Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, well I bought my accent in 2006 and it came with rear drum brakes and I want to know if it is possible to switch to rear disc brakes. I know that newer accents have all disc brakes so maybe it wont be that hard, but what do I need? anyone got an idea?. I dont have abs. I asked the dealer like a year ago and they told me they wont do it. I have seen this conversion before in other cars that did not have rear disc brakes in newer versions either.

·
3,735 Posts
Probably doable but man that's got to be a lot of work and/or hassle... I haven't driven an Accent with drums in the back for comparison, not sure how much braking ability you'll gain. I will say that the Accent with 4-wheel discs and ABS stops beautifully, I have nothing but praise for the way mine stops. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
364 Posts
i'm pretty sure the amount of work/labour $ and time wouldn't reap a huge benefit over your existing drums. IMO just stick with the rear drums, and put the $$ saved toward something that will allow to to have a noticeable gain in performance. I'm with hoosier, i've been nothing but impressed on my my car stops, even in extremely hairy situations, however i've never driven an accent with rear drums. All i know is there are people who dont 'believe' in ABS, and hyundai would have made sure the accent with drums and no abs brakes in the same distance as a 4 wheel disc abs accent.

- my 2c,
- matt.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It isnt that hard to do but you will need a few parts from the rear disc version. the spindle with rear hubs, calipers, rear brake lines or get some made, ebrake cables and rotors. maybe not the ebrake cables if they are the same but they probably arent. It is not a hard swap at all though. ive swapped tib rear disks onto plenty of older accents. nothing to it. onetwenty made a good point though. the benefits are next to nothing.
Im one of the ones that does not want abs on any of my vehicles. It is for people who dont know how to drive in the rain.

·
Registered
364 Posts
probably your best bet.
i'm planning on drill/slot rotors for spring.
i dont know if they're just for people who cant drive in rain, but if they stop joe speed from smashing into me, i'm all for them.

- matt.

·
3,735 Posts
I can drive in the rain even though I have ABS. :p Actually, the ABS rarely ever kicks in on mine when raining. Just drove home during an ice storm last night and they didn't kick in unless I intentionally braked hard. But nice to know they're there when needed, for me at least.

But yes, it all depends on personal preference... I'll never own another car without ABS, and next time around I'm even kicking it up a notch and demanding ESC.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
but off topic but i was driving an aveo in edmonton on the weekend and i wasnt paying attention to the stop light and there was a car stopped and i was doing 60. im quite sure i stopped that little car in about 10 meters. i didnt have abs and i didnt lock the brakes... me and my girl friend had really bad head aches for an hour from the blood rushing through our heads. disc breaks only in the front drums in the rear. just goes to show that little cars dont exactly need disc all around. but man are they sexy

·
Registered
72 Posts
My 2008 Accent SE came with rear drums and ABS...

I thought the SE's came with 4 wheel discs, but checking on the mothership's website shows ONLY ABS offered. Dammit!

·
3,735 Posts
Even the cheapest 2006 you could get came with 4 wheel disc/ABS standard, that was one of the things that drew me to the car. That was a nice surprise considering the class of car. I'm glad I bought the '06 since Hyundai's generosity was short lived... For '07 they started putting drums on the back and ditched the standard ABS, moving it to the options list. I think they still had discs on the back for '07 if you had ABS. For '08 they did further decontenting, and no more discs. :(

That's what happens when you get the bean counters involved. :grin: They figure the majority of the buyers just want their Accents to stop and don't care about the hardware that makes that happen, so they take the most cost effective route. They have to save money somewhere, they profit margins are pretty much nonexistant when building and selling these little cars. Bummer.

Of course, drums aren't all that bad... simple design. I've pushed cars over 100,000 miles without having to touch the back brakes. Not sure what kind of life I should expect out of the rear pads and rotors. I still prefer the discs though.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
for maintence disc are so much easier, and asthetics much easier on the eyes, the front brakes do 70% of the braking so they are more important but for those that so more spirited driving, and racing rear disc would be the way to go

as far as the swap if you have all the parts its a very easy straight forward swap( have done several in the past on other makes of cars) it is some thing i will put on my wish list of things to do

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by TOOSLO@Feb 25 2008, 09:01 AM
for maintence disc are so much easier, and asthetics much easier on the eyes, the front brakes do 70% of the braking so they are more important but for those that so more spirited driving, and racing rear disc would be  the way to go

as far as the swap if you have all the parts its a very easy straight forward swap( have done several in the past on other makes of cars) it is some thing i will put on my wish list of things to do
[snapback]139250[/snapback]​

Thanks for making me want it again! :p

·
Registered
515 Posts
I actually found out when I bought my '08 accent SE that ONLY the '07 SE models came with all around disc brakes AND 220 watt 6 CD changer option. Then when the '08 model came out I guess Hyundai thought the Accents weren't selling enough to warrant the extra power in the disc brakes and stereo soo they stayed with the stock 172 watt single CD and front disc.... and added the rear passenger arm rest and tire pressure monitor system and the B&W shifter.... go figure...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Originally posted by Sleeper@Mar 1 2008, 09:38 PM
I actually found out when I bought my '08 accent SE that ONLY the '07 SE models came with all around disc brakes AND 220 watt 6 CD changer option. Then when the '08 model came out I guess Hyundai thought the Accents weren't selling enough to warrant the extra power in the disc brakes and stereo soo they stayed with the stock 172 watt single CD and front disc.... and added the rear passenger arm rest and tire pressure monitor system and the B&W shifter.... go figure...
[snapback]140416[/snapback]​

they need to add cruise control!!...hehe
so just need to find a wrecked se and take off all the parts ......

·
Registered
346 Posts
Originally posted by TOOSLO@Feb 25 2008, 11:01 AM
for maintence disc are so much easier, and asthetics much easier on the eyes, the front brakes do 70% of the braking so they are more important but for those that so more spirited driving, and racing rear disc would be  the way to go

[snapback]139250[/snapback]​

Ive done this on my MX3 at one point...much more pleasing to the eyes...

so...yeah...Im gonna do this...

but anyone know where to start lookin?

Hyundai...too expensive!

Any part compatibility with another model/year?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Most def.

I havent got the rims I wanted yet...
but before I do...Im definately gotta swap those rear drums out.
If I can find the compatible part(s) Ill prob have it done like in Mid July.
I think Hyundai has it...but Im not gonna pay $400+

Guess its time for a lil investigating

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well guys after a few weeks of waiting "patiently"
I finally get a box that weighed a couple good pounds today!

They are my rear disc brakes hubs and all...with additional brake lines!!!!

But guess what?

They didnt come from a 2006 Hyundai Accent in Canada...like I expected.

I kinda noticed when the size and rotors looked a little funky.
Upon looking a little more...
and not noticing anything Hyundai on the calipers
After a little investigating...I was sent some Honda Civic Rear Brake parts

Upon calling in and nicely "complaining" :devil: the story I got was

"Sorry, for the mistake...those cars look alike from the start!"

So after all this time...no rear disc conversion for me...at the moment.

Guess I just have to work on my projectors, Purple LED swap, and Dual Gauge Pillars for now

1 - 20 of 93 Posts