Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I would like to remove the rear brake drum on my '95 Accent but it seems to be stuck.

I have removed the wheel and the two small screws on the drum and expected the drum to slide off. It will not budge though. Do I have to remove the wheel bearing nut as well?

TIA for any advice.

Mart

·
Registered
422 Posts
No there is nothing else holding it on that you must remove.

What has happened is between the drum and the hub, develops rust.
To overcome this problem, you must strike the flat surface on the drum with a hammer, no this will not cause any damage.
You may have to do this quite a few times before you break the bond between the drum and hub that the rust has caused.
The drum will then be quite easily removed.
Be sure though to apply some water dispersant to these two surfaces, keeping in mind not to over saturate other wise you may contaminate your linings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (nittedal_boy @ Oct 23 2004, 08:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949
Hi all.

I would like to remove the rear brake drum on my '95 Accent but it seems to be stuck.

I have removed the wheel and the two small screws on the drum and expected the drum to slide off. It will not budge though. Do I have to remove the wheel bearing nut as well?

TIA for any advice.

Mart
The drum will come off with the spindle nut still in place, but the drum is often rusted to the hub. On most vehicles (not just Hyundai) the drum must be struck with a hammer to break it free.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hyundai brake drums also have 2 holes in them that are threaded. If the hammer trick doesn't work (I don't think my drums were removed for 12 years when I tried to hammer them off) you can always find screws that fit in, and when you tighten them, the drum will pull off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts