Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And, out from the woodwork I crawl, lol. Haven't been on these forums for a couple years now. Hope everyone's doing well. :)

Anyways, my 2013 Elantra has been amazing thus far. Just passed 100,000kms and still no major issues at all. I've even been using the car for towing (at times, some questionably heavy loads) and this car just takes it with vigor! :D

The only actual issue that I've run into now for a third time is the rear brakes sticking/dragging slightly and making a loud squealing sound as a result. I've replaced the rear pads and rotors once already and have serviced the rear calipers and sliders twice. The sliders weren't necessarily "seized", but they had stiffened up a bit. It's mainly with the driver's side rear.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so, what did you do to combat or eliminate this?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
remove guide pin and boot, make sure the housing and pin is shinny and no rust, then grease with synthetic brake lube. Push the pin to the buttom, pinch the boot to let the air out. Check the surface of caliper piston under the piston seal, remove rust and dust, replace the piston if it's heavily rusted

To remove the rust I recommend muriatic acid

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
Use to have this problem on Ford Tauruses with the rear disc. It was always the pins. I use to get a drill bit the exact or nearest undersized of the bore of the caliper bracket pin guides. Then after spraying some WD40 like lube into it turn the drill bit by hand. Did a good job of cleaning them out.

I found too the standard silicone grease was not very effective in the rear. I use to use some copper anti seize. Just keep it away from rubber parts.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions guys. :)

I guess it's one of those things you have to deal with from time to time. I'll just be extra thorough this time with cleaning and re-lubing the sliders/guides and will try some better quality grease. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2015 Tucson, 2006 Toyota Matrix
63 Posts
I had similar issues on my 2011 while I had it. In my case it was the pads themselves binding in the caliper due to rust on the side of the pad/caliper. Some quality time with a file/wire brush/etc. to remove the rust, then a little anti-seize on the surfaces in question (not on the friction material) would keep 'em happy for a while. I started doing it preemptively when switching the tires in spring/fall.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. :)

I guess it's one of those things you have to deal with from time to time. I'll just be extra thorough this time with cleaning and re-lubing the sliders/guides and will try some better quality grease. Thanks again.
+1

Use the purple synthetic caliper grease every spring and you shouldn't have a problem.

Gotta admit that I don't miss this annual ritual since buying a Volvo, but like all machines the Volvo has its own issues. If a blob of grease once a year is your biggest problem then life is pretty good :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
it all has to do with how easily the pads move in their carriers. - when you take the caliper off and then are unable to remove the pads from the carrier without a chisel and hammer. This is where the problem lies. the pad should be able to slide right out easily.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I ceased use of the purple ceramic Permatex stuff long ago,, the material in the mix acts as a "binder" after long time on the slide pins to mount bracket bore

Calipers can clean as whisltle,, but do no good if pads tight/stuck in the mounts.. remove the shims, and clean the mounting of chunked up rust so the pads move freely in the mounts... I take and spritz the raw iron with black under coat used in our recall. install shims, lube shims, and install pads..

Application of black under coat from recall materials to slow rust formation

Disregard the purple lube here, this is a very old pic

Attachments

Reactions: Red Raspberry

·
Registered
2015 Tucson, 2006 Toyota Matrix
63 Posts
I ceased use of the purple ceramic Permatex stuff long ago,, the material in the mix acts as a "binder" after long time on the slide pins to mount bracket bore

Calipers can clean as whisltle,, but do no good if pads tight/stuck in the mounts.. remove the shims, and clean the mounting of chunked up rust so the pads move freely in the mounts... I take and spritz the raw iron with black under coat used in our recall. install shims, lube shims, and install pads..

Application of black under coat from recall materials to slow rust formation

Disregard the purple lube here, this is a very old pic
Pictures worth a thousand words - that's more or less what I was attempting to describe. +1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts