Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stopped in traffic and hit from behind by large moving van. Minor damage to rear bumper cover fixed by sanding and painting. The van had a massive timber protective front bumper aligning perfectly with my car effecting uniformly distributed and highly efficient energy transfer with minimal outward damage. My car has a trailer hitch installed. Was knocked 4-5 feet with brakes applied.

1) Might there be damage internal to the bumper? Is there some kind of shock absorbing system within? How do you verify that?

2) Once only in the week after accident, while driving 30mph, it suddenly felt like RR tire was flat. Pronounced noisy thumping and bouncing of that part of car. Slowed down to a stop with thumping remaining until stop. Looked over tire -- no visible problem -- and drove on with no symptoms!

Routine tire rotation (front to rear) a week after that. Nothing apparent then.

Then once only a week or so after that, exact same thing again. Same procedure, same result.

Nothing noticed subsequently by repair shop working on the bumper. What could this be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
1) There certainly is. I've replaced KC's rear bumper cover after a dumpster jumped in back and creased it.

2) Dunno; it sounds like something got damaged back there. Have you had a competent body shop check the rear suspension, etc.?

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
You were rear-ended by another car, so the fault is 100% the other driver's, and the one to pay ALL damages is the other driver's insurance company. Why not have ALL the necessary inspections, by the BEST professional in town? Why be skimpy? You deserve the best and the most thorough service, so that later you don't find there was more hidden damage caused to your car.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The worst thing you can do when hit from behind like that is assume that the superficial damage you see is all that needs to be repaired. If you got knocked that far forward from the impact there is a good chance the impact absorber, steel bumper and bumper mounts have all been damaged and need to be replaced. It sounds like there is other damage as well. As suggested, I would have a good body shop check out your car to see what is going on. I hope you took down all the info from the driver of the truck.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
The superficial damage is insignificant as to safety but the internal absorbing material MUST be replaced. Take it to a pro and get it fixed properly. I'd also consider getting a new one if the damage is significant. I would not keep a damaged vehicle if it requires major repairs. You can't simply slap on a new fender and go about your business. It might require specialized straightening equipment and frankly I don't want to take a chance with anyone's life. Have the insurance company total it if there is any question about it. They'll sell off the car for what the parts are worth anyway. I've seen vehicles totaled with 10 miles on the odometer with just a minor collision. It will have a salvage title which voids the warranty. Your life and your passenger's lives are not worth any vehicle's sentimental value.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts