Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 sonata that was purchased new about 6 months later left brake bulb went out and was replaced with one from the auto parts store. shortly after same bulb goes out again and again now on each side.
took the car in for routine maintenance told the service techs what was going on and they said it could be the sockets and maybe water got in but they were working fine now but the left socket was warped somehow it was very hard trying to get the bulb out. a few months later, now both bulbs are out and they were black as if they were burnt. took it back in was told it could be this or that and i was responsible for the charges for them to fix it. all of this time i've been buying the bulbs and replacing them. i think this is more of a serious issue and should not have to spend money on having this repaired.

Could anyone tell me if this would be covered by warranty, or what is causing my light to constantly go out?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Just from "breezing" over your post--

New car

6 month later a brake light bulb inop

You should have cruised dealer for warranty bulb replace

You bought bulb at store and install yourself..

Now bulb was difficult to remove, and socket messed up.. did you install bulb correctly ? Dual filament bulb has 2 contact, and 2 locating pin on side of bulb base, 1 hi, 1 low, these need to match slots in slocket to orient bulb with proper contact so low watt filament glow with tail lights on, and hi watt filament glow with brake pedal application,, so they may have found socket damaged by improper bulb install, which is not a Hyundai material/workmanship fault, so you be liable for cost of repair.

See it all the time, drive down road when lights required to be on, fella up front has a tail light glowing normal, and has other bulb glowing bright like they on brake pedal, but they just rolling along and come up to stop, and maybe the tail bulb will get bright as they apply brake pedal along with 3rd brake light if it happens to still work.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you have less than 60,000 miles on the car, the dealer should be looking at it under warranty. Next time, take the car to them while the bulb is out and explain that it keeps blowing bulbs.

Bulbs will not be covered under warranty, but the underlying cause of the constant bulb failures should be investigated and repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My left bulb just went out a few days ago was a complete b*%$h to get out ...ended up the glass separated from the metal and I had to used needle nosed pliers to twist and rip out the metal end!
I found the plastic socket to be very sharp around the edges making it hard to hold
got it out in the end and bought 2 bulbs from Canadian tire was going to replace both but tried a quick go at the other side and it would not move so i left it alone for now
not keen on these kind of bulbs

Bose

1 - 4 of 4 Posts