Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Think it was March that the first lot of diff oil was changed for new and the additive. After a month not quite so bad so our dealer changed it again and since then fine. No more shudder.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also have the dreaded rear diff shudder !!

I have purchased Castrol LSX SAE 90 for Limited slip diffs. This oil already contains friction modifiers.

Do I still have to get the special Hyundai additive ???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Terracan diff shudder ????

I have a Highlander auto which is constant 4WD and I had this fault, mainly when slowly creeping into a parking spot or when reversing the back wheels were seen to hop. Well everyone said DIFF - special oils - additives, I tried all, THEN I found MY fault. No where in the service schedule is there a call for TRANSFER BOX Fluid change, yes for Trans fluid, I drained the fluid which was black, refilled with Dextro III, expecting to have to do some figure 8's to get it in etc, NO, reversed out the shop, no hopping, drove forward slow in tight turns with no shudder. I have done about 7,000 kms since this without any shudder again. I did the change at about 130,000 kms, I bought the vehicle second hand but suspect this would have been the first transfer box fluid change. Takes less than 1 litre so it's dirt cheap so do it anyway.
22 Decemeber 2011

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Everyone, can u help me with the Electrical diagram manual for 2001 Terracan, if u can uploaded it or send me a link where i can download it for free.
Mainly i need the Elect circuit diagram for the ECM(Electronic Control Module)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also have the dreaded rear diff shudder !!

I have purchased Castrol LSX SAE 90 for Limited slip diffs. This oil already contains friction modifiers.

Do I still have to get the special Hyundai additive ???
...be careful with additives / friction modifiers ... the quality, full synthetic diff oils should have already the correct amount of friction modifiers (unfortunately there is no common international standard for this friction modifiers) ... if you overdose, the shutter might go, but you also might end up with an open diff...

IMO this so called diff shutter could also be caused by neglected greasing of the uni joints and especially the slip joint of the rear propeller shaft. Without regularly greasing the slip joint will seize and won't facilitate the accomodation of the suspension travel anymore... the result is tension and diff shudder... and finally it will indeed destroy the LSD...

·
Registered
20 Posts
crawled below the terracan this morning again, to look at the rear diff, it was leaking around the drive shaft seal. but someone here said that sometimes the diff breather pipe could cause the seal to leak if it was blocked, and as i pulled the vent pipe off there was a hissing noise coming form the diff pipe, it lasted for about 2-3 seconds. and the jeep had only done 6 miles yesterday and had sat all night, so i think that the blocked vent pipe was the problem,
i also got some grease into the drive shafts, they almost made it deliberately had to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Diff oil and additive

New diffs with Mobil LS85-90 and Red line LSD additive seem to work
Hi - I've just bought a 2005 Terracan which has a slight groan/shudder when warm, and and going to change the diff oil and put in the additive as suggested. I've found the Redline lsd additive online but can't locate the oil which was mentioned above - has it been renamed, or is there a currently available alternative that is recommended? Thanks, Jon

X

·
0 Posts
It may sound irrelevant, but have you guys ensured that the correct lube is in the transfer case? In my car (05 2.9 16v) it should be ATF, I suffered with judder, it has no LSD! The oil in the trannie case was 75W/90! which means that the valves in the TC stick and feed some motion to all four wheels especially when it is cold outside! I changed the oil (twice) after checking with Hyundai and my owners manual. It runs smooth as silk now. It would seem that some assembly techs do not know the difference between a trannie case and a gearbox!

X

·
0 Posts
Diff oil

Hi - I've just bought a 2005 Terracan which has a slight groan/shudder when warm, and and going to change the diff oil and put in the additive as suggested. I've found the Redline lsd additive online but can't locate the oil which was mentioned above - has it been renamed, or is there a currently available alternative that is recommended? Thanks, Jon
Jon,
The redline diff oil is worth investing in to go with the additive you are about to use if you can afford it, I use it in my competition 4x4 builds. Great oil!

·
Registered
98 Posts
if you want a functional LSD be careful with additives / friction modifiers... quality LSD oils already have the right amount of friction modifiers in it ... you add more and the LSD won't help you much off-road...

·
Registered
98 Posts
It may sound irrelevant, but have you guys ensured that the correct lube is in the transfer case? In my car (05 2.9 16v) it should be ATF, I suffered with judder, it has no LSD! The oil in the trannie case was 75W/90! which means that the valves in the TC stick and feed some motion to all four wheels especially when it is cold outside! I changed the oil (twice) after checking with Hyundai and my owners manual. It runs smooth as silk now. It would seem that some assembly techs do not know the difference between a trannie case and a gearbox!
obviously a big no no filling anything else than ATF into the transfer case ... but how did you know that it was 75W/90?????

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had this sagga of "Diff Shudder" going in and out of parking places and of course went through all the diff oil stories, well by chance, I changed the transfer box oil, this is not listed in any of the the "Services" and is not easy to find. Above the rear of the transmission is a large harmonic balance block, just above and behind that is the transfer filler plug. It takes only 0.9 litre Dextron II fluid so is in-expensive, worth doing BEFORE expensive diff jobs. The result was immediate, no more shudder

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Terry is the part time 4-bie with the LSD in the rear. I have had 3 diff replacements all due to the shudder occuring around 12,000 klm's each. The first was a result of the dealership changing the oil and not referring to Hyundai tech bulletin and using the specified Mobilube LS85W90. The second is a mystery but I believe that it is a consequence of poor workmanship and penny pinching by the dealership.
I have been told by a diff professional that the diffs in the terry are a poor design using old technology. The shudder occurs because of impropoer oil being used that allows the coating on the disks in the diff to wear off and infuse the oil which in turn coats the disks. This causes the disks coating to become 'sticky' or 'rough' and hence the shudder you feel at slow speeds. All it is doing is having a greater friction force in its attempt to stop the different turning speeds of the rear wheels as you do a slow turn (great advantage when sand driving!). One of the mechanics that was given the task of changing the oil in my first diff brought me a bottle of the oil he removed. It was completely black. I asked what coulour it should be and he said sort of like dark honey.
There is a kind of fix that I adoped and it involves changing the oil (with the right stuff) then drive to a shopping centre car park when it is empty and do many tight figure eight turns in both directions. What this is apparently doing is using the new clean oil to clean the disks of the 'sticky' and 'rough' stuff. You do as many as you like but take care you don't go too fast as it is a wild ride!! In my case the shudder was still present after I returned home but a few days latter I noticed there was no shudder. At this time it is wise to change the oil again. This might help some.
If the third diff suffers from the shudder I will (a)replace the oil and do the 8's or (b) replace it with an ARB diff locker!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar problem with my 2007 Hyundai Terracan (2.5 turbodiesel). Loud humming coming from it. Have to replace it. Anyone know how the dealer in Panama handles this? Would be pleasantly shocked if dealer will replace as part of after service (?). Appreciate any help. Also, as fallback, looking for replacement differential... where can i find it? Thank you
Email: LDykler at forefront.ca

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey there ldykler you could try ARB here in Australia and get one of their great diff lockers. This is the entire diff centre that you use to replace the existing one. The beauty of this diff is that it is what is called 'open' (like a normal car) but when the going gets tough you have the option of locking it and thus drive is the same to both wheels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I'm thinking of buying an 07 limited with 80k on the clock. I was out on a test run and was sitting in the rear seat. I could feel a judder from the rear of the vehicle as we were driving along. Is this likely to be linked to the diff problem? Also the car pulled to the left. Car is in lovely condition but the diff problem scares me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had a shudder on my terry ,the hand brake adjuster was too tight, let it off a couple of clicks, no more shudder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The dreaded shudder but with the back end stepping out too

Hi guys I have a terracan 2.9 diesel and have been experiencing the diff shudder' but I also find on right hand turns the back end sliding out!! It feels very unstable! Have any of you guys had this same issue and if so is it linked to the shuddering?

Thanks Brian

21 - 40 of 40 Posts