Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, started off a new thread on this as I didn't want it to get bogged down in the other thread about sticking rear pads.

Anyway, our 1.2 Premium model, now 3 years old and with 21,000 miles on the clock, went in to the Hyundai dealership where we bought the car, for it's third and final pre-paid service today and its very first MoT test (road safety test for those unfamiliar with UK terminology).

Within 1 hour of dropping the car off, a video of the inspection was sent to us and it was interesting that they made a point of showing us the rear discs which were quite heavily scored on the inside. They were scored on the outer face too and it did cause me some concern prior to taking the car into the dealership because I thought if the car was going to fail the MoT, then the rear discs were going to be the likely culprit.

The car, despite the scoring on the rear discs, passed the MoT with an advisory about, yup you guessed it, the rear discs being scored. The dealership phoned us up to tell us the car had passed the MoT, which cost £40, but then went on a total sales pitch trying to flog us fuel system cleaner, aircon service etc, but rather surprisingly, they didn't mention about the rear discs, a sure money making opportunity if ever there was one. We declined all of the extras, paid the MoT and walked away.

So Wife drove home and I drove straight to a well known national car parts supplier and purchased a pair of rear Pagid discs and pads, total cost, £63. Arrived home and out came the trolley jack, cordless impact wrench and wheel off in under 5 minutes. Socket set out, caliper off. Disc securing screws stuck solid. MAP gas torch out, 2 minutes of heat, screw out undamaged, disc off. Factory fitted discs very badly scored and corroded, pads not too badly worn, but still scoring visible.

With the nearside rear disc off, everything cleaned up, new Pagid disc on, securing screw in, no issues. Opened brake pad box, O M G !!!!! completely the wrong pads! Arrgghhh! Back to car parts place and they are completely baffled. Computer says they are correct, me take old pads with me and show them and mark one eyeball says computer WRONG! Nothing they can do except refund me the cost of the pads as said National car parts supplier doesn't have any alternative. Me very, very fed up!

So I drive away and go the my local they do everything auto factors. Bloke behind counter listens to my sad tale, walks out the back and 30 seconds later plonks a box on the counter, breaks seal, opens box and hey presto, they are the correct pads, albeit for a Kia Soul 1.6 CRDi, but still they are the correct pads.

Pays my £18 and goes home and finishes the job, total cost £60, incidentally, about the same cost as the price of just one genuine Hyundai disc, and that is why I won't buy genuine Hyundai discs and pads!
Anyway, all is now well, new MoT, new discs and pads on all four corners because I replaced the front discs and pads just a month ago.

If anyone is interested, the part number for the rear discs, Pagid 55916 and the rear pads, Comline CBP32161. There are of course alternative part numbers and brands available. If you intend doing this job yourself, there are two types of braking system on this vehicle, Mando, which is what ours is fitted with, or Akebono. You must do your research first, but as my experience turned out, it doesn't necessarily matter a jot what the car parts suppliers tell you, they don't always get it right.

*EDIT*
It would appear from my own further research, that although the rear caliper system is Mando, the brake pads seemingly are for the Akebono system. Now that is confusing!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you for the info frupi I had a battle with Hyundai UK about the rear brakes and they refused to do anything (I was not surprised) but thought it worth a try. My guess is that it's a known problem they try to avoid discussing with customers to avoid discussion and expense.Recently I changed dealer and the new guys in Warrington are a breath of fresh air great service and not at all like other Hyundai dealers was considering a Kona but still have nagging doubts about Hyundai UK attitude to customers.So based on your experience off to buy some discs and pads---thanks.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rexi10, no problem,
Be aware though, if you do the job yourself, the disc retaining screws are made of cheese, in short, they are absolutely crap. I had to use MAP gas to heat them up to unscrew them. I'm going to buy some stainless steel retaining screws to replace the factory ones.
The actual job itself is very easy if you have the tools and obvious mechanical competence and common sense.
Now that our 3rd pre-paid service is over, I'll be looking elsewhere next year. I have six Hyundai dealerships within 30 miles of where I live, so I'll just shop around next year and if they don't come back with a sensible price, I'll do the service myself. I'm just mindful that we'll probably have this car for a considerable period of time, so I don't want to do anything that would shut down the 5 year warranty if I can help it. Brake discs and pads don't even come into it, they're consumable items.
As for the new rear discs and pads, well we've already seen the benefits. The car now holds perfectly on the steepest hill nearby and the hill holder function works absolutely perfectly. I only have to touch the brake pedal with the handbrake fully off and the car holds firm long enough to select first gear and drive off. I can only say, that as far as I'm concerned, the new Pagid discs all round and the new pads, Pagid on the front and Comline pads on the rear, are a huge improvement over the factory fitted effort.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would book fourth service online through Hyundai website. I know the fourth one will be expensive I think it involves fluid changes as well, but the fifth at the end of the warranty period could be the time to opt out. To keep service history up the essentials servicing for out of warranty cars https://www.hyundai.co.uk/owning/service#esensetials_servicing looks okay, but it does say with participating dealers. The problems I see with DIY servicing is not getting latest updates on software, discovered problem areas and some fallback position if there is an accident and you can prove your car is maintained to proper standard. Having said that if one keeps the car till the end of it's life a packet could be saved in the possibly seven years after warranty expires.

Reactions: Longshot

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've decided I'm going to service the car myself next year. To be honest, I've now done the brake discs and pads all round so I won't have to worry about those for a while. I also today, finally got around to replacing the brake disc retaining screws with stainless steel ones. There are two screws on each front disc and one on each rear disc:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-Hyun...511499?hash=item4b499c0f4b:g:feEAAOSwhFla4iQk

As far as I am aware, there were no software updates on the 3rd service and no recall work either. To be honest, it appears very little was done on the service, just an oil and filter change and bodywork inspection. They didn't even replace the pollen filter which is now looking a bit filthy, so I bought a new one today off Amazon for half the price of a genuine Hyundai filter. I'm a Prime customer, so next day delivery is included:

[ame]https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAPCO-Filter-interior-air-65471/dp/B00BBVDFMM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531044662&sr=8-3&keywords=9713307010[/ame]

It quite literally takes about 45 seconds to change the pollen filter, drop the glove box squeezing in at the sides to fully drop it down, unclip the plastic retainer and pull out the pollen filter. In comparison, it used to take me an entire 40 minutes to swap out the pollen filter on a right hand drive Fiat 500 because the pedals and steering column made access to it too stupid for words.

I really quite like the i10, it's a bit of a doddle of a car to work on to be honest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts