Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with removing the rear drums on a 2000 Elantra. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but I have done rear brakes in the past (Ford and Chevy's). I did the front discs with no problem, but for the life of me I can't get the rear drums off. There is a screw on the front of the drum, between two of the studs, that I can't get to budge even after using a lot of liquid wrench. And there is another treaded hole with no screw in it. It's the same on both drums. I don't know if these screws even have to come out or if I'm just not doing something right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Rawhead

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have probably figured it out by now, but just unscrew the screw from the drum, pop the drum off with screw driver and start popping off springs. I am having a problem with a clicking noise once I changed my rear brakes and can't for the life of me figure it out.

Originally posted by Rawhead@Aug 3 2004, 11:08 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with removing the rear drums on a 2000 Elantra. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but I have done rear brakes in the past (Ford and Chevy's). I did the front discs with no problem, but for the life of me I can't get the rear drums off. There is a screw on the front of the drum, between two of the studs, that I can't get to budge even after using a lot of liquid wrench. And there is another treaded hole with no screw in it. It's the same on both drums. I don't know if these screws even have to come out or if I'm just not doing something right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
                                                                                            Rawhead
[snapback]666[/snapback]​

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just looked at the original date (Aug 3) - So I assume that the question has been answered long ago.

For anyone else interested - According to Hyundai Parts On Line, the rear wheel bearing nut has to come off before the rear drum will come loose.

Check out https://dcsonline.hyundaidealer.com/customer/index.jsp - you'll see a security warning or two because you are entering a secure site.

Click on "technical info"

Select the model and year and then click on "shop" and follow menus under "brake systems"

This site also provides complete diagrams and torque specs as well.

·
Registered
422 Posts
To crack that screwloose you will either require an impact driver, or quite simply, strike the screw directly with a hammer, then hold the drum, easier with the handbrake on, then crack the screw with screwdriver, once screw is out, release handbrake, strike the drum with a hammer on the flat surface and this should pop off.
You may also be required to lightly sand away the rush that will have formed between your drum and the hub.
Good luck.

·
Registered
626 Posts
To remove the brake drums you need to first remove the one cross-head screw using an impact driver as previously suggested. Then you screw hardened M10 bolts into the two threaded holes (one gets exposed after removing the screw and the other is opposite). Wind in the bolts to extract the hub. If its tight, whack it with a copper mallet on the front and sides to break the rust away; careful not to split the drum !

There is no need to remove the hub or hub nut to remove the brake drums. Before refitting, smear the hub face with anti-seize so that the drum will be easier to remove next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts