Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the usual issue of the rear parking brake constantly slipping. The annoying thing is, I can’t get the rear drum off to expose the adjuster, plus, I can’t find a manual anywhere that details down the set up inside - at the moment, if I apply anymore force to the drum, I’m sure it will damage something on the show set up.

My main question, is there any steps that have to be followed to ensure the brake engages correctly? At the moment, the brake starts applying pressure on two clicks of the handbrake, yet, by click 4/5 it is still slipping........

Can’t anyone help?

·
Registered
243 Posts
With the vehicle raised and the rear wheel\tire off you need to try to adjust the star wheel through the hole in the drum. Rotate it as loose as possible and then try to pull the drum off.

When I first did this on my vehicle a few years ago, there was a lot of rust and the drum had a ring of rust around the inside that refused to come off over the parking brake shoes and after a lot of force it eventually came off but it pulled one of the brake shoe retaining pins through the backing plate. So when I reassembled everything I had to use a washer on the back of the backing plate to keep the retaining pin in place.

There is a "seperator" in there that moves the shoes when you apply the parking brake and I would guess that that seperator is stuck and needs to be cleaned up and made usable again.

I attached a few pictures from a 2010 3.5L manual that I had. Hopefully its the same as your 2.2, but I am not sure that it is.

When I did mine I had to replace the parking brake shoes and the hold down kit - bought both from RockAuto.com. Every Spring I take it all apart to clean\adjust it and doing that annual service has kept everything in good working order for me.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant, thanks for this. Going to order a overhaul kit and tackle this again on The weekend.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts