Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear Differential Shudder - Rectification</span>

It has come to the attention of very many Terracan owners that a shudder from the rear differential occurs at low speeds with the steering wheel slightly off centre.

This problem has been caused by the ongoing abnormal wear in the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) unit due to incorrect lubrication of the LSD componentry.

In order to rectify this situation I suggest strongly that you do the following:

Return your vehicle to your preffered or local dealer. Aware them of your on-going problem with the rear differential.
If they say that they cannot rectify, or they find nothing wrong with the rear differential, then provide them with this information.

The rear differential fluid is to be that only of LS-90 grade, if they have acces to Genuine LS-90 fluid then insist on it's use. However any LS-90 fluid will be sufficient as the grade is not exclusive to Hyundai.

The additive that must be used in conjunction with the LS-90 however, is exclusive to Hyundai and the part no. is:

<span style=\'color:red\'>53410 - 4AQ70

The additive may take a while to get to your dealership if they are unaware of it's existence, but be assured it does exist.

The reasoning behind taking your vehicle back to your local or preffered dealer is it is now up to you to demand the installation of a new differential along with the new oil and additive.

Once this has been carried out, the vehicle must be driven in a "figure of eight" manner until the noise has demished completely.
This action works the additive into the LSD to ensure that the LSD is efficiently lubricated and treated.

Good luck "King of the Land" owners!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the advice
My April 05 Terracan 2.9CRDi has been suffering from this problem after only 4700 miles.
On reading your article and then contacting Hyundai UK technical, local dealer has ordered new diff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi guys my third diff is now quiet (see my seperate post) Scottish dealers have no knowledge of the above mentioned additive but the new oil did the trick eventually, but sadly they cannot offer an explanation why????? fingers crossed it stays that way.

Do Terracans still get supplied with the old oil as standard and are Hyundai looking into these diff problems????? I ask as I would like another one to replace mine in about a year but not with a suspect diff.

cheers Hammy

·
Registered
12 Posts
April 05 Terracan 6400moles
My Diff was replaced a few weeks ago by my local Scottish dealer, so far so good

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi
Basically what is happening is that the LSD plates get sticky with metal particles that gets into them when the oil gets dirty. The oil should be replaced after 10,000 miles and every 20000 after that. LSD 80-90 oil is the stuff to use.
Problem is that all the metal particles get trapped in the sludge which is left in there when you change the oil. Somehow the diff needs to be completely cleaned every time the diff oil is changed.
The additive is not recognised in the UK :w00t:
I would use the Subaru or Jeep LSD additive
The quickest I have changed a diff is 75 minutes, I have changed a few diffs lately :thumbsup:

The Terracan will dissapear soon as the seven seater Santa FE will be top dog. Also the 4X4 market is flooded and very competitive although I like the Terracan especially with the auto box

·
Registered
3 Posts
hyundai uk have recently started testing the "additive" and have agreed to put it in some cars to try and and cure diff shudder, they are nolonger replacing diffs for this problem unless they are shown to be faulty. watch and wait to see if this works!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all

I wish I had see this earlier

I have a 2006 terracan and for the last 4 months its had this shudder since 9000 miles

I am waiting on word to get the diff changed out by the frachise and we will see what happens then!

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my Terracan to my local dealer as it suffers from the juddering and their response is that they have never heard of this problem but that it's supposed to do that in 4 wheel drive and that you shouldn't ever use it in 4x4 mode!! They also said that the Terracan doesn't have a limited slip differential and the juddering is caused by the fact that in 4x4 mode, power goes to all 4 wheels irrespective of conditions. I asked why this is not pointed out in brochures or by salesmen and the comment was ""THAT'S SALESMEN FOR YOU". I've asked them to contact Hyundai on this issue and await the response.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:460: I have a 2005 Terracan which has 2 lots of additive (still shudders) change of oil
(still shudders) it is a auto last response from dealer is we cant find anything, drove home approx 4 km shudder happened ist set of traffic lights have emailed vic service have a reply they will get history and contact dealer

Regards
Stirrer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have now had the additive in the rear diff and was advised that it wouldn't really have much effect for the first 300 miles. Have now covered in excess of 700 miles and there has been no effect. Dealer now awaiting approval from Hyundai UK to fit a new diff with the fluid added before it is fitted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Latest news from my dealer is that there are no new diffs available in the UK and they don't know when any will become available. Looks like the entire UK stock has been used up replacing faulty ones. Think it's time I went back to Subaru.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a point why cant they "back order" a diff from the factory this will take a several weeks as did the parts to fix my Terracan following my recent accident.

I also have had the additive in for 2000 miles now with no effect, I am hoping that some heavy towing for 1500 miles will cure my diff as it did on my previous Terracan, will keep you posted.

cheers Hammy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have now had new diff fitted and the problem remains. Took the car to the dealer one lunchtime and the service manager was not happy as he had to stop eating his sandwich to come outside and try it! No mention of the fact that I gave up my lunch time to take the car to him. He says the judder is caused by using 4x4 mode on dry surfaces and there's nothing else he can do. The car MUST be used in 2 wheel drive mode unless you are on ice or mud. I pointed out that Hyundai don't tell you this in the sales material but he claims it's in the handbook (which you don't get until you have bought the car!!). So I have ended up with what I thought was a 4x4 but is in fact a rear wheel drive car. I now intend to get rid of it and go back to a Subaru Forester which is permanent 4x4 via a viscous coupling.
Is he correct in saying that, in 4x4 mode on a dry surface, the shuddering from the rear differential, when turning, is normal because it's designed to do that????

·
Registered
12 Posts
Recently bought an 07 Terracan Limited Edition from our local dealer. It was the demo model first registered in March 07. After 5000 or so miles we got the shudder when reversing. Now it is forward or reversing at slow speeds. Going into our local dealer next Wednesday. So hope they do a proper repair on it and not just add the additive. :unsure:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not a happy bunny. Hubby took a day off work to take it in and all they did was confirm it was the diff. No special lubricant in stock so on order and the Terracan goes back the beginning of October. :( :( :(

At this stage not going to change the diff unless the problem is still there after adding the lubricant and only if Hyundai agree. :( :( :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Took the Terracan in at the beginning of the week and guess what NO oil & additive. Grrrrrr

Phone call earlier today and still no oil & additive came in with their order from Hyundai. :eek:

The shudder is getting worse when reversing and starting off and we now have vibration from the wheels when we are driving normally. Not a happy bunny. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Still waiting to hear from our Dealer that they have the oil/lubricant. Six weeks and nothing happening.

Don't Hyundai U.K. have any??????????????? :puzzled:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reported the 'groaning' from the transmission at start about a year ago for my '04 auto terracan. Had to wait whilst Hyundai developed the fix and had the diff oil changed to the newer specification in April '07.

Contrary it seems to most others, my car has been fine since (approx 8000 miles), although is now developing a transmission whine at 70 to 80 mph, which may or may not be related, but the shuddering at pulling away from rest is definitely fixed (for now anyway) and did not need a new diff fitted!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts