Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2011 Santa fe, and at the weekend my rear window exploded, it literally blew out, there was a head size hole blown out of the glass and all the glass was on the road, there was no glass in the car at all.

Any ideas as to why this could of happened, or is there a fault with this vehicle.

Thank you Kitty.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Well that's a first!
When a car window cracks due to issues of temperature differential and a small fault in the glass (e.g., a chip) or similar issues, they normally just crack -- it's the nature of the glass used in a vehicle window to fragment with impact.

That said, your comments that all of the glass was outside and none inside, and a 'head sized hole', certainly raise some interesting questions about how this happened. Honestly, it sounds for all the world like an impact from inside. Not carrying a loaded weapon in there, are you??? :eek:

Still, it's possible that stresses from mounting could have caused a thermal expansion to destroy the window. I'd like to see where the hole was and its shape, and to find out where it was parked and any sun conditions and ambient temperature at the time. Do you by any chance have a picture of the results?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More info that you required, sorry. It was a sunny day about 19c and the car was parked on my drive. There were occasional showers.

Hope that helps.

Kitty.x

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Frankly, I have never seen this happen before! Like Canderson stated, could be an imperfection or a chip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its really strange, the glass itself after it broke was perfect, there wasn't a piece missing, apart from the obvious hole!! I checked the whole of the surface of the window and the edge. Not a mark.

I've just spoken to the Hyundai dealer where she is from and they are not really interested. I think they think I'm being silly!!

Kitty. x:eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
All the glass in vehicles except the windshield are tempered not laminated. It looks like you have a film on your glass. If you do, that could be the reason for the breakage.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Impact

All the glass in vehicles except the windshield are tempered not laminated. It looks like you have a film on your glass. If you do, that could be the reason for the breakage.
Film on the glass does not cause it to blow out like is shown if anything film would improve the stability of the glass. As Canderson stated it looked like it was an impact from the inside out. what was the white around the edges did you try and patch the hole so you could drive it? Did the rest of the window shatter in small pieces but stay in the frame? Will the dealer cover it or can you go to one of the window guys that advertise to fix front windows and doesnt cost you anything over what insurance pays?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
As is another user, I'm very curious to know what I'm looking at in the second photo. What's all the white around the edges? Tape?

One thing to check .. depending upon what you have for an insurance policy, find out whether it includes 'zero deductible glass'. It's offered by a lot of companies, but usually only comes with the increased cost of a lower overall deductible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The white stuff around the glass edge is masking tape, I placed it there so I could safely remove the window. Also there was no film on the glass. The vehicle is a standard from the showroom.

There was no impact from inside the vehicle to destroy the glass. There was nothing in the car to cause any damage.

It was a spontaneous occurrence.

Thank you for the insurance information. But my main concern is the possibility of it being a major fault with the glass or even the heating element within the window itself.

Thank you.

Kitty. x

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you perform a google search you'll see it sometimes does happen. It happened to my grandparent's 1989 Bonneville years ago as the car was sitting in the garage.

Likely it started with a chip and temp changes, a bump or something else caused the right mix of forces to shatter the glass. Since its tempered, that's how thy break.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had my rear windows explode today. Going about 35 Miles / Hour it was 27Degrees outside and the rear-windows defroster was on. The car was on for 20 minutes and heated by then. Checked the car for bb or pellet but nothing metal in car. Funny thing different than Kitty's experience that all glass fell inside the car. The car was empty in back. Very Strange, will report this to Hyundai tomorrow morning

Randy

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
There was a TV discussion alerting a problem with some off shore manufacturers cheaping out on windows. I don't recall the specifics. Contact the dealer and if nothing check with the insurance company because they launch claims back to the OEM because of manufacturing faults.

I don't see what country you're in, nothing in signature or model. Anyway its not normal.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I just had my rear windows explode today.
Here's hoping that you're still under warranty (a year and trim level would be nice) or that they offer (in your state/location; a location would be nice) and you purchased a zero deductible glass policy on your auto insurance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004 hyundia sante fe, this morning I was cleaning the rear hatch, when I finished I was closing the window and the whole thing blew up. the vehicle had sat all night and hadn't been driven. The explosion was so powerful it was all over the parking lot. I just want someone to know something is wrong with these windows. and yes is was a heated one but if it hadn't been driven at the time it exploded then what could have caused this. I was thinking someone had tried to break in and was detered by someone and when I started to close it which wasn't a slam.as a matter it was halfway shut,my hand was still on it when it blew. I just need to know what may have caused this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear Window Shattered

I have a 2017 Santa Fe Sport. I was driving about 45-50 mph when I heard a loud boom. I look in my rearview mirror and noticed my entire back window was shattered. When I pulled over to look the whole thing disintegrated. I have no idea what caused it but it scared me. I had it replaced but had to pay a $250 insurance deductible. Just wondered if this has happened to a lot of people. I'd add a picture but can't figure out how.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's not just a Hyundai thing. I've seen posts on other forums for other manufacturers reporting the same thing. Out of the blue the rear window blows out. (all had rear window defrost)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Hyundai Accent drove to take someone to work park the car and all the sudden heard the noise and my rear window just blew out. Does anyone know if any of that is covered buy some kind of warranty?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
For all the shattered glass to have been expelled from the vehicle, there had to be forces inside pushing out.
This is especially true when the glass is at an incline over the vehicle like this one.

First thing that comes to mind is gun shot or air canon .. of course, ruled out.
It is doubtful that the Hyundai dealership will want to replace it under warranty ... don't believe it would be covered

Second thing would be ... para-normal ... ????

It is strange
And possibly with lots of investigation, there might be a logical explanation.
However, I would rather replace the glass and get on with my life.
Don't believe it will happen again
But, if it does then I would get rid of the vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Car sat in driveway for 1 1/2 days. Came out to drive it and back window was shattered. No rock or branch around. Checked house cameras - no incident noted. On Day I did drive vehicle before, glass was intact. No chips or cracks. No obvious reason for glass to spontaneously shatter. Safelite out to replace. Technician told me he has seen before. Could be related to short in heating element. It was 51 degrees outside & rear window defrost had not been used at all prior to event. Reported to Hyundai Customer Affairs. 2015 Asante Fe Sport.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts