Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Well I thought it over very carefully and decided to get Emma fixed up.
:trophy:

Fixing a car - especially the routine things that all cars need sooner or later - is always smarter than buying a new one.

A new car costs five or ten brake jobs as soon as we drive it off the lot, in initial depreciation. And for what? To feel good for a few days until we get our first scratch? What an insane game we play.

Andrew, part of the problem with Hyundai brake pads is the tight fit. In addition to greasing the slides every year or two, consider grinding a thin layer of metal off the tabs so they fit a bit looser. Did this for my daughter's Elantra, and as a result the original brakes are still working great after six years of Ottawa's worst.

Enjoy your new old car :)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Right Rear Brake Issues???

Wow, I just ran across this post (hadn't been on the forum for a while). I just got through doing a pad and rotor job on all four wheels after my advisor during my last 'Maintenance For Life' appointment said the rear pads needed replacement. I politely declined because I'm light on the brakes and the car doesn't even have 30K miles on it. So I went home and pulled the wheels and checked the brakes. Of note, the inspection checklist showed front pads were good at 8mm and rear were not so good at 2mm. Now the prior maintenance from 6 months before showed all four wheels at 'Green' (or 5mm or more remaining). So the driver (left) rear looked fine and was at 5mm or more on the pads. But the passenger (right) rear was definitely at or below 2mm on both pads! I thought it was weird and did the old Google search about what would cause one wheel/axle to wear faster brake-wise than the others. I didn't find anything definitive so I just ordered new pads and rotors for all four wheels and did the job, which was pretty easy, actually. Nothing stood out during the maintenance, the culprit axle wasn't really any different than the other three. Caliper slide pins were lubed and freely moving. Caliper looked just like its left rear partner, no issue with the piston and no leaks. So I'm going to put some miles on it and then just pull the wheels and check the pads, and hopefully, the rear left and right sets will look like they are wearing evenly.

·
Registered
740 Posts
That's why I kick myself everyday. If I waited a year and spend an extra $2,000, I could have purchased a Toyota Corolla Sport. It still has impeccable reliability ratings. I used to want a Honda but their quality is going down.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Well that was nice while it lasted. Left side is seized up again already. I'm done so beyond done dealing with this I won't say what I want to do to this car just in case my insurance company happens upon this post. I'm just going swap the rear over to drums....these rear discs are clearly a defective design. This problem is far more widespread than most people realize and I've come to the realization they will NEVER work right.

Edit: I'm so beyond f***ing pissed off right now. If there's no parts warranty, I'll just drive it with the brakes stuck on like I've been doing since it was new and ditch it next spring. I'm not putting another dime into it. Screw this car and the morons that built it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Got her back just a couple hours ago with aftermarket calipers and new tires.
Sorry about your problems.

Your aftermarket caliper seized up. Not Hyundai's fault. Get a replacement from where you got those.

Swapping over to drums could be a complicated job, not just the drum brakes themselves, but also the front to rear braking balance.

·
Registered
13,336 Posts
Well that was nice while it lasted. Left side is seized up again already. I'm done so beyond done dealing with this I won't say what I want to do to this car just in case my insurance company happens upon this post. I'm just going swap the rear over to drums....these rear discs are clearly a defective design. This problem is far more widespread than most people realize and I've come to the realization they will NEVER work right.

Edit: I'm so beyond f***ing pissed off right now. If there's no parts warranty, I'll just drive it with the brakes stuck on like I've been doing since it was new and ditch it next spring. I'm not putting another dime into it. Screw this car and the morons that built it.

For a minute there I thought you were going to have to change your user name...:eek:

Swap to drums is easier than swap to discs. Good luck.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Rotating piston rear calipers are also on the Mid 80s Audi's and I switched over to Japanese then so I don't know if Audi/VW kept the rear rotating rear brake calipers that you might get some clues how to fix if there was an issue with them back then or maybe even present cars. Could be totally different designs, but worth looking into to see if there is a fix or mickey mouse fix.

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
Don't swap to drums just sell the car. If you thought the suspension stuff you did this week was a PITA just wait till you get into this one. Just break everything down and clean then lube the crap out of them and you should be okay for a bit.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

·
22,787 Posts

Hey, Andrew...what's it been? Five weeks since the rebuild? Not telling you what to do, but if it was me, I'd be in that mechanic's garage asking some tough questions. I'll wager he fixes it for free. And @Tiger-Heli had a great point on the tab grinding.

Most shops warranty their work. If they care about their reputation in the community, that is. Go visit the guy. Hang a big guilt trip on him. :blush:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts