Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is frustrating...

With the doors unlocked, I can hear the lock mechanism moving when I press the door release button. The hatch stays shut.

The hatch also doesn't open from the inside, using that recessed slider thingy.

So the electrics seems OK, but the mechanical part of it isn't working properly. It was working perfectly the day before.

I've searched and I haven't found any info... I've tried pushing up and down on the door and hitting it with the palm of my hand to see if either of those would release it, but no luck.

Before I bring it to the dealer, is there anything I could've missed? The owner's manual didn't mention a valet mode or anything.

And I bought this car largely because it had the most cargo room of all the compact cars out there... argh! I play drums and need to move gear pretty often.

thanks for any help or suggestions
b

·
Registered
23 Posts
I actually just had this issue where pressing the button it would make the noise and the lights would flash. The result was that my latch was broken. Replaced it under warranty (took about an hour once they had the part in) and now the hatch works better than it ever did.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks... yeah, I tried it with all the doors unlocked and with the trunk release button on the key fob.

But I'll try the trunk release button again while lifting the hatch.

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's too bad.. This reeks of warranty work so don't fret.
I had an issue with my Nissan for this same issue. It turned out the strap from my laptop bag was jammed in the locking mechanism. I slammed it shut on it. I took the same approach as what was suggested here. Press the button and lift at the same time and see if that works.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Ummm...is there a button INSIDE the car to open the hatch? I thought you had to open it by pressing the switch/button on the outside. My button on the remote has never worked to open it...does this mean that mine needs warranty work also?

·
22,787 Posts
Do the 2014's have the override in the glove box? Kind of a "keep the valet out" feature? Usually found on upper-end vehicles. Thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have you considered folding down the rear seats? From there you might have someone depress the outside handle and pull while you apply some subtle(or maybe not so) foot or leg pressure from the inside. Just a thought.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wait so when I push the hatch button on my key fob it's supposed to open my hatch not just unlock it? Mine has never opened since I owned it, it has only just unlocked when I press the key fob button.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Mine has NEVER opened when I push the key fob trunk button. It will unlock/click but that's it. It will unlock and open even if I don't push the trunk release button on the fob if it's within close enough proximity.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct... The fob won't open the hatch. It'll just unlock it.

When I pressed my fob, the hatch unlocked and when I pressed the handle, I heard the "click" of the door mechanism trying to release... but the door wouldn't budge.

Just a routine defective part, I guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, this is frustrating...

With the doors unlocked, I can hear the lock mechanism moving when I press the door release button. The hatch stays shut.

The hatch also doesn't open from the inside, using that recessed slider thingy.

So the electrics seems OK, but the mechanical part of it isn't working properly. It was working perfectly the day before.

I've searched and I haven't found any info... I've tried pushing up and down on the door and hitting it with the palm of my hand to see if either of those would release it, but no luck.

Before I bring it to the dealer, is there anything I could've missed? The owner's manual didn't mention a valet mode or anything.

And I bought this car largely because it had the most cargo room of all the compact cars out there... argh! I play drums and need to move gear pretty often.

thanks for any help or suggestions
b
We bought 2016 Elantra GT GLS 2.0 on February 2nd 2017. I couldn't open the trunk because of terrible design for the winter countries. There was a rain + freezing rain. There is a small gab between a roof and the trunk door. When after 2 days finally I forced it open, it was full of ice all the way of the door and the electrical cables were frozen in it. The trunk edge paint eventually will come off because of a hard ice. I had to manually and carefully remove the ice blocks and they were falling on the rear seats. If I would know this I would never buy this car. I have a car for not even 2 weeks and it had only 13,000 km on it. I am ready to go to the dealer, because this will be a constant problem in the winter. We I don't have a garage and the car is parked on the driveway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trunk lid problem

I have a new 2016 Elantra GT GLS 2.0. There was a freezing rain. There is a small gab between a roof and the trunk lid. I couldn't open the lid. When after 2 days finally I forced it open, it was full of big chunks of ice all the way along the lid and the electrical cables were frozen in a big chunks of ice. The trunk edge paint eventually will come off because of a hard ice every time I would have to force to open the trunk. I had to manually and carefully remove the ice blocks and they were falling on the rear seats. I remember well when we went on the test drive, salesman couldn't open a trunk. Now I know why. He knew it. Today was snowing and I opened the trunk and in order to clean it, all snow go on the seats and in a trunk. I was talking to friend on the phone and he said he is positive the factory didn't install there the weatherstripping in that area, that is why water and snow gets in and stays in that space preventing door to open. I have to contact the dealer and requesting to solve this terrible problem. I hope it is a what friend told me. I would never ever think that such a nonsense in design would ever leave the engineers table. Anyone experienced this problem?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a new 2016 Elantra GT GLS 2.0. There was a freezing rain. There is a small gab between a roof and the trunk lid. I couldn't open the lid. When after 2 days finally I forced it open, it was full of big chunks of ice all the way along the lid and the electrical cables were frozen in a big chunks of ice. The trunk edge paint eventually will come off because of a hard ice every time I would have to force to open the trunk. I had to manually and carefully remove the ice blocks and they were falling on the rear seats. I remember well when we went on the test drive, salesman couldn't open a trunk. Now I know why. He knew it. Today was snowing and I opened the trunk and in order to clean it, all snow go on the seats and in a trunk. I was talking to friend on the phone and he said he is positive the factory didn't install there the weatherstripping in that area, that is why water and snow gets in and stays in that space preventing door to open. I have to contact the dealer and requesting to solve this terrible problem. I hope it is a what friend told me. I would never ever think that such a nonsense in design would ever leave the engineers table. Anyone experienced this problem?
yes, there is a gap between the hatch door and the body, and a large area across the top and down the sides where rain and moisture will drain down and on top of the bumper.
At the edge of the hatch opening on all sides, top, side and bottom is a raised rubber weather seal to seal against the hatch door before water enters the car. This is the only seal. You can see it easily when you open the hatch door, otherwise it is out of view from the outside and inside. This seal is installed on a raised edge or lip.
Freezing rain can always be a problem to get into a gap, then maybe freeze before it drains away. Once it starts to freeze, and more rain comes... then it will not flow away easily and buildup like you describe.
It has never happened to me, but I think it is what has happened in this particular case.... a combination of freezing rain, freezing and more rain and freeze.... without a thaw to drain away.

I have washed my car on very cold freezing days. I have never had such a problem as you describe.
I do try to remember to open all my doors after the wash when I get home... often the doors seals will start to freeze and the door is a little hard to open.. takes a small tug to open... but once door is open, then there is no further problem until the next wash or rain that freezes.

so check that you have the rubber seal, clear debris (leaves) if any away that might stop the flow of water, and hopefully that will be the end of it.
I am thinking in your case, maybe the car was parked under a water drip (off a roof?) as well that might have put extra water on the roof near the hatch area and that also made the issue worse when the freezing came.
I even wash that gap area in warm weather (it gets dirty) and wax the paint there once per year to help prevent rust forming and helps water to flow out of that gap area.

This is the first time in my 4+ years on this forum that someone has complained about this freezing issue on this model car... thinking yours must be an unusual circumstance that created it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
This is not a phenomenon exclusive to Hyundai. Many vehicles over the years will freeze a door, trunk, hatch when subjected to extended frozen precipitation. Shoot, back in January '85 I had to spend nearly an hour pouring warm water on the door seam of a Fiero to get the door open so I could start the car and get some heat going.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts