Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rear creaking noise that occurs whenever the car goes over an uneven surface and the car twists. It sounds like a squeaky spring or Styrofoam moving. The dealer tried adding some insulation to the Styrofoam under the floor behind the 3rd row to no avail. Bsoars said that it required a new spot weld to fix, but I was not able to find any description using search. The car is quiet except for this so I would like to get it fixed. Does anyone else have this noise? Has anybody had it fixed on the LWB? (or SWB?) Thanks for all the help I've received from this forum.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I have a rear creaking noise that occurs whenever the car goes over an uneven surface and the car twists. It sounds like a squeaky spring or Styrofoam moving. The dealer tried adding some insulation to the Styrofoam under the floor behind the 3rd row to no avail. Bsoars said that it required a new spot weld to fix, but I was not able to find any description using search. The car is quiet except for this so I would like to get it fixed. Does anyone else have this noise? Has anybody had it fixed on the LWB? (or SWB?) Thanks for all the help I've received from this forum.
Yes...the info on the spot weld is actually in the DM 2013 SF sub forum...here's the link to the actual page (includes pics too!):

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/260-dm-2013-santa-fe/151490-creaking-dash-14.html#post1241952

Hopefully this solves your issue...having a noise can be a very irritating thing and completely detract from this otherwise awesome drive.

Strongly recommend you check out both sub-forums when seeking info given that much of the info there also applies to the LWB, and vice versa.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/277-dm-2013-lwb-7-seater-models/173849-rattle-squeek-tapping-wind-higher-speeds.html

·
2,258 Posts
check the rear lift gate. often times its the rubber stoppers, or the plastic molding itself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Luck11 and ImStriken,
I will try playing around with the rear lift gate before I bring it to the dealer. The spot weld sounds difficult and I would like to avoid it if at all possible. It seemed like a one off type of fix for that person only. I haven't heard of anyone else having it done although I know others have the rear creaking issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I've tried everything to get rid of the rear creaking noise without success. I've put silicone spray on the rear lift gate moving parts, adjusted the rear lift gate bumpers, removed the spare tire and spare tire Styrofoam compartment, removed everything from the rear, and it still has the creaking noise. Before I ask the dealer to perform the dreaded spot weld fix, is there anybody else that has had this noise and fixed it in some other way? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We have a creak as well, but it seems to be coming from just behind the driver's door when going over speedbumps, small dips, etc. I had the dealership look at it and they think they've located it, but I have to take it in for a whole day for them to fix it. Has anyone had a similar problem and found the cause and fix? That way I can tell the dealership where to look if they can't locate the source.

·
Registered
222 Posts
All of a sudden mine has developed the same creaking sound.

I am taking mine to the dealers next week to see what the cause is and hopefully it can be fixed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope they find the cause. Mine is coming from the rear driver side when the goes over a small bump and the car twists.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i'm having the same creaking coming from our LWB santa fe. seems to be coming from right by the rear tires. only happens when we go over a small bump or dip and the suspension flexes (parking lot speed bump or slower uneven terrain where you can feel the suspension flex or move).

i'm thinking about taking it into the dealer to have them look at it as i can't track down the exact source yet other than when the suspension flexes. i've looked at the rear door and other items as noted in some of these other posts but no luck yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too, have that same noise when backing out of an inclined driveway at an angle onto a flat street. Steve636's description is dead on about the flexing but I think it's more of the frame flexing. It is louder with more weight loaded in the back end. I'm not too concerned though. I've heard the same sound in other vehicles on that same driveway and it came from the rear stabilizer bar.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I too, have that same noise when backing out of an inclined driveway at an angle onto a flat street. Steve636's description is dead on about the flexing but I think it's more of the frame flexing. It is louder with more weight loaded in the back end. I'm not too concerned though. I've heard the same sound in other vehicles on that same driveway and it came from the rear stabilizer bar.
I too believe it is the frame flexing. If you click on the link "creaking dash" in an earlier post you will read about a possible spot weld fix. I've been hesitant to have the dealer do it and am waiting around for someone to come up with an easier alternative.:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just came back from the dealership and they took the left inside panel off ( inside the cargo area) and added some foam as the panels were rubbing together.

Time will tell if it is a fix or not.

·
Registered
756 Posts
+1
I have a creaking noise too.
I can reproduce it only driving straight over a particular light bump on a particular road at low speed. Interestingly, I cannot reproduce the problem anywhere else: any other bump, road imperfection, etc... is nicely absorbed so far.
To be honest I am not able to locate the creak location. It feels like an old spring, that's how the wife described it.
Workaround: avoid that road :-D
No, seriously, I will pay more attention in my next trips to pin point the issue, I would be happy to have this fixed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The fix that my dealer did seems to be working tat is where he added foam as I indicated before.
However I was on the Hyundai Service site and came across this TSB that pertains to the problem with an earlier model of Santa Fe ( 2007-2008).

Maybe this is an answer

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
I am back form my first visit to the dealer for the 7,500 miles service, $59. Includes tires rotation,and multipoint inspection.

My main complaints:
1. The paint chips off too easy. Response: this is normal, nothing wrong with paint.
I have read other cars forums and some have the same problem... the paint in new models is a weaker to comply to some environment regulation... well, it does not bother me much anymore, I got some skills in paint touch-ups ;-)

2. Creaking rear noise. Response: the suspension groans on expansion on slow deep bumps. They were able to reproduce the issue and fixed by tightening and lubing the suspension parts.

I am very happy with the outcome. The rear creaking was not frequent but always reproducible in a few roads. That is completely gone now :)
Only worried about the quality of the line assembly...

·
Registered
23 Posts
My creaking noise seems to be coming from the rear driver's side door or around there. My dealer sent a request to Hyundai Canada for a fix and they came back saying I should take it to an autobody place to find the source, although they would cover it under warranty. I'm willing to do this, but the dealer said it could take up to a week to determine where the creak is coming from....in the meantime they'd give me their loaner...an Elantra GT....WTF? I can't fit one hockey bag in the back nevermind two, which I need to haul quite often especially on weekends. For now, I think I'll wait until the end of hockey season and then we'll live with the Elantra for a bit, but I'm disappointed that they don't have a Santa Fe loaner to give people who bought a Santa Fe for the cargo room....

·
Registered
756 Posts
Chasing a noise can be very time consuming. Do not leave it up the shop to drive it and /or figure out any abnormal noise.
The best you can do is to make sure you can always reproduce the issue at will.

In my case I took the mechanical with me, drove 15 minutes to the place I knew I could reproduce the noise. Once the mechanical heard the noise he was able to pin point some areas already. Going back to the shop was already set to fixing rather than investigating.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, OP here. Now that there are two confirmed fixes for the rear creaking noise, I have the courage to bring my LWB to the dealer armed with a printout of this thread. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts