Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2017 elantra rear passenger door would not open ftom the outside or inside. Here was the fix. Take a small thin pry tool and pry up on the manual lock and pop it out. Mine did not break it just popped out. On yop of door handle you will see a pin. Pull the pin up and out and the door handle will come out. Look inside the and you will see the handle cable. Pull with a pair of needle nose plyers and it will unlock the door. As long as you dont auto lock the door you can open the from the outside. If you auto lock you will have to pull on the cable again to unlock. Then remove your door panel. Remove one screw down inside in the arm rest. Then remove the door panel. Unplug the lower plug and your panel is off. To this point took me 20 minutes. Now the problem with door not unlocking was the actuator. It is located at the end of door where it latches. You will have to remove the inside panel to get to that. Remove and replace. Then install everything back. You take the entire latch housing off (5 screws) to put the manual lock and door latch back in place before you put the panel back on. About an hour and a half for the entire process. Got the new actuator on Ebay for 130.00. Dealer cost for the job will run atound 1200.00. It wasnt hard to do and look what you will save. The dealer actually told me it would take 3 hours just to get the door open. I can tell you that wasnt true.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Automotive companies feel we are too stupid to lock our doors when we feel the need to do so, so are automatic and lock and unlock so many times when they really don't have to, to wear themselves out.

Have repaired these myself, simple brush DC motor, polarity reversible driving a pinion geared to a rack. High failure rate is also contributed to the excitation voltage lasting too long. Motor stalls, no BEMF and the current skyrockets burning up the commutator and the brush.

Certainly under five years, are you over 50K miles? Should be replaced under warranty.

One nasty thing I have noticed about the Hyundai, their replacement parts list is way out of line compared to other automotive manufactures, like 3000 bucks for my radio! You have to be joking, touch screens are next to nothing, heck of a lot of cheaper than switches, only only a few IC's inside.

GM touch tune radio loaded with motors variable inductors, vacuum tubes, took a strong man and a boy to carry it was only 60 bucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We travel alot its got 82k. But at 10k the front passenger did the same thing and they did it under warranty. I think the most dissapointing thing was the service manager telling me it would take about 3 hrs to get the door open. I am pretty sure they would have gotten it open the same way I did.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Strange when us dumb customers know more about our vehicles than the dealer. Some of us well over 65 years of age have a lot more time than money. Would be a multimillionaire is my FICA taxes went into a private fund, as it is, barely getting the interest.

See ebay is selling good used door actuators for $35.00, this place brand new for 70.

Question I always have is what's wrong with the original one, loose electrical connection? Now if that little motor is toast, that's a different story or a plastic gear melted.

Thanks for the tip on how to open the door, was a thread on this awhile ago without a solution, makes these boards worthwhile.

·
Registered
776 Posts
It sounds like the Elantra's rear door inner panel is more straightforward to remove than the Tucson's front door panel. I tried to replace the actuator on my daughter's 2016 Tucson, passenger front door. Once I got the door panel off, and removed the speaker, and just about everything else that would appear to keep it in place, I still couldn't get to the actuator! Even after looking at YouTube videos and other sources, I couldn't figure out how to get that inner door panel off. Ended up surrendering the rest of the job to the dealership. Cost a few hundred in labor.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Ha, was tempted to pop off that lock knob, but yelled at myself, it ain't broke so don't try to fix it.

Guy on youtube pulled off the door panel on an earlier Elantra, lower seat cushion first, manged to pull out the weather strip, then the inner door panel. This won't work on the 2017 good piece of the door panel is between the door and the body panel, least four inches.

May be possible on a front door.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Door actuators are a problem area on this car but as far as I know only problem area. I have changed 3 of 4 so far. BTW the front ones are under $70. Rears are more as mentioned above

1 - 9 of 9 Posts