Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to test out the rear middle seat on my car the other day, and found it to be apalling. I'm 6'2, and I could not fit in it - my head hit the ceiling. Not only that but it was uncomfortable even to sit in for a few minutes. I was very surprised, because this is supposed to be a large mid-size car designed to seat 5. Never had this problem in other cars.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am 6 feet exactly and back seat comfort was key for my purchase. Too many times I would avoid having a couple people along for the ride in the back of my VW 2000 Jetta TDI because I saw how cramped they were and I felt like it was still my college car (and I did very much like the Jetta in all other aspects).

I tested the back seat of all the cars that were in the running in my recent process leading up to the Sonata purchase. At my height, I felt 6'0" was the limit, and that was NOT in the middle seat.

I'll have someone in that middle seat if they are small or it's a short ride, but as for a full-size adult....no way. However, I'm fine with that. I view the car as a nice 4-seater with a little extra room in that middle if necessary for a certain-sized person.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm only 5'10 and I cant sit in the back seat anywhere in mine without bending my head sideways. fortunately, ill be driving, or at the very worst, passed out in the front passenger seat with the gf driving... so ill never have to sit back there except when cleaning the windows.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Me too, gregd71 -

I find that while driving I don't feel cramped in the back seat at all!

:grin:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Rear middle seat is cramped on most any car.

I loved my old 2004 Maxima. It had a center console that ran the whole length of the car (option). Sat 4 very comfortably as opposed to trying to ever cram 5. I totally get the need to occasionally get 5 in a car, and I think it should only be an option on a family sedan. Boy would I love my Sonata even more if it had that option.

(not my car, mine had black leather, not orange)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yeah, that would be a cool way to do the back seats in the Sonata, Ayces.

Wonder if there is an after market rear seat console that could be added?

At least the center fold-down armrest is better than nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE (Ayces @ Jul 2 2010, 03:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338387

I loved my old 2004 Maxima. It had a center console that ran the whole length of the car (option). Sat 4 very comfortably as opposed to trying to ever cram 5. I totally get the need to occasionally get 5 in a car, and I think it should only be an option on a family sedan. Boy would I love my Sonata even more if it had that option.

Man I loved those Maximas.

·
Registered
123 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ Jul 3 2010, 12:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338536
+1

Dear Davez621:

Water is wet.

Sincerely,

Capt. Obvious

++1

I have had 4 people in my car, and they were all adults. We all were able to fit comfortably in there. i kept asking if they needed more room, and no one offered any negative comments.

I haven't had to have 5 people in my car, but i bet i would have had the same problem in my 89 accord, 2000 malibu...maybe the 93 cutlas. but the "bi%$^" seat is just that...

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (Ayces @ Jul 2 2010, 05:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338387

This is how the VW CC is also. They acknowledge that in order to get the sleek and sporty looking roofline that they had to sacrifice some rear headroom, and rather than cramp 5 people in there, they made the center console run the entire length of the car to make it so 4 people can sit comfortably.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Didn't buy this car for its backseat. Rarely will four people occupy this car and never for any length of time. I did find the headroom in the backseat adequate for two adults of average size. One car can never satisfy all our wishes, but this Sonata meets my requirements.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That back-middle seat is perfect for my 2 year old's car seat (with a towel under it to not put creases in the leather). I can still fit 2 adults comfortably enough in the back with it in there.

Who cares about how the occupants in the back seat feel? You're giving them a ride! *LOL*

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (unccjester @ Jul 6 2010, 09:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339382
That back-middle seat is perfect for my 2 year old's car seat (with a towel under it to not put creases in the leather). I can still fit 2 adults comfortably enough in the back with it in there.

Who cares about how the occupants in the back seat feel? You're giving them a ride! *LOL*
I just realized that the reason for the head-room being so poor in the middle seat could be due to the pana moonroof. I'll try and sit in a model without the roof next time I'm at the dealer and see if I have the same problem with my head hitting the ceiling :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Jul 20 2010, 04:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343313
I just realized that the reason for the head-room being so poor in the middle seat could be due to the pana moonroof. I'll try and sit in a model without the roof next time I'm at the dealer and see if I have the same problem with my head hitting the ceiling :D
Just curious but, do you drive around with 3 people in your back seat often? And if so, is it the occasional office lunch run or are you commuting long distances or always driving adult relatives around? I ask this because perhaps what you really need is a minivan or an SUV with 3 row seating? The truth is, I seriously doubt *any* sedan on the market is going to give you a "comfortable" middle seat. It hasn't been that way since the 1970's.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Jul 20 2010, 02:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343313
Hahaha. Somehow I don't feel sorry for you. Can't fit a third adult because of your panoramic moonroof... That's like complaining that your wallet won't close with all the hundred dollar bills you have stuffed in it. :grin:

I'm only jealous because the US doesn't even get that option. :p

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Jul 2 2010, 03:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338337
I decided to test out the rear middle seat on my car the other day, and found it to be apalling. I'm 6'2, and I could not fit in it - my head hit the ceiling. Not only that but it was uncomfortable even to sit in for a few minutes. I was very surprised, because this is supposed to be a large mid-size car designed to seat 5. Never had this problem in other cars.
Dave - Setting in thee back seat was your first mistake. If you are trying to seat 5 then you just have too many friends and should consider making somebody else drive their car! :grin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.