Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the rear map lights (the light over the rear door with the button) with led bulbs on my 14 sport. I can pry out the housing and disconnect the electrical connection from the car. Once I get the housing out, there doesn't seem to be anyway to get the bulb out without breaking it. Dealership says that I would have to buy a new unit if the bulb blows. GTFOH.
Is there anyway to get this bulb out without snapping something??

·
Registered
977 Posts
GTFOH, no kidding. I’m sure my 14 XL are similar to yours and it shouldn’t be that bad unless SFS are completely different. Can you snap a few pics of that housing and bulb for us to see??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
It is - by far - the hardest bulb to replace other than the side markers in the headlights.

I had to remove mine and use a very thin metal tool to pry the cover off, and I still broke one. (they are about $20 each, and I know because I bought one from HyundaiOEMparts.com). Anyway, maybe something like a pecan meat tool (if you know what I am talking about) should work if you don't have access to the tools people like stereo installers use to pop door handles, etc

They are an 18mm festoon, as I recall. LED lamps that size are relatively easy to find - try eBay or local auto parts stores, probably much cheaper from the former, but that requires a lot of patience.

Now, those side markers - jeez! Leave them halogen, I did manage to replace mine with Zevo LEDs. Without a 90° ratchet and infinite patience - forget it - it's not worth the trouble and the OEM ones will outlast your vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts