Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G`day all. I am about to replace rear diff pinion seal, are there any pitfalls or warnings tom do this myself, regards Slimbo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi mate dont want to scare you but had mine done under warranty,£1082.00 got them to pay after i said i would take them to court if they dont pay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cant see why replacing an Oil Seal should cost so much.
Mine has just gone, hopefully having it replaced next Wednesday by an Independent Garage.
Don't know how much yet, but if they quote anywhere near a £1000 I will do it myself.
Looking at the manual it looks a straightforward job, shouldn't take more than an hour.

'Slimbo 1942' did you have any problems?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (Caravanman @ Apr 29 2011, 03:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=437642
Cant see why replacing an Oil Seal should cost so much.
Mine has just gone, hopefully having it replaced next Wednesday by an Independent Garage.
Don't know how much yet, but if they quote anywhere near a £1000 I will do it myself.
Looking at the manual it looks a straightforward job, shouldn't take more than an hour.

'Slimbo 1942' did you have any problems?
G`day Caravanman, no I hav`nt replaced seal yet. Have had operation on my left hand 3 months ago and are having problems with it. Hope to be back in action soon and replace it then, can`t see it being a big job, cant see how a mechanic would be able to charge that much for a 1 hour job. regards Slimbo1942

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone got a diagram of the 2.9 'Differential Carrier Assembly' my manual only has the 2.5 Diesel & 3.5 Petrol diagram.
There seems to be some question as to weather the 2.9 diff uses a 'Collapsible Spacer' or not. One Hyundai garage says yes another garage says no ?
Apparently it makes a big difference to changing the pinion oil seal.
Anyone help?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quick update if anyone is interested.

Had the Seal replaced last week. I got them to Torque the Pinion nut to 130/135ftlb, diff sounds OK.
The leak has slowed down but not stopped (the garage never thought to check the Flange for wear).
So we have now ordered a 'Flange Companion' (about £66) and a new 'Lock Nut' (£10).
I'm hoping it wont affect the balance of the drive shaft.

Slimbo1942, if your flange is worn someone on the Austrailian Hyundai Forum says that CBC Bearings do a sleeve and oil seal (parts No AH2685H and N99177) for about $60

·
Registered
12 Posts
New Flange doesnt seem to have affected anything.

Photo of the old flange against the new one the wear groove can clearly be seen.

·
1,462 Posts
FWIW (for what its worth).

About a year after I got my new Terracan, It was serviced under warranty for an oil leak from the rear differential seal (the same one you are talking about).

I remember well, such service took full 3 days at the shop. Since the shop manager was a good friend, he allowed me to "peek" every once in a while, the repair procedure.

Following factory service manuals, the rear differential was removed and the main pinion had to be removed too. The seal was replaced and the whole thing put back together, but it needed all sorts of adjustments for backlash play, etc.

I asked why that seal could not be replaced from the outside, and the mechanic told me that no matter how carefull you are, you cannot put in the new seal without damaging it again, if the main pinion is not removed. The seal had to go in first, then the pinion assembly. If trying to replace the seal with the pinion in place, it could be done, but the inner surface of the seal (the one that touches the pinion shaft) will be damaged. I am no mechanic, but from reading the service manual section on this (see attachment) I can easily discover this is no "home or sunday mechanic" procedure. You need special tools and knowledge to do this (besides the service manual).

Today, 6 years later and about 100,000 kms after, no oil leak has showed from the rear differential (seal or whatever), so, I guess it was done right. Considering this labor was done under warranty, my Hyundai shop could have cut costs by simply replacing the seal without disassembling the differential, but I guess they knew that if they did it that way, my car was more likely to return with the same problem.

I am including the service manual section for the rear differential.

Robert B.

[attachment=26390:TERRACAN...AND_AXLE.pdf]

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sorry but the mechanic was talking nonsense !!!
The Pinion Seal does not actually touch the pinion Shaft, it runs on the 'Flange Companion' pictured above.
This Flange has to be removed to get at the oil seal, so the seal can easily be changed without any damage done to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi just a suggestion my diff sill started leaking at 170,000 km was about to enquire about repairing when mate said to check the diff breather as we do alot of off roading guess what it was blockede so extended to a more protected area after cleaning it now have not seal leakage cost nothing but a bit of time hope this helps cheers danny

·
Registered
2 Posts
file error

FWIW (for what its worth).

About a year after I got my new Terracan, It was serviced under warranty for an oil leak from the rear differential seal (the same one you are talking about).

I remember well, such service took full 3 days at the shop. Since the shop manager was a good friend, he allowed me to "peek" every once in a while, the repair procedure.

Following factory service manuals, the rear differential was removed and the main pinion had to be removed too. The seal was replaced and the whole thing put back together, but it needed all sorts of adjustments for backlash play, etc.

I asked why that seal could not be replaced from the outside, and the mechanic told me that no matter how carefull you are, you cannot put in the new seal without damaging it again, if the main pinion is not removed. The seal had to go in first, then the pinion assembly. If trying to replace the seal with the pinion in place, it could be done, but the inner surface of the seal (the one that touches the pinion shaft) will be damaged. I am no mechanic, but from reading the service manual section on this (see attachment) I can easily discover this is no "home or sunday mechanic" procedure. You need special tools and knowledge to do this (besides the service manual).

Today, 6 years later and about 100,000 kms after, no oil leak has showed from the rear differential (seal or whatever), so, I guess it was done right. Considering this labor was done under warranty, my Hyundai shop could have cut costs by simply replacing the seal without disassembling the differential, but I guess they knew that if they did it that way, my car was more likely to return with the same problem.

I am including the service manual section for the rear differential.

Robert B.

[attachment=26390:TERRACAN...AND_AXLE.pdf]

Hi my reader says the pdf file has errors and cannot be opened
Any chance of a reload
thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
pj

My wife has 2005 terracan 2.9 diesel and the rear Diff started to leak oil a little at first then really badly. No noise but a pain to keep topped up and a funny hiss like bleeding a radiator when releasing the filler bolt. after taking to three garages I was quoted prices to sort it from over a £1000 to £300 with one garage saying the diff would need to be sent away to be refurbished and couldnt give a price.

I am fairly handy with spanner myself so after reading up on the possible courses of the leak I decided to check the differential breather pipe (from the back on the top left hand side of the diff and leads up to vent on the bottom of the car) the hiss of air under pressure when loosening the filler bolt made me check this. The breather was totally blocked so I replaced it with a section of 8mm micro bore copper pipe attached to the diff with rubber hose and jubilee clip then secured to the under body.

leak has stopped totally at a cost of about £25 quid and that included changing the diff oil while I was down their with the recommended LSD oil.

Not 1 mechanic had thought of this at all and all of them were intent on costly repairs to the vehicle. If any one has a oil leak on there diff check the diff breather pipe it could save you a fortune.

pj

1 - 14 of 14 Posts