Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. Putting new rotors and pads on my 2011. ANY tips on getting the rear rotors off- seems like the E-Brake shoes are holding on to the rotors? I've heard just hammer on tthe rotor bell with a mallet- REALLY the only solution?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Some vehicles use a screw to hold the rotor to the hub that will need to be removed, but generally the main culprit is rust. Spray around the hub and lug studs with penetrating fluid (PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc.) and yes tap the hub area with a hammer careful not to bang up the lug studs and it should loosen up the rotor. You can even try banging at the back of the rotor while spinning it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TY! I got one off, after about an hour of tapping and wrestling with it and lots of PB blaster, but thought there may have been an easier way to free those darm e-brake shoes from the rotor. Deadblow and rotation it is- My thanks for the input!

-JG

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sometimes a lip will form around the inside edge of the "drum" part of the rotor where the e-brake shoes ride which causes removal headache. The new rotors should slide right on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and just pound through that, right? The new rotor on the other side was a breeze once I got the old one off. Also- Are the tabs for lift this thing sturdy enough for stands too or is there a better location?

·
Registered
50 Posts
and just pound through that, right? The new rotor on the other side was a breeze once I got the old one off. Also- Are the tabs for lift this thing sturdy enough for stands too or is there a better location?
had this problem recently as well...
there is a rubber grommet on the hub surface of the rotor, turn it to the bottom back area until you see the toothed adjustment wheel, then get a small screwdriver in there and back off the adjustment wheel until your ebrake shoes clear the ridge on the drum surface.

Clearly you will need to readjust the ebrake once the new rotors are on.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,524 Posts
There is the method of using bolts and nuts at where the brake caliper bolts onto.
But, that was mainly done for front rotors. Probably can adapt to rear rotor removal

Here is a video. Personally don't like the video quality.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts