Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,
I have a 2012 1.8 that I purchased 2 years ago and have 28,000 Kms total.
The car is driven 90 % city miles and I use the manual gears in downshifting to save on the brakes.

In having the dealer install my winter tires, Atlantic Canada, they tell me, that while my front pads are okay, 5-6mm and should be serviced for $60, my rear pads are 1mm and I need to replace my rear pads and rotors for $500.

I love my Elantra, baby it, and thought I was being good on the brakes.
Does this make sense to other forum members ? Both pads and rotors ?

Sorry, yes I'm New so please have patience if I've left anything out or not posted exactly correct.

Any input is greatly appreciated !
Thank you.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
It sounds like you have the same issue I had with the rear calipers not releasing except yours was far worse as my pads did not need to be changed out. It fell under warranty and the dealer replaced both rear calipers.

Also, since you live in a road salt area, it is highly recommended by many here that you have the rear brakes serviced and cleaned annually. Don67 will no doubt be in here shortly to back me up on this. ;)

·
22,788 Posts
Don67 will no doubt be in here shortly to back me up on this. ;)
If he doesn't, I will confirm that he's a proponent of this step. Some elect to do this themselves. I've considered it, but put it off since we don't have the brutal salt-infected road problems you guys experience. By Dartmouth, I'm thinking "New Hampshire?"

There's a thread on this somewhere. Just do a search and it'll eventually show up. Or stay tuned, because someone will hook you up.

:00000732: to the forum.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You only need to resurface the rotors if it isn't scratched.

·
Registered
911 Posts
You only need to resurface the rotors if it isn't scratched.
Even if lightly scratched if there is still enough thickness they can be resurfaced. I just have a preference for new rotors when changing pads and rebuilding the caliber when I DIY. Pain in the ass to take them for resurfacing when I can just bolt on everything new. :auto:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have come to like ceramic pads and I wear out a set of rotors to a set of pads. These cars come with organic pads, that is why they are so touchy. You can have the rotors resurfaced and coat the caliper pins with antiseize compound. Pads and rotors are not covered, they come under the wear items list I was told when I bought my extended warranty.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
DO NOT USE anti-seize on the slide pins..

·
22,788 Posts
Your brand/type recommendation for a Hyundai, sir? I have come to look at you as the expert in these matters. I'd rather have the pro's point of view rather than some counter guy at the local parts store that can't even install a battery without it becoming an event.

·
Registered
911 Posts
BRAKE SERVICE BEST PRACTICES RECOMMENDATIONS
OCTOBER, 2010 TSB 10-BR-001
CRC Brake Caliper Grease is​
recommended on every brake​
service job for use on:​
- Caliper sliding pins​
- Brake pad backing plates​
- Brake pad ears​
This grease or similar is available​
at any local automotive
parts store.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Your brand/type recommendation for a Hyundai, sir? I have come to look at you as the expert in these matters. I'd rather have the pro's point of view rather than some counter guy at the local parts store that can't even install a battery without it becoming an event.
Yes I to would like to hear your response on this as I have always used anti-seize or caliper lube on the slid pins. Have see too many rusty and not sliding to not put anything on them.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Our parts dept been buying 2 flavor of stuff for a while.. the purple stuff seen in the pic, and there is a clear lube with blue tint in similar size bottle that does not have the super high heat rating the purple stuff has.. I have to look at bottle at work and post it, as I for life of me cannot find it right away.. They quit buying the purple stuff, dont know why, it is less cost than the clear blue tint stuff with lower heat rating.

As far as the anti-seize thing,, I have seen it lose the liquid oil portion (heat burns away the oil), and leave the associated powder compounds behind dry, thus binding the pins in the bore to where caliper would not move freely to center itself over the pads.. I seen this on my car, had slight issues with getting the pins out.. Cleaned all the mud away and used caliper lube when re-assemble

·
22,788 Posts
Awesome! Thanks!!!

·
22,788 Posts
Surprised a dealer shop used Permatex as it's almost twice the priced of other synthetic brake grease.
This may be one of those "little" things that makes a "big" difference and separates the so-so dealers from those that really do care about first-class workmanship and their customer's satisfaction.

Normally, we wouldn't know these little tidbits of information if not for members like sbr711 and others providing a heads-up of their personal experiences. Or, in sbr711's case, expert and professional experiences.

·
Registered
911 Posts
This may be one of those "little" things that makes a "big" difference and separates the so-so dealers from those that really do care about first-class workmanship and their customer's satisfaction.

I don't think so. ??? Both the CRC in the TSB and the Permatex are synthetic brake grease. The Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant is top of the line and they advertise it to 3000*F, that's 3 grand. The CRC is advertised to 600*F. Does anyone really think more than 600* is needed???

The Permatex "Extreme" is top grade and probably the better grease. The regular Permatex caliber lube grease is rated to 425*F.

The new car dealer PA probably just made a mistake especially when Hyundai recommends CRC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all !

Greatly appreciated to everyone for all of your input and advice !
Thank you.

Gotta love technology eh ?

I'm going to proceed with the dealership doing it, and the pricing (that was Cdn, so higher than US) seems fair. It is a well known and respected dealership here and it is great to get the advice in a forum like this to be able to confirm what others are experiencing.

I've updated my profile, close to New Hampshire :)
Dartmouth (Halifax), Nova Scotia in Atlantic Canada.
(can probably tell from my accent)

Cheers.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Here is other stuff we using currently.. had to look at bottle for brand name - clear with light ble tint, looked at label, says 425 degree

1 - 20 of 24 Posts