience I assume.

So rear alignment is next, or did you paint mark components ?

Rochauto discount code for 5% good until Nov 24 .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE

I had the right side done on the assist arm. Plus 4 wheel alignment. I do still get a dull knock when hitting potholes, not so obvious on the left when hitting a pothole.

NEW Sometimes when going on an incline like a sidewalk to a drive turning left or right I hear 3 knocks center to left rear. Sounds like someone knocking on glass.

Any ideas? Suspension?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took it in today for test drive. They think its now the bushings maybe struts, but no harm being done. Will check on next oil change.

They notice zip ties being used on hinge area in trunk.
I may look into sound deadening if all else fails.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Check out my posts on rear noise. I have a 2008. After along battle and contacting Hyundai Canada, they installed re valved shocks in the rear and stop the thumping. They are firmer but handles much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2011 sonata SE and I also hear a noise in the drivers side rear suspension when going over small bumps. This thread seems to indicate it may be the assist arm? I have also read a lot about the ball joints going early in these cars. Is this a correct assessment?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
You are in the élantra forum. Check in the sonata forum, there is a recall I believe regarding rear suspension, don't recall the details.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just another experience, had knocking "in the back" on my 09 Elantra, and luckily I was poking around before taking it in - turned out the spare tire got loose and was making quite scary noises. It has happened once since, so apparently the nut the holds the spare donut can get loose over time. Likely won't help owners who are replacing all kinds of hardware already, but as silly as it is, it may help someone...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just another experience, had knocking "in the back" on my 09 Elantra, and luckily I was poking around before taking it in - turned out the spare tire got loose and was making quite scary noises. It has happened once since, so apparently the nut the holds the spare donut can get loose over time. Likely won't help owners who are replacing all kinds of hardware already, but as silly as it is, it may help someone...
Not as silly as it sounds mate.
My Son's car has had an intermittent knocking type sound in the right rear the last week or two.
We've not had the car long so I checked all the obvious suspension points, and everything else I understand to no avail.

I actually came here today to share my findings.

After removing the plastic/felt liner in the boot, we found a wheel wrench sitting inside the right rear guard lol :D

No idea why someone would have put it there, and there's still one in the right spot, but it just goes to show what you might find in a second hand car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
FYI share - for folks who cannot find root cause of right rear mystery sounds in their Elantra.

Got a 2008 Elantra GLS and had rattle / knocking noise in right rear suspension for the last 6.5 years. Since buying, I installed HD Sway bar (from Elantra touring model), installed new 2 x End Links (Moog version with grease fittings) and in the new HD Sway bar, I also drilled / installed my own grease fittings. Still, the noise was persistent. This week, I finally bought / installed Lateral Link Support Bar ( re: Dorman 522-006 Lateral Link - from Amazon) in right rear suspension area and rear suspension noise over bumps is now gone. WOW! I should have done this part replacement years ago.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I fought for months with the right rear knocking all of it has been posted in this form. Common problem with 2009-10 models, but there were some in 2008 which we owned. The struts fixed the problem. Prior to that everything thing was replaced in the rear suspension.

https://prnt.sc/lv57mv ---

https://prnt.sc/lv58eu

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts