Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had 30,000 km service done and was told the rear disc brake pads are almost completely worn out. The front ones are hardly worn and I'm not a fierce type driver who jams on the brakes or one who leaves the handbrake on..

I asked the service manager how come the rears are worn yet the fronts aren't - his helpful answer was sometimes this happens.

I will buy a set and change them myself but anyone else had similar wear on the rears ? ?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Rear pads are typically thinner than front since they do less work. But you could have a proportioning valve issue. Hopefully a warranty item. Now try to convince the dealer to check it. :(

Were both sides on rear equally worn?

·
Registered
518 Posts
We've had a couple people on here complaining about the same thing...I have 38,xxx miles and my rears are fine. Maybe sticky calipers?? Definitely have them check to be safe.

·
Registered
283 Posts
We've had a couple people on here complaining about the same thing...I have 38,xxx miles and my rears are fine. Maybe sticky calipers?? Definitely have them check to be safe.
I was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It also could be that for some reason the e-brake isn't fully releasing when the brake is let off...

30,000 Km is only 18,000 miles. That's WAY too soon to be replacing pads.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>> 30,000 Km is only 18,000 miles. That's WAY too soon to be replacing pads.

Yes, my thoughts exactly, shouldn't be worn out yet. There's no smell of overheating and I have had a feel of the discs at the end of a drive and they aren't hot. The fuel economy is very good, and I can't detect any signs of dragging or sticking - the car will roll easily down a gentle slope.

Yesterday got a price for a complete pad kit for both rears - AUD 140.00 - that pees me off, these Hyundai Accents were supposed to be a budget vehicle ! !

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update - yesterday bought a Brake Pad Kit ( 4 pads ) from large Hyundai dealer on the other side of town, not my small local who would have had to order in the parts. # on box = 58302 1RA30. I stressed this was for the REAR BRAKES.

This morning took out the old pads on one wheel which were certainly worn down, almost to the bent metal "indicator" which will touch on the rotor and squeal when the pads are nearly at their wear limit. Rotor in good shape and no evidence of disc or caliper overheating .

Then it started raining heavily and I was working outside. Indoors I noticed the new pads have different numbers printed on them -

Old outer pad was 394 GL 3B, new outer 394 GFOC

Old inner was partly worn by contact with the caliper piston ??? ???B, new inner 394 GFBA

I measured the new pad thickness, 10 mm. Eyeballing the caliper it looks like even if I compress the piston flush with the caliper there isn't going to be room for the two new pads and the rotor.

Remembering grandpaswagon's words earlier "Rear pads are typically thinner than front since they do less work. " I put the brake back together with the old pads and drove off to work.

Does anybody know if my new pads are fronts or rears ? ?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'd bet they will fit and you got the right pads. Very common to have almost zero clearance when all put together......... in others words - a tight fit. Eyeballing no good, only measuring counts. There is beauty in a factory service manual for specs.

If you asked for rears, you got rears. Numbers will vary and change. Fronts would have a different profile.

Be sure to use high quality caliper grease on all moving or metal to metal parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two different materials

Had same problem on my Accent. Researching now and appears OEM rear pad are organic and fronts are ceramic. May explain the difference in wear....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts