Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Accent Gs Hatchback. I was curious how to inspect the rear drum brake shoes. Do I need to remove the Drum ? Or is there a viewing port on the backing plate ?:confused: Thanks

·
Registered
426 Posts
Generally it is best to remove the drum. You then have a clear view of the all the brake components. Park on a level spot. Block the front tires of your vehicle and leave the emergency brake off. Loosen the lug nuts on one rear tire and jack up that side. Remove the lug nuts, tire and drum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

thank you , I was curious because VW Beetles have 2 removable rubber plugs that allows you to see the shoe wear. Maybe I should suggest this to Hyundai.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The rear drum brakes tend to last longer than the front disc brakes, due to the transfer of weight to the front tires during braking. I usually check the front and rear brakes when I rotate the tires. On my Honda Accord with 228K miles, I have replaced the front disc pads 2 times, while I am still on my original rear drum brakes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think in the old days on some cars they had a long slot on the back plate covered with a rubber plug for looking at the thickness of the shoe linings.
I need to check my drums brakes on the 2014 Accent GLS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts