Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an AWD 2009 GLS with 160k miles. Seems like the awd coupler in the back is going out. I get an occasional clunk when accelerating that certainly seems to be coming from the rear. It almost feels like something tugging on the rear axle. Based on numerous posts on the forum it seems like the coupler is the cause of this. I see that it is quite an expensive repair, and I am not sure I want to throw that kind of money at a vehicle with that many miles.

I read a post about someone who removed the rear axle and just drove it as fwd only. I don't need AWD, so that sounded like a decent plan to me. Is there any large drawback to doing this? I can't picture any negative impact it will have on the vehicle besides of course not having AWD.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Aside from the possibility you might get warning lights because an expected connection no longer exists, it will probably work. I'm not sure how much your stability control, traction control, and antilock brakes might like it, though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ruebenswinks:

I watched a YouTube video on just this situation on an AWD Kia Sportage.

Video comes in two parts:

Check them out. Might be helpful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aside from the possibility you might get warning lights because an expected connection no longer exists, it will probably work. I'm not sure how much your stability control, traction control, and antilock brakes might like it, though.
I guess this was part of what I was trying to figure out. I couldn't think of how those sensors would know that no power is being transmitted though. I thought most of that is controlled through the abs wheel speed sensors. Those should be unaffected by driveshaft removal as they are on the cv axles in the rear which obviously will still be turning.

Guess best way to find out might just be to pop it off and see what happens.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ruebenswinks:

I watched a YouTube video on just this situation on an AWD Kia Sportage.

Check them out. Might be helpful.
I had seen those videos before. Interesting to watch. He does give the customer the car back without the driveshaft...so must not be that big of a deal. It doesn't seem like the same issue I'm having though. It almost seems like my awd is engaging and disengaging when it shouldn't be, causing a clunk. I have no groaning/grinding noises in the diff. It is only noticeable when accelerating, but it can seem to happen at any speed. I've felt it when accelerating at 60mph.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts