Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm new round around these forums! I've looked to see if the questions been asked before but I couldn't see it, so sorry if its a repeat. The problem is one of the rear double folding seats is stuck locked to the floor, so it won't flip up. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and knows how to resolve it because I'm guessing its not covered on the warranty so I'll have to try fix it myself.

Thanks in advance

Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find a fix for this? I'm having the same problem with my 2007. The right side will not budge. It seems that the hinge is releasing on the side with the lever but not the other side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, time to necro this thread.

I have no idea how the original poster resolved their issue 5 years ago now, but this issue has just happened to me.

The rear double-fold seat is an issue. There are two catches that hold the underside of the rear seat to the floor for that wonderful double fold (both seat backs fold forward, but then the entire rear bench seat lifts up vertically to create a rather large flat seatless area for loading larger things into the getz).

Those two underseat catches are normally activated by a large handle that sits near the floor of the cargo area. That handle is attached to a couple of cables which each are supposed to activate and release catches from their anchor in the floor of the rear seat area.

In my case, one of them is releasing, but the other is not. I expect this is due to cable stretch over the last six years, but it seems to be a horrible oversight since there is not secondary way to release the catch that is failing to open.

What's worse, with the seat secured to the floor by one catch, there is literally no room to maneuver. There is no way to see underneath the seat, or direct any tools, or lubricant, or manually activate the (most likely) stretched cable.

Please, if someone can come back to me with a way to solve this issue I would be very grateful. I just want to release the faulty catch and get the seat up so I can repair the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Right, so I got out my tools and this is what I did.

(It's actually kind of important to be able to lift the rear seat since not being able to do so prevents servicing on the fuel pump/filter/float.)

Before I start, it seems that the rear seat release cable actually came loose from the fitting that attached it to the release handle, so it was activating only one release on the underseat. It seems the following procedure was necessary:

First I removed the four bolts at the front of the rear seat (12mm)

Then I tilted the seat back as far as I could and separated the (kind of ziplock) seal at the front of the seat cushion and then lifted the seat cushion as high as I could to see what was happening with the catch release mechanism. It turned out, as I mentioned earlier, one of the cables had broken loose from the handle end of the release assembly. I had to feel around to determine this since the cable end points toward the rear of the seat, and is behind the cable housing attachment (a thick steel plate).

I could get no tools in there, and the plastic end of the cable housing refused to budge from the cable housing attachment (if it had been able to come out then things would have been a lot easier, I could have just detached the cable housing, and then pulled the cable with my fingers to release the catch).

I figured that the whole assembly would need to be replaced (which turns out to be true) so I took a pair of bolt cutters to the cable housing and sheared through housing and cable inside, and pulled the cable to release the seat while a friend pulled the release handle so that the side that was still functional was activated, and the seat finally came loose from the floor of the chassis.

The entire process SHOULD have taken about 15-20 minutes if I knew what I was doing beforehand, but it took me about 90 minutes and some bruising before I realised I was using the wrong approach. (I skipped the blood-sweat and tears approach in my description. Not fun.)

Now I need to find a replacement rear seat floor catch release cable assembly and reinstall it in the seat. Ill call my local hyundai service department tomorrow, but it may make things easier and less fraught with peril if I can describe it accurately when I call.

Anyone know the part number, or the proper name for the assembly?

Incidentally, I don't want to go through this crap again, so I intend to also attach an emergency release cable.

As ETCG says, Have fun, stay dirty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear seat won't fold

Hi Galen,
Were you able to fix your problem at the end?
I'm having a similar problem. Getz 2004, the rear double seat is stuck in it's normal position, but it won't fold. The single seat folds normally, but for some reason the other is stuck.
There is a lever on the left side of the seat that were suppose to release the seat so it will fold, but it seems it got disconnected, so the seat won't go anywhere.
Any ideas on how to approach the problem?
Cheers,
Vlad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts