Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, well not even a month old and I've already backed into a stone wall!!! Ugh! Any idea on the cost to replace the bumper? It is scraped on the side and also cracked :(

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Price of bumper cover and parts cover by the cover,, add paint, add labor to install

Better off to take money and save it, who knows, you might damage the bumper agin in 2 week doing something else.

I would venture a really rough guess of $750-900,,, that be a good house payment or something that would appreciate in value, rather a depreciating automobile..

·
Registered
893 Posts
Typical baseline cost for a competent body shop to replace bumper cover and respray is about $1K. But if there is any underlying damage, it adds to this.

Removing the bumper cover is not difficult and you could take a new one in and have it color matched for less.

- Mark

·
22,793 Posts
That's what bumper stickers are for, yes? Truth be known, that's probably one of the reasons they came to be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I spent the day going to auto body shops. Prices ranging from $550 - just under $1000!! That's a crazy price range, so I'm glad I shopped around!

·
Registered
163 Posts
The bumper cover its self is just under $300. Another $150-200 for paint, then installation.

If you got a quote for $550, I'd take it if it's a reputable shop.

·
Registered
674 Posts
When I needed a front bumper cover for my Elantra Touring, I got prices ranging from $500 to $1200. Two quotes ($950 and $1200) were for OEM bumper covers done by bigger, established shops. The $500 option was an aftermarket bumper cover, at a one-guy garage.

I went with the $500 option. Other than a couple of places where I could see rough edges on the paint, was not a bad option.

·
Registered
893 Posts
While price is certainly a consideration, I wouldn't make it the primary one when choosing a body shop. If there is any industry with a such a wide variance in quality, I'm not aware of it. A shoddy job will look like **** in a couple years.

- Mark

·
Registered
196 Posts
While price is certainly a consideration, I wouldn't make it the primary one when choosing a body shop. If there is any industry with a such a wide variance in quality, I'm not aware of it. A shoddy job will look like **** in a couple years.

- Mark
Very well said, I was a victim of a shoddy shop about 15 years ago and it wasn't a fun situation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
To put this in perspective..

Someone "rubbed" their car against the back end of mine while it was parked.
The paint is all damaged on the driver side end of the bumper (two scratches on the adjoining side panel by the wheel. But no Broken parts.

Thankfully the lady who did it left a note.
Filed a police report for insurance purposes so everything is covered and my insurance will not be affected.

The body shop said it would be about $1500-$1800 to fix up.
I will know for sure tomorrow morning once everything is approved by the insurance company.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Some one backed into my car and took off any one find any good sites for the bumper cover. I'v looked on line and I can't even find one.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Some one backed into my car and took off any one find any good sites for the bumper cover. I'v looked on line and I can't even find one.
try this site... maybe there is a used one in good shape even in your paint color from a location near you or willing to ship...
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

·
Registered
155 Posts
The advice not to make cheapest your criteria is good. If a bumper cover is not properly painted you will have paint peeling in short order. A flexible bumper cover requires a different technique than painting a panel, if flex agents are not used then the paint will peel. As well if an aftermarket or jobber cover is used there could be fitment issues. Ask around before committing to a cheap job.

Pat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Depends on your budget

Depends on your budget. Road Armor are the best looking in my opinion but are high dollar. Road Armor offers Off Road Bumpers, Heavy Duty Bumpers & Aftermarket Bumpers. Chevy, GMC, Dodge, Ford, Jeep, Toyota Front & Rear Bumper Replacement.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
the best way to find a good body shop is to ask a good independent repair shop. they will know who in the area does good work, because they get asked this all the time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
try this site... maybe there is a used one in good shape even in your paint color from a location near you or willing to ship...
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

You beat me to it warpdriv! One need only search this site a few times to figure out that nearly every Hyundai sitting in a salvage yard due to a collision is almost always obliterated frontally. I drove to Louisville, KY from fabulous west Tennessee to pick up a complete LH rear door for our 2014 Elantra GT as it was already Windy Sea Blue and in near perfect condition. Our creative 20 year old figured out in a matter of milliseconds how to inflict a minimal dent that maximized the amount of labor it would have taken to fix it and involve paint work not only on its outer skin. That's my Boy!! Bairds Auto Salvage gave me a deal my chosen body shop said they couldn't have come close to themselves.

Trust me, your bumper cover is a few clicks away on www.car-part.com. Be advised though if you ever are in the market for items like seats, don't believe that Grade A means the seat was carefully removed from the donor car and sitting in dry pest-free storage in pristine condition. Many salvage yards will let such items sit in the carcass and will only rapidly degrade as doors and cabin glass are parted-out (if they weren't already compromised in the event that destined it for a salvage yard in the first place). Never hurts to call and ask for recent pictures and/or condition assessment before you apply butt to seat, optimistically drive there only to be majorly disappointed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I too need to repair my rear bumper, there are scratches and there is a hole in it under the reflector.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts