Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After dropping the rear seats I couldn't raise the double rear seat back to the upright position as the centre seat belt had retracted into it's reel (which is mounted inside the seat back) and wouldn't pull out again.

Happily I wasn't obliged to struggle with it & the dealer sorted it out within an hour or so. Unfortunately this means I didn't get to see the fix but I imagine the seat belt was released by undoing the fixing bolt under the seat squab and then removing the seat back cover to access the reel.

Anyhow I don't suppose any of us will have to do this job ourselves for a few years but it could be an inconvience so it is worth putting up an explanation.

I have the driver's seat as far back as it will go and therefore the top of the rear seat back rubs on the bottom of the rear seat squab when it it lowered. This pushed the little plastic 'button', which is let into the seat belt precisely to stop this problem happening, past the plastic trim into which the seat belt disappears. The seat belt then 'locked' and wouldn't pull out.

It must be a recurrent problem as the receptionist diagnosed it over the phone and they replaced the trim in case the opening had widened, but I am always very careful now, when lowering the seat, to check that the button isn't pushed past the trim.

On the subject of load carrying, the car wasn't purchased for this purpose, but I am staggered by what I can fit in. I have carried a full size door and a cement mixer (but not at the same time :grin: ) and can fit in 2.5 metre lengths of timber or pipe, all with the ablity to close the hatch down

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, just registered on this Forum and looks like a very useful site.

I have a 59 plate i10 Comfort and exactly the same thing happend to my car a few weeks ago. The belt had self locked and there was no way it was going to release. I popped into the main dealer and the solution was to unscrew the bottom bracket to release the belt. You can then release the self lock by retracting the belt into the mechanism and then pulling out again and re-attaching the bottom bracket. The problem seems to be that the "button" is too small and slips through the plastic trim easily. The dealer recommended removing the button completely but not sure if it would prevent the problem happening again. Hope this is useful
Regards,
Jon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Many thanks Steptoe for your description and insight into this problem. My centre seat belt is locked. So it's back to the dealer; no more brute force.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Your best bet to stop it happening is to pull the centre belt out and connect to its centre belt catch then lower the seat back. :grin: -The cap change is a temporary measure and the button will once more go into the reel after a while. :(
By pulling the centre belt out of the reel before you lower the rear seat back you ensure you have sufficient ‘free belt’ to enable you to lift the seat later on. If it does not, you can always release the belt from its catch, giving some slack and allowing you to lift the seat back to the vertical or allow the recoil mechanism to release some slack belt.

We always connect the centre belt, pull some slack through the lap bit then lower. Saves a lot of agro later on. :thumbsup:

We have had the cap replaced x 2, the rear belt replaced and it still fails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts